Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SATIN FINISH/LONG HAIR CLUB

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
Here is another pet. Borsalino Angore 7 3/8

[URL="
P1000754.jpg

Drool-worthy.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Emerson Beaver Brush

ScottF said:
I'm guessing this is early '40s, late '30s? It has a huge Union tag - an inch or more square. That 'Hamberger' store tag is actually stapled on (you can see staples in last pic).

Unfortunately I moved most of the images of this hat, so here's a re-post (sold to a lounger):

EmersonSide2.jpg

EmersonSweatLogo.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1920's Parkway

Some really fabulous long-hairs posted lately. After sort of regretting selling my 7 1/8 (also too small) Emerson, because I couldn't stand the idea of ripping out a beautiful vintage sweatband, this even smaller size 7 came along, but sans sweat. So today I removed the liner and ribbon/bow, cleaned thoroughly, and it's now drying on the block. Granted, I lost a little height by putting it on a 7 1/4 block (it's now only a little over 5 1/2 inches!!), but I still have 2.5" of brim, and it's on my favorite block :) so I know it will look good, although not like it did.

Question: should I retain the original '20s bow? Looks kind of weird these days, and I've already destroyed the original shape.

Before re-sizing:

ParkwaySide.jpg

Drying on the block:

OnBlockSideMed.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
M_Jones said:
Scott-I like it. :) I would keep the original bow but that is my preference...

Thanks, I'm going to return the bow and liner to the hat, and add a grosgrain ribbon to replace the missing sweatband.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Just to play the devils advocate ..Id go with a vintage light purple or darker silver ribbon with a square bow....thats just me...I think the silver would really bring out the lushness of the hat..mabey even some dark black stripes down the center of the bow\ to accent the lush dark color a little more. Anyway the hat is very lush and I think you need a bow to help to show this off a little more, black on black will not do ....:p

jeffconnors said:
Just to play the devils advocate ..Id go with a vintage light purple or darker silver ribbon with a square bow....thats just me...I think the silver would really bring out the lushness of the hat..mabey even some dark black stripes down the center of the bow\ to accent the lush dark color a little more. Anyway the hat is very lush and I think you need a bow to help to show this off a little more, black on black will not do ....:p

These 20s/30s black long hairs/velours usually have wide black ribbons/bows. I was thinking about going with a different color with my Seal Velour restore but I stuck with a similar (width, color, bow) black style ribbon/bow.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
These 20s/30s black long hairs/velours usually have wide black ribbons/bows. I was thinking about going with a different color with my Seal Velour restore but I stuck with a similar (width, color, bow) black style ribbon/bow.

Yep. I have to agree with Jeff, though. I have another '20s black fedora with a black ribbon that has a silvery sheen, and it looks fabulous. After reading Jeff's response (thanks, Jeff), I took out the original black ribbon and put it next to the hat. It's very dull in comparison with the type of ribbon Jeff suggests.

But I feel the necessity to keep it as original as possible, so I'll stick with the original ribbon and liner. It's almost dry - can't wait to start sewing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou