Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SATIN FINISH/LONG HAIR CLUB

ScottF said:
Yep. I have to agree with Jeff, though. I have another '20s black fedora with a black ribbon that has a silvery sheen, and it looks fabulous. After reading Jeff's response (thanks, Jeff), I took out the original black ribbon and put it next to the hat. It's very dull in comparison with the type of ribbon Jeff suggests.

But I feel the necessity to keep it as original as possible, so I'll stick with the original ribbon and liner. It's almost dry - can't wait to start sewing.

Actually in my case the restore ribbon has more sheen than the original (the original is similar to yours). I decided to keep it as original as possible so stuck with black ribbon (same width and bow).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Actually in my case the restore ribbon has more sheen than the original (the original is similar to yours). I decided to keep it as original as possible so stuck with black ribbon (same width and bow).

Sounds like a good plan. It's off the block - very thin felt, very high quality, takes any bash I desire. Thanks to you and Jeff for your suggestions.

edited 12/18 - just found some early 1900's 25 ligne black ribbon, so will duplicate the original (somewhat). I'm really thrilled with this hat, but debating on the sweat - it is big enough to take a leather sweatband, but it the modern ones look so inappropriate on these old hats.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
here's my entry into this category of sweet hats
v489z6.jpg

2wpp8w9.jpg

2iv09he.jpg

its a borsalino twenty five, my favorite hat so far.
more on the Borsalino brotherhood thread.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
What have we were?

Fished this out of the bay because it's green and it's a velour. What's not to like? ;)
Italian made Tyrolean style green velour. The brand appears to be Finissimo

ItalianGreenVelourprofile2.jpg

Nice thick pile on the velour, seems to be really good felt. A few minor marks near the pinch and some wear on the sweat. It needs to be stretched since it seems to have been a smallish 7 1/2 in it's youth and it's shrunk since then. And the plastic liner protector simply has to go. Aside from that I don't really see any issues. Liner is in great condition with original stock label. Owner's initials in the sweat.
Stock label says the color is Mauve but it's really green.
1 7/8" overwelt brim, crown is app 5" when open.
Interesting band. Usually I see a fancy know on these cord bands but this one just has a piece of the felt wrapped around the cords and the feather pin stuck the felt. I think the feathers will have to go too.
Any help for identification would be greatly appreciated.

ItalianGreenVelourfront3.jpg

ItalianGreenVelourlinercrown4.jpg

ItalianGreenVelourstocktag8.jpg

ItalianGreenVeloursweatlabels5.jpg

ItalianGreenVeloursweatlabels2.jpg

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
I think this is a satin finish, but it's definitely got a longer nap. Very rusty brown, and with a great pin that looks like an old Roman coin.
DSC00603.jpg
DSC00604.jpg
DSC00606.jpg
DSC00605.jpg
[/IMG]

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Optimo longhair from ebay

fresh from the Bay
6" open crown
2.75" brim
2.25" ribbon
really nice felt
fresh out of the box
BlackOptimoLonghair2.jpg

Side view, taken outside as you can see
BlackOptimoLonghairsideviewoutside1.jpg

Front view
BlackOptimoLonghairOutsidefrontView1.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm wondering two things:

(1.) Where is Lefty finding all these cool emoticons? lol...and

(2.) Have we mentioned a list of current custom hatters who can make a hat with a satin or long hair finish, aside from Optimo?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
(1)
GoogleSmiley.gif
Google images + "smiley" and whatever you want to convey. Add "gif" for animated emoticons.

(2) There's a recent post in the Art/VS thread with a silk finish, and he's mentioned them before, but I haven't seen many. Gary White had a bunch of them in his shop as well. edit: Here's another.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen