Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SATIN FINISH/LONG HAIR CLUB

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
In a 1920 issue of American Hatter, something called the vel-comb is advertised for hats with nap. I'm having trouble linking it here, but if you google search vel-comb american hatter, its the first one that comes up.

Iyor, thank you for the keywords. I found four ads searching for Vel-Comb, but no drawing of this tool.

From the last ad (which you might have trouble reading):

"Robert Swisky, assistant to Mr Davis, has invented and patented a brush for velour hats called the Vel-Comb. It is a comb of wire with a velvet handle, and restores the surface of a worn velour to its original condition."

A wire comb, then. That could mean a lot of constructions, though...
Any ideas?

TheAmericanHatterVol501920_Vel-Comb.jpg

1919_1.png

1919_2.jpg

1919_3.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nik, Super find with the Borsalino "Angora" Idorsca! It looks fantastic! Interesting idea regarding velvet polishing pad. I was thinking of getting one for my Top hats but haven't yet.

Iyor, The VEL-COMB is very interesting. I haven't seen anything like that before. It would be great to find one.

VEL-COMB

http://books.google.com/books?id=mPtYAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA2-PA40&lpg=RA2-PA40&dq=vel-comb+american+hatter&source=bl&ots=wFD-UB9yL8&sig=gpJo8RV56l82o9Zw9SHKnb5unJY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WUtkUMvvE8Xx0gGF0YGYAg&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=vel-comb%20american%20hatter&f=false

Steve, it looks like at least one of us should give the velvet polishing pad a try. :)
I think I'll order one from Lock & Co, who to my my knowledge are the only ones that still sell them:
http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Velvet_Polishing_Pad-details.aspx

A wire comb constructed like the Vel-Comb from the golden age of velours would be nice, too... only we'd have to find out what it looked like in the first place...

I haven't checked to see if they are still made, but there were some great soft brushes made for cleaning the grooves of vinyl records... sold at high end audio shops. The brushes made for baby's hair are quite soft and gentle too.

Fantastic hat, Nik... you're making me wish I had bid on it!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I haven't checked to see if they are still made, but there were some great soft brushes made for cleaning the grooves of vinyl records... sold at high end audio shops. The brushes made for baby's hair are quite soft and gentle too.

Fantastic hat, Nik... you're making me wish I had bid on it!

Thank you, Alan. :)

As for the soft brushes for vinyl records, I own a couple of them and yes, they're still made (I bought mine about 10 years ago). I don't have my camera handy; I'm out of town but for your information and for the other Loungers, I'll post a pic of this thingy once I'm back home on Sunday.

I'm not sure if these brushes will have the desired effect as they are designed to clean the vinyl grooves without putting any pressure on the record, by keeping the hair of the brush very straight, without bending them. I'll give it a try, though. Great idea anyhow!

The baby hair's brushes is an interesting idea as well, and worth a try I believe.

In the long run, I think I'll have to try the velvet polishing pad just the same...

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Would canned air for cleaning computer keyboards not be a possibility? with the nap to clean and then finish with against to stand up the hairs.

Not sure I understand what you mean. What I'm aiming at is getting the nap perfectly aligned in order to bring out still more sheen, comparable to what is done with top hats (although they are a different animal; the finish on toppers is very different).
The hairs on the Borsalino are already clean and raised as if the hat were new.

lecky

New in Town
I just tried an old velvet record cleaning pad, I assume it's a synthetic fibre. It certainly aligns my hat's hair better than a hat brush. I imagine a silk velvet pad, such as are used on toppers could be better still.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info, Lecky. I just placed an order for a velvet polishing pad from Lock & Co.

Will post pics of the results when it arrives on the continent.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Velvet polishing pad on long hair 1950s Borsalino Angora Idorsca - Ruitor

VelvetPad_before_use.jpg

The velvet polishing pad from Lock & Co, as mentioned before in this thread, has arrived, and I'm happy to report that the experiment was very successful.

The velvet does indeed have the anticipated effect of aligning the long hair perfectly. The nap, which was rather fluffy before the treatment with the velvet pad, is now perfectly flush with the surface of the felt - and it appears to stay that way. When you look at the ribbon up close, the nap of the felt is nearly as flush as the ribbon itself. The difference is remarkable; it's visible both from up close and from a distance - the sheen of the felt is more brilliant now.

You can even see the difference in the images quite well, but you'll have to download the full resolution images linked to below in order to view the images properly.

I have named the images accordingly, so if you save them in one folder, you will be able to switch back and forth directly from a pre-velvet to a post-velvet image, respectively.
The pre-velvet images as seen in succession to the post-velvet images will probably give the impression of being slightly out-of-focus while the post-velvet images look sharp. I can assure you that all images are properly focused; what you're seeing is the effect of the velvet pad treatment.
The effect of the velvet pad on the nap is however more noticable in person, both with regard to the nap being flush with the surface and the more silky shine of the hat.

I took the before-pics after I had already worked with the velvet on the left-side brim section. When I saw the effect of velvet, I decided to take these pictures. Apart from that, the before-pics show the felt as it looks when brushed with a horsehair shoe brush only.

Full resolution images of the original photos:

1pre

2post

3pre

4post

5pre

6post

7pre

8post

Close-up with ribbon: note ribbon border (after velvet treatment)

Collage pictures - before velvet treatment (left), and afterwards (right):

pre-post1.jpg

pre-post2.jpg

pre-post3.jpg

pre-post4.jpg

lecky

New in Town
Thanks Rabbit, I'll probably get an offcut of silk velvet to make my own pad - looks very worthwhile (such a beautiful hat too).

Nik, Super! It did give it a more shiny / slick appearance which I like. I will have to pick up one these velvet polishing pads for my Velours and Top hats.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Tossing my two satin finish lids into the ring:

VS satin finish in granite.

Optimo new satin finish in tungsten for comparison.

Art's satin finish has a lovely, subtle and discreet sheen, which I find to be ideal for an everyday hat.

The new Optimo satin finish has more lustre, and in tungsten appears more formal.

Just going through some old threads, great looking hats!

What are the brim sizes? and what are the crown shapes?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Society Club from Frank Katz Hat Co

A 1920's Society Club from the Frank Katz Hat Co. From the American Hatter ads it appears to have been a brand name introduced in 1922. The morning light doesn't capture the deep colors of the felt.

B

society_club_1.jpg

society_club_2.jpg

society_club_2.jpg

society_club_3.jpg

society_club_4.jpg

society_club_5.jpg

society_club_apr_1922.JPG

society_club_katz_1922_1.JPG

society_club_katz_1922_2.JPG

society_club_may_1922.JPG

Forum statistics