Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been spot cleaning this Tom n Jerry for about 5 days now. I overdid one spot with OxiCLean and it originally looked like a seagull dropped a flying white load on the spot; "bleached" out, apparently. I have scrubbed, with cloth, sponge, etc, using water, soap, detergent, white vinegar and naptha and the spot has faded some but is still there. I finally just dunked and soaked the whole hat today in a naptha bath and it looks great overall, but I will have to crease with the spot hidden or try to blend in some color with an appropriately colored permanent marker or some-such method.

Point 2: As I mentioned previously, when I first got this hat I thought it had a nice Knox Custom Edge (aka Cavanagh Edge). But in looking closer I see it is a unique, very crafty underwelt. I've never seen such a brim treatment before and wonder if anyone here has seen it. I don't know exactly how it is done so no thread shows through on the top of the brim, although it reminds me somewhat of the half-blind stitching I've seen on my Cavanagh Homburg where the brim binding is stitched on then folded over the brim and then stitched so the thread is super close, almost invisible, on the top side.... How this translates to an underwelt still confounds me. It's magic until I learn the actual process!

i-DqTX9Jf-L.jpg

i-JDFChvp-L.jpg

i-5rFb2zq-L.jpg

i-RqchW3R-L.jpg

i-7nR2MjT-L.jpg

i-TS373PB-L.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
F861F7AD-738C-4B9D-8A71-B58E4032C236.jpeg
A223B8DB-FE1D-4C0C-90B5-C9BAE561395B.jpeg
I have been spot cleaning this Tom n Jerry for about 5 days now. I overdid one spot with OxiCLean and it originally looked like a seagull dropped a flying white load on the spot; "bleached" out, apparently. I have scrubbed, with cloth, sponge, etc, using water, soap, detergent, white vinegar and naptha and the spot has faded some but is still there. I finally just dunked and soaked the whole hat today in a naptha bath and it looks great overall, but I will have to crease with the spot hidden or try to blend in some color with an appropriately colored permanent marker or some-such method.

Point 2: As I mentioned previously, when I first got this hat I thought it had a nice Knox Custom Edge (aka Cavanagh Edge). But in looking closer I see it is a unique, very crafty underwelt. I've never seen such a brim treatment before and wonder if anyone here has seen it. I don't know exactly how it is done so no thread shows through on the top of the brim, although it reminds me somewhat of the half-blind stitching I've seen on my Cavanagh Homburg where the brim binding is stitched on then folded over the brim and then stitched so the thread is super close, almost invisible, on the top side.... How this translates to an underwelt still confounds me. It's magic until I learn the actual process!

i-DqTX9Jf-L.jpg

i-JDFChvp-L.jpg

i-5rFb2zq-L.jpg

i-RqchW3R-L.jpg

i-7nR2MjT-L.jpg

i-TS373PB-L.jpg
Hey Doug:
About that brim binding...
Thanks for asking the question, it gave me a chance to play with some hats! Ha
I checked a bunch of hats.
I have seen that Cav-type binding before, only once on a Stetson Turf Club. I don’t know if all of them are like that. I have a Flagship that’s similar but the top thread seam is visible.
It is a very delicate underwelt and pretty darn good looking i think.
Bowen

Tukwila

View attachment 134111 View attachment 134112
Hey Doug:
About that brim binding...
Thanks for asking the question, it gave me a chance to play with some hats! Ha
I checked a bunch of hats.
I have seen that Cav-type binding before, only once on a Stetson Turf Club. I don’t know if all of them are like that. I have a Flagship that’s similar but the top thread seam is visible.
It is a very delicate underwelt and pretty darn good looking i think.
Bowen
Very cool, Bowen! Thanks for posting that.

i-DqTX9Jf-L.jpg

i-JDFChvp-L.jpg

i-5rFb2zq-L.jpg

i-RqchW3R-L.jpg

i-7nR2MjT-L.jpg

i-TS373PB-L.jpg
As for the first problem: I hope you succeed in getting that splotch out. I have a few hat with spots that seem to be there to stay. Haven't tried everything you named yet and frankly I'm always a bit apprehensive to let rip as it were. You must have had what Douglas Adams called an 'ely' (defined as: the first, tiniest inkling that something, somewhere has gone terribly wrong). I try to avoid these like the plague.
As for the second point: I have posted a Borsalino Diamante last week that has the same feature, but done in a different way. Haven't got detail pics of it right now, but the underwelt is also stitched to the felt of the brim without going through the topside. Remarkable work. Wonder why nobody is doing that anymore...

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I purchased a Knox 2nd from Hatco. It is labeled an "Edwardo". It has the Levine Hat Co. on sweatband. The fur is nice and soft. The only problem I had was the black ink over suede sweatband would come off so I cleaned it with alcohol to take it all off. It is now a blue suede that is nice and soft. The hat is beautiful midnight blue and i'm not a name dropper so no lettering on sweatband is no problem. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem??

I purchased a Knox 2nd from Hatco. It is labeled an "Edwardo". It has the Levine Hat Co. on sweatband. The fur is nice and soft. The only problem I had was the black ink over suede sweatband would come off so I cleaned it with alcohol to take it all off. It is now a blue suede that is nice and soft. The hat is beautiful midnight blue and i'm not a name dropper so no lettering on sweatband is no problem. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem??

I've seen a few of those Knox hats at the Garland Outlet. I believe Levine has the exclusive license for Knox hats these days. While some of them looked OK, the sweatband was trash on every single one of them.

Post some pics!

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I've seen a few of those Knox hats at the Garland Outlet. I believe Levine has the exclusive license for Knox hats these days. While some of them looked OK, the sweatband was trash on every single one of them.

Post some pics!
Yep. The hat is perfect except the sweatband. Must be NOS 2nd's. Hell I cant complain for the price. Just cleaned all the ink off and good to go.

Tukwila

Yep. The hat is perfect except the sweatband. Must be NOS 2nd's. Hell I cant complain for the price. Just cleaned all the ink off and good to go.
I got a Dobbs Temptation and it was the same thing. Sweet felt, nice pug but the sweat would leave black dye all across my forehead. I had Mike Miller put in a new sweat for me and now it fits like a custom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto