Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Knox Twenty-Five Fuzzy after Hard Knox Life

4314891702_dc278a4da2_b.jpg
4316669648_64fea42928_b.jpg

4316963182_807a393690_b.jpg

4316011351_a7892d4a92_o.jpg

Call in the FBI its a case of extreme Hat Abuse and mutilation. It was downsized by snipping the read and overlapping the taped seam and stitching in place. Fabric for lining hems was stuffed under the sweatband. The Custom Edge was severed from the brim and it was folded over and stuck in place. Got it unglued. It took Denatured Alcohol, so might be shellac. Now just over 2-1/2" RAW edge brim. The brim edge will need a soak in Alcohol. No moth damage though. Dried stiff now, Shellac alright. Looks like binding or bust[huh]

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
Unpinched stingy Knox

Here's an unpinched stingy brim (1 3/4") Hallmark Series Knox I picked up from a local Craigslist add for 15 bucks. Didn't even try to talk them down on the price any. Hope I didn't get burned too bad. Maybe this one will get me in the School of Hard Knox.:) This one has a brim edge like a Cavanagh with no stitching.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Nice stingy S. Beagles. At $15 you certainly didn't get burned at all. I have a similar shaped Churchill with Cav edge which dates from the early 60's. I'd guess yours is a similar vintage.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Nice Tan Knox Premier

Fished out of the bay - went a little higher than I wanted to go but it's a color I've been on the lookout for, plugs a hole in my hat wardrobe:

As the boss looks on:
4331843838_2f441c553f.jpg

4331843872_d5813c2c05.jpg

Brylcream shield is plastic:
4331105497_3cd4b54923.jpg

No flaking or abrasion on the sweatband embossing (embossure? embossery? stamping!):
4331843902_b14cb9c7bf_o.jpg

4331843912_fa5d428d4c.jpg

4331105547_bb504daefb.jpg

4331105569_531f2f4d33.jpg

Just a slight dust shadow on the edge of the crease, otherwise the hat is practically mint.

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
just got this dark charcoal grey knox custom, with cav-edge. the felt is very nice, and holds a crease better than any of my other vintage hats... I was very happy that the 7 3/8 was not too snug to fit, as I really like this one! stingies seem to work better on my noggin' :)

anything here that indicates a date, or model?

thanks!!!
charcoalknox.jpg

charcoalknoxinside1.jpg

charcoalknoxinside2.jpg

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Crossed posted in New Hats thread

Just received this Knox Fifth Avenue Special. It had been worn off center for some time and the pinch and the oval were way off center so I have it cooling/drying on a heated stretcher block.
Will have to redo the crown, probably a diamond ;)
These are the shots from the bay but I will have noggin shots after it's refitting...
Knox5th1-vi.jpg

Knox5th2-vi.jpg

Knox5th3-vi.jpg

Knox5th4-vi.jpg

Knox5th5-vi.jpg

Knox5th6-vi.jpg

Knox5th7-vi.jpg

Knox5th8-vi.jpg

p.s. IT'S GORGEOUS, gonna be really happy when I can wear it without going in circles

Scott Wood

Practically Family
lostinperiphery said:
just got this dark charcoal grey knox custom, with cav-edge. the felt is very nice, and holds a crease better than any of my other vintage hats... I was very happy that the 7 3/8 was not too snug to fit, as I really like this one! stingies seem to work better on my noggin' :)

anything here that indicates a date, or model?

thanks!!!
That is beautiful!!!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
The sweat kind of reminds me of some of the Resistols which I have always found the most comfortable.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
my first vintage!

Just got my first vintage hat today, a Knox Twenty, and man is it beautiful! It makes my wool Stetson feel heavy, clunky, and cheap. I'm still working on the bash, I wanted a diamond bash but it seems happier with a tear drop, so that's that. I've got one trouble part on the front left that I think I'll have to steam tomorrow to get it to lay right.

I noticed the button with the Knox logo on it by the bow is on an elastic band that goes around the hat, is that supposed to be some kind of wind trolley? I don't think I've ever noticed anyone mention an elastic band around their hat before.

knoxtwenty035.jpg

knoxtwenty034.jpg

knoxtwenty033.jpg

knoxtwenty032.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Fedora Jay -- That's a beautiful hat there! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And yes, that's a wind trolley for sure. And it's the first one I've seen with the Knox logo on it. Could you please post a more detailed shot of the button?

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Mario said:
Fedora Jay -- That's a beautiful hat there! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And yes, that's a wind trolley for sure. And it's the first one I've seen with the Knox logo on it. Could you please post a more detailed shot of the button?
That is one nice wind cord. Think I have to learn how to make those, maybe incorporate the lounge logo onto a button? [huh]

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Cool, didn't expect the wind cord to be elastic. I'll have to post a pic later of the button, I'm at my in-law's, and their camera batteries died just as I went to take the pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo