Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The search for a B-3.....

thumbitin

New in Town
First of all as this is my first post a warm ‘Hello,’ to everyone here as this is my first post on the forum. I stumbled across this forum looking for a certain type of jacket and you guys seem to be a wealth of knowledge on all things vintage. Hopefully what I’m asking for isn’t too much of a step away from the original and like classic cars that have been modified to something altogether different and therefore taking away an irreplaceable item in the process, anyway if I’m in the wrong place please feel free to tell me.

What I would like is a b-3 jacket, black with black fur and a hood. Money is not a problem for the right item and I would much prefer if it was properly made. It would be in xl. It seems as this is not how they were originally made and apologies again if I’m asking in the wrong forum.

I’ve had a really good look around, searching posts on here for makers and Google images for ideas etc. Avirex is a brand that comes quite close but the item I found was in Japan and also sold out! Would having something made to order be an option? There doesn’t seem to be a shortage of companies on the internet that would be prepared to put something together, so recommendations would be appreciated.

Here’s an ebay link to the closest thing I can find….but obviously too small and would prefer something new. I’ve read the FAQs and didn’t see anything about posting of links so I hope this is ok.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270859967868?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Welcome. I've seen black/black B3's on eBay.
Some have been nice looking, but I know of no favorite makers discussed here that do it.
Keep searching eBay. Maybe someone here has some info for you. Good luck!

normanf

One of the Regulars
Welcome. I've seen black/black B3's on eBay.
Some have been nice looking, but I know of no favorite makers discussed here that do it.
Keep searching eBay. Maybe someone here has some info for you. Good luck!

Seal brown is almost black. If you apply mink oil on a faded sheepskin jacket, the original dark color can be brought back. My B-3 is made by Sawyer Of Canada for Tilley's Endurables. It has reinforced horsehide sleeve panels where you'd find the most wear. A beautiful jacket!

Edward

Bartender
Nearest I've seen to that in black is the Luftwaffe sheepskin sold by Aero (actually made by someone else in Europe, if memory serves):

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=196

4054c761c21b1f55_luftwaffe%20processed1%20copy.jpg

Not sure what price they are, though - and no hood. To get something like this hooded and in back, you're definitely out of the repro market and into something else.

normanf

One of the Regulars
Nearest I've seen to that in black is the Luftwaffe sheepskin sold by Aero (actually made by someone else in Europe, if memory serves):

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=196

4054c761c21b1f55_luftwaffe%20processed1%20copy.jpg

Not sure what price they are, though - and no hood. To get something like this hooded and in back, you're definitely out of the repro market and into something else.

Aero can make one custom with a hood if requested. I'm sure there's a charge over the standard seal brown color.

Edward

Bartender
Aero can make one custom with a hood if requested. I'm sure there's a charge over the standard seal brown color.

There was a CC Irvin sold on eBay by a Lounge member recently that Aero had done as a special order. Don't know if they would do that with this, though. I suppose they could do a B3 or an Irvin in Black and modify it if they can get access to the sheepskin in black (you'd have to ask), but I can't see them wanting to modify one of these as they come in from somewhere in Germany and are made by someone else (not sure if Aero have them drop shipped or not - they might not pass though Scotland on the way to the customer at all).

Aero had some Reindeer hides in the shop today - I'm sure those were some pricy hides! And beautiful. If you're willing to pay, you can certainly get a black B3. Seal is dark, but not black. My son's is seal, and I suppose if you had the fur black or really dark, it would pass for black. I'll post a pic of it.

CC-1

Familiar Face
Lost Worlds will do a custom order, especially since it's not a whole lot different than their stock B-3.

Cost could be up there but it will be first rate. Try on a stock version first.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. As a purist I would say that a black B-3 style jacket with a hood is really not a B-3 at all! Eastman Leather Clothing make the most accurate repro B-3s in the UK. They will cost much more than mall style sheepskin jackets, but are worth every penny.

thumbitin

New in Town
Thanks guys, some good companies to look at the which I'll do as soon as my boss leaves the office....will try and wait for one with a hood on auction sites is probably the best bet by the look of things. I'll keep you posted about how the search goes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner