Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shulton Old Spice smell

A.Blighty

New in Town
I first heard about Old Spice a few years ago and became interested by the fond descriptions of how it reminded people of their grandpa.

I planned on buying a bottle to sample but was pretty disappointed to discover, after a bit of reading, that Proctor & Gamble had apparently changed the formula when they bought the brand, and that the modern old spice was some inferior species of the original.

Since it seems nigh impossible to get hold of a bottle of the original here in Dear Old Blighty, would anyone who has had experience of the fragrance care to describe it?

Thank'ee :D

Schofields

Familiar Face
from what i know the formula is pretty much identical, its the container that makes the difference.

you can get the old stuff on ebay for a really good price.

cco23i

A-List Customer
I've been using old spice since 1980 and only the bottle has changed. There are other fragrances in the old spice lin though.

Scott

JEEP

Practically Family
The P&G Old Spice is very much diffrent from the Shulton Old Spice.

I have both Original Shulton, Ealy P&G and present P&G Old Spice in my collection. The Shulton and the Early P&G are much alike, but the present P&G is quite diffrent, the scent is stronger and more artificial - and it doesn't linger.

If you want to experience the old Shulton scent try to find a bottle on e-Bay, but beware that many bottles has gone bad over the years - and that many fraudsters fill vintage bottles with the present P&G formula hoping.

If you do not want to try you luck with e-Bay then get you hands on some Indian made Old Spice, it is still manufactured under the Shulton brand and it is very close to the original. The Ivy Club Spice sold at the Family Dollar stores (white plastic bottle with a red label, black cap and an anchor embossed) is a knock off of the original Shulton formula Old Spice - it comes quite close actually, I personally use the Ivy Club Spice with great pleasure.

Regards.

Jakob

Schofields

Familiar Face
oh yeah! now that jakob mentions it: any supermarket/dollar store brand "knock off" of OS comes as close as you can get to the original. its definitely better than whats being made now.

A.Blighty

New in Town
Is it just the one knock-off brand or are there a few of them?

I'm planning a trip to the states towards the end of the year/start of next so I might as well be on the lookout for them since I certainly doubt I'll be able to pick 'em up online.

Schofields

Familiar Face
each supermarket/CVS-type store usually has their own brand of the classic american aftershaves (aqua velva, skin bracer, old spice).

MartyK

New in Town
Funny to see this thread. My late grandfather worked for Shulton in Clifton , NJ for a great number of years. He retired from the company in the 80's. I grew up around the original smell. My grandfather would bring home all types of Old Spice Memorabilia. The mugs, the bottles, the deoderant. It was fantastic. I use the original scent these days. It may be a bit different in formula to the original Shulton version, but it is as close as I'm gonna get to the great smell of my grandfather.

poldiceann

New in Town
Shulton Old Spice

This brings back a lot of memories for me - I used to work as P.A. to the Purchasing Manager of Shulton in the mid-60's- at that time their offices were right opposite Harrods. I still love the smell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart