Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Smiling Man

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic. I'd only have changed the names (Nick Chambers sounds like Nick Charles), put on a touch more hair oil, given the bum a beat-up newsie cap, axed the Citroën from the traffic scene, changed the "noir" awning and a few typefonts...
...hey, I kid, I kid. Everybody's got a nitpick in this game. It's got a great atmosphere - and Hem is right about the lighting! I want to see more.

Astrobeej

New in Town
What have you got against Citroens? ;)

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. The flick is still a work in progress, so nit picking is perfectly appropriate. I'm hoping to be done with principal photography by the end of February, then a short polish cycle in post. I'll be announcing the premiere and DVD availability here!

Beej

Hondo

One Too Many
I thought it would be one of the first to bump this, “The Smiling Man” shot scenes with some of our finest lounge members as extras, I’m credited as “The Air-Man” but I have to admit my fellow extras were dressed better, well done ladies and gents!, still it was fun, we rode the street car from downtown Market street in San Francisco while filming, I hope some of you who came make a post as I don’t feel worthily enough, it was interesting for a first timer, hope to get of photos or stills shortly. Thanks to Bryan Tolin and the rest for making this fun, I wish you and this film much success :)

Hondo

One Too Many
Hey Beej, enjoy your profile, it slipped my mind, here for the lounge is the air-man, un-smiling man, with two great guys, enjoy!

Unsmilingman.jpg

Astrobeej

New in Town
“The Smiling Man” now viewable online for free at new website!

Kelp Entertainment is proud to make their noir detective short “The Smiling Man” available for free viewing on a newly re-designed website.

Set in San Francisco, 1948, “The Smiling Man” tells the story of down-on-his-luck private detective Nick Chambers (Chris Hudak) as he tracks down a missing man with only a single lead to work from - a photograph of his grinning quarry. Without even a name to go on, Nick begins a citywide hunt for this mysterious missing person, but finds more questions than answers. Based on the short story written by Keoni Chavez, originally published in the anthology “Fog City Nocturne”, and directed by B.J. West, The Smiling Man pays loving homage to the classic detective films of the forties, while adding a decidedly post-modern slant.

Since the 35 minute film was released in 2007, it has only been available by purchasing a DVD. Now, all the content found on the disc is viewable online, wrapped in an interface that closely duplicates the functionality of the disc.

Through use of a “color mode” setting, the website interface, the movie and many of the special features are available in both “vintage” (distressed black and white) and “modern” (full color) versions.

“The Smiling Man” can now be found at its new home at the Kelp Entertainment website.

http://www.KelpEntertainment.com/SmilingMan

Any and all comments and feedback enthusiastically welcomed!

Enjoy!
Beej

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart