Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The snap brim homburg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
thunderw21 said:
I like how the snapped down brim is extreme.
1940sCavanaghlordshat001.jpg
Don't think that's meant to be snapped down, either. Not flanged that way.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It wouldn't snap if I wanted it to. It's a straight brim with a shackle curl. When worn, the sides curl-up just a bit, like in the ad.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Don't think that's meant to be snapped down, either. Not flanged that way.

I thought Lord's Hats were meant to be worn either way. How does one tell if an unbound edge is meant to be snapped or not?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
My first response was this would apply to any homburg and the magazine was just commenting on an odd college trend. But then I tried to snap the brim down on my homburg, from the forties. Didn't work at all. It would do it but it was such a sharp snap that it looked ridiculous. My conclusion is that the snap brim fedora was a variation where they would leave alittle more room in the front and mainly the sides, to allow it to snap without looking too strained, but still ahve the curl on eh back of the sides and back.

Interesting thread.

Those crazy kids and all.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
6 1/2" crown... GADZOOKS!!

I have an early '30s (I think) Mallory with a brim flanged like that, and a whopping 6-1/2 inch crown with a super-deep crease, and shallow side dents. It's a 7-3/8, but with some period repairwork to the unreeded sweat, it now fits a 7-1/4. A real oddball hat, especially with the purple liner. Only one I've run across with this kind of brim treatment.

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5000.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou