Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The snap brim homburg

Topper

Vendor
Feraud said:
I Note the description used on this hat.
DSC01876.jpg

This is not a "Snapped Brimmed Homburg". The Crown is incorrectly formed.

You can "snap" the brim of a homburg, though the crown would be the same.

Also note the Text it is not in capitals or quotes - as per othe hat descriptions, hence the book is not referrring to it merely a comparison ( and a wrong one at that)

Pip-pip

Doug

Topper

Vendor
The classic homburg is only blocked with a single crease on the top of the crown. This picture has side indentations, more like a trilby or fedora.

I thought that's what you meant.

There was a distinct vogue in the US in the 30s and 40s to dress down the Homburg by introducing the pinch front (and clearly the snap-brim, if this image is to be believed). At least you would get this impression from photographs and drawings from Apparel Arts. I believe there was also such a trend this side of the pond. Especially in the lighter coloured Homburgs.

If we could have he hat in question in our hands, i'd be willing to bet it would have the stiffened felt of the typical Homburg.

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Topper said:
This is not a "Snapped Brimmed Homburg". The Crown is incorrectly formed.

You can "snap" the brim of a homburg, though the crown would be the same.

Also note the Text it is not in capitals or quotes - as per othe hat descriptions, hence the book is not referrring to it merely a comparison ( and a wrong one at that)

Pip-pip

Doug
Technically the text is calling it The University Touch (in capitals) described as.."the snapped brim homburg."
I am not making this up, you can see the text for yourself.

Topper

Vendor
There's nothing wrong with palying with shapes - I do it myself with my Trilbowler!

But the "crown" shape denominates the type of the hat, if you change the crown shape and re-block it into another style of hat , then the hat IS that new type.

Brims on the other hand can be styled in many ways with the same "crown" hence why I would not describe it as a homburg , as they have reconformed the crown into a trilby/fedora shape.

So it is a fedora with a pencil brim styles like a homburg, and then snapped.

Image this: If I take a bowler then reblock the crown into a flat topped cylinder shape - then it becomes a top hat! it's not a bowler anymore.... q.e.d.

I always take "fashion" magazines with a pinch of salt. Just because someting is written in a glossy (let alone the Internet- Gawd help me with the ledgends of who created the first silk hat!) does not give it truth.

Pip-Pip

Topper

Vendor
Feraud said:
Technically the text is calling it The University Touch (in capitals) described as.."the snapped brim homburg."
I am not making this up, you can see the text for yourself.

Agree, the text is a bit misleading hence why question the book's accurate.

Though at the same time, i don't disbelieve that it was a proper hat, and soem people may have called it a homburg, though from a purest view I would not call it that - Unless only had one straight crease.

Can you post pictures on the 6 Toppers/bowlers/homburgs on the left page ?

Be interesting to see what they describes tham as.

Topper

Vendor
akaBruno said:
Isn't the Homburg defined by that rolled bound edge?

Yes, but the primary identification is the is the crown. The classic Homburg is a combination of both the single straight crease and the curled brim all around.

Edward

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
What about a felt top hat, gret or black?

Do you mean the wool felt type with the dull finish as opposed to the shine of the silk one? My understanding from this site (actually, a thread where Topper explained it, so he can clarify for me if I've gotten it wrong) is that those are a later, cheaper alternative? I'd like a nice grey one myself to go with morning wear (a project for the middle term will be a nice morning wear outfit for me)... my black one is a lovely hat, but I do love the colour of a mid grey topper with a dove grey morning coat.

It does appear I cheat a bit when it comes to the wearing of top hats - I like the 'solid' one for wearing with white tie, and the opera hat (mine is a shiny black silk) for any occasion where I want to wear white tie while travelling - it goes into a suitcase so much easier!

Topper

Vendor
Edward said:
It does appear I cheat a bit when it comes to the wearing of top hats - I like the 'solid' one for wearing with white tie, and the opera hat (mine is a shiny black silk) for any occasion where I want to wear white tie while travelling - it goes into a suitcase so much easier!

Not cheating at all old chap - perfectly acceptable. The opera hat was made for the purpose of small storage space at the opera - though profided worn with white tie ( cant be work with anything else, and as white tie is an evening event) then using it when travelling is a perfect reason.

Topper

Vendor
Felt top hats are following forms

wool felt = (typically used for hire/rental hats) - mottled look, black grey most common, also available is blue

fur felt = a fine fur felt - typically in grey ( used for Royal Ascot, though many decades ago that actually has Grey Silk Plush Top hats for Ascot!)

polished fur felt / melusine = Black only - Melusine is a polished fur that gives a shiny appearance of a polished silk plush, though still I real prefer silk, and can spot a melusine easily. The weight is often heaver that the others as very rigid and solid build.

Feraud

Bartender
A bump with more info. to support the snapped brim homburg.

Here is a picture from a Montgomery Ward Fall/Winter '35-36 catalog.
The university trend goes mainstream.
DSC06217.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I sold a hat about two months ago that looks very similar to the snap brim homburg in the ward's catalog. Not like the first one, that
looks like a soft homburg with the brim snapped down a bit, but more like the second one, which doesn't seem to have quite the same tightness to the curl, but more tight than a fedora flangeing.
Tight homburg curl to the back, a little more relaxed up front. Consistent width binding all around. Didn't look quite right brim up or brim down. It was fur felt, but pretty poor quality. The trimmings were also a bit iffy- a definite fashion item, not really made to last. The "university club" name goes with this style being a college fad.
IMG_8957.jpg

0a08_3.jpg

0c1e_3.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:

Edumucate me if I'm wrong, but aren't these homburgs without edge bindings called "lord's hats"? I have one but have never tried to snap the brim down.

Hmmm.... *runs off to find hat*

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
:arated: on the Lord's hat.

I think Dinerman has posted the only true example of the university style shown in the catalog, which I thought would be ugly from the ad...
and which turned out to be worse. Trying to casualize the homburg is like trying to dress up a tshirt.
Tuxedo%20tshirt.jpg

I guess there is a reason you don't see that style much today. I have seen it before AND SOME WHAT RECENTLY but I can't say where. Maybe in film? It seems like a very sporty look in a more modern sense almost like some type of gambler or dandy. A modern Stacy Adams brand hat, maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou