Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sophisticate, Spring 2008 issue

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
is available from the Art Deco Society of California!

It's our "All Spanish Colonial Revival" issue, with articles on:

Spanish Colonial Revival Architecture of the 20s and 30s
"The Spanish Tinge" - Musical Exoticism
Spanish California 20s-30s movie roundup
"La Peineta" - The Spanish Comb (by yours truly)
Special Fashion layout, The Lady In Red (vintage and vintage style reporductions)
Plus book reviews, preservation news, and a museum review of the SFMOMA Frida Kahlo show.

You can get yours from:

http://www.artdecosociety.org

And back issues here:

http://www.artdecosociety.org/sophisticate/sophisticate.htm

0000-5608-4~La-Mora-Spanish-Flamenco-Dancer-Posters.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Oh, that's just the final straw...I need to join up!

Particularly looking forward to the Spanish Combs article, Miss 1929. I've never bought one as I wear my hear bobbed, but there are so many lovely examples I've seen I've wanted to pick one up just for the collection.

Miss 1929

You can add fake hair!

Mojito said:
Oh, that's just the final straw...I need to join up!

Particularly looking forward to the Spanish Combs article, Miss 1929. I've never bought one as I wear my hear bobbed, but there are so many lovely examples I've seen I've wanted to pick one up just for the collection.

Put a bit of your bob in a little ponytail, and then you can anchor a big braid of fake hair to it, wind it up and stick a comb in it!

Works for me, my hair is only about to my shoulders... here's how it turns out...
l_518a05b8b45075e52cc2c6282e4e88e6.jpg

That's last week, favorite big black comb.

Mojito

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Put a bit of your bob in a little ponytail, and then you can anchor a big braid of fake hair to it, wind it up and stick a comb in it!

Works for me, my hair is only about to my shoulders... here's how it turns out...
l_518a05b8b45075e52cc2c6282e4e88e6.jpg

That's last week, favorite big black comb.
D'oh! Would you believe this never even occured to me? And it's *so* 1920s, too, when many women kept "switches" of their hair when they had it bobbed, so they could reattach it when necessary for a longer look.

Your own example above is gorgeous - and I'd love to see the rest of the dress, too.

Foofoogal

Banned
I find your thread interesting as Gary Crumrine had just posted one on the Flamenco. Do I see a resurgence of this Art Deco symbolism?
I sold the most marvelous Spanish dance Art Deco vanity tray once. As a collector first I love the different influences of the 1920s.
Flamenco dancers, Bluebirds, Pierrot and Pierrette, such great designs usage.

Foofoogal

Banned
I find your thread interesting as Gary Crumrine had just posted one on the Flamenco. Do I see a resurgence of this Art Deco symbolism?
I sold the most marvelous Spanish dance Art Deco vanity tray once. As a collector first I love the different influences of the 1920s.
Flamenco dancers, Bluebirds, Pierrot and Pierrette, such great designs usage.

Your hair looks great also.

Miss 1929

The Amazing Stephan!

Foofoogal said:
Congratulations. How exciting.

I about fell off my chair when I found this link on that site. Wow!

http://www.artdecosociety.org/stephan/gallery_01/stephan_gallery01.htm

Now that is just fabulous. I am so jealous.

I have one original Stephan, my Appreciation Award from the ADSC - with sort of a portrait of me on it! It is a treasure. I would love him to do an album cover for me too!

His work is even more beautiful in person, he layers it with built up paint do it has a 3-D quality in places. Gorgeous.

Mojito said:
Your own example above is gorgeous - and I'd love to see the rest of the dress, too.

It's MODERN! You can see more of it in Ladies of the Lounge - but it doesn't show the double bias ruffle at the hem! Love this dress.

I must admit to a bit of plastic surgery via Photoshop in this pic, though...

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
I must admit to a bit of plastic surgery via Photoshop in this pic, though...

Isn't photoshop wonderful?! lol

I've been meaning to join the ADSC, will I get that issue if I join this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy