Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Standard Knitting Company - Cleveland, Ohio

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Standard Knitting Company of Cleveland, Ohio was founded in 1900. Their factory was located at 2202-2210 Superior Ave, Cleveland Ohio. They had sales offices at 440 4th Ave, New York, NY, at 616 Medinah Bldg., 178 W. Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL, and at 529 Boston Block, Minneapolis, MN. The company was best known for their Schmidt-knit line, and was a pioneer of off-season advertising, taking out print ads for their sweaters in the summer. It would seem the majority of their trade was done in ladies sweaters, for which the company used silk knits. The company unionized in 1968, and closed in 1971, with the Cleveland Knitting Mills absorbing most of its workers.

The Standard Knitting Mill, photo 1965, Walker & Murray Associates, Inc., Special Collections, Cleveland State University Library

Last edited:

Erin

New in Town
Thank you for posting this! My great great grandfather, Otto Schmidt and his brother founded this company after they came to America from Apolda, Germany. I never met them and the company dissolved long before I was born but it’s fun to see the history!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL