Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of the Art in Japanese Outerwear: Freewheelers and Co 2012-13 Collection!

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've followed the links that Ishmael posted, and I like this one.

49686881.jpg

Damn you Ishmael! Stop posting nice leather jackets! :D

Looking at their leather designs on display..I must say..I am so glad that I got this 'Stuart' from Aero before they discontinued it. Sorta different..maybe a retro vibe..and since new has broken in nicely.
IMG_0736.jpg

...and..really..I still can't get over the 'Himel'...although I need it like I need a hole in the head....
11111111.jpg

HD

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
That Stuart looks very cool HD. Too bad they've discontinued it, although that makes it all the more precious! Makes me want to run out and grab the FW Brakeman Coat, or their new Dust Bowl.

I really love civilian A-1s too! Himel's Heron is great, but I think that's the Levi's Menlo in the photo above, no?

Ishmael

Practically Family
Me too! As you said, for many reasons. A couple more are the more aesthetically pleasing big front pockets and the really nice club shape of the collar. Also, Himel Bros. have a ton of amazing choices for lining fabrics.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Boy are Japanese freinds sure have funny ideas of "style". One of the most modern countries in the world and Tokyo can easily lay claim to the most modern city... and their idea of style is to dress up like refugees from the Alaska Gold Rush... Well different horses for different courses as my ole man used to mutter (usually after he'd lost), it takes ALL kinds.

Worf

Ishmael

Practically Family
Pic was taken at Nigel Cabourn's garden, so guessing they had just stepped outside for a bit, hence the sandals.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Looking at their leather designs on display..I must say..I am so glad that I got this 'Stuart' from Aero before they discontinued it. Sorta different..maybe a retro vibe..and since new has broken in nicely.
IMG_0736.jpg

HD
I didn't like this originally seeing it on the Aero site but seeing it here the jackets looks a whole lot different, though I would need a bigger size haha.
Someone wanting one maybe could get one when Will Lauder starts up his new company.........sometime in the future.

Boy are Japanese freinds sure have funny ideas of "style". One of the most modern countries in the world and Tokyo can easily lay claim to the most modern city... and their idea of style is to dress up like refugees from the Alaska Gold Rush... Well different horses for different courses as my ole man used to mutter (usually after he'd lost), it takes ALL kinds.
Worf

I had similar thoughts.
In the 1980s every young Japanese HAD to have an original A2. I remember a feature film(Japanese) where a young gang member had a mall jacket copy A2 and his friends took the mickey out of it because he could not afford the real thing. Then a few years later they attached themselves to British motorcycle culture, especially the cafe racer look(Pronounced KAFF and not Café as in Hooray), an industry they took out of the dark ages and virtually disappeared, having even an oriental version of the 59 Club.
I looked at the Freewheelers site and thought there were some great designs, but would they go with what I wear today? Plain and simple NO!
Jay Tee

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Boy are Japanese freinds sure have funny ideas of "style". One of the most modern countries in the world and Tokyo can easily lay claim to the most modern city... and their idea of style is to dress up like refugees from the Alaska Gold Rush...

fans of vintage workwear / rugged / outdoor clothes come from many different countries. some of them even live in NYC. :rolleyes:

Ishmael

Practically Family
This picture was taken by Dorothea Lange in 1942 in San Francisco, not long before internment.

SF2_zps4b7c871f.jpg

Along with their fellow hipsters, those young Japanese Nisei lived in "modernity", a time when the notion of a cutting edge made sense. Call the present the post-modern, or what you will. Thing is, I'm not sure what, if anything, "modern" really means today. Tokyoites in Gold Rush garb seems less an anomaly than a sign of the times. A search for the timeless in an era of turnover and flux.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Beat me to it, BK.

Yeah, what is style anyway? Is it only old clothes or new ones that look old?

This one could run and run.

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou