Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetsonian Institution

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That is one of the nicest looking Stetsons I have laid eyes on -- the edge binding/felt/ribbon combo is just phenomenal. I don't recall ever seeing that exact combination before on any vintage Stetson. Gorgeous! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I just wish it was my size, I love it. It's an absoutely incredible looking Stetsonian. Thanks for the compliment Jimmy.

That is one of the nicest looking Stetsons I have laid eyes on -- the edge binding/felt/ribbon combo is just phenomenal. I don't recall ever seeing that exact combination before on any vintage Stetson. Gorgeous! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

40Cal

One Too Many
I've got two !940's Stetsonians. The green one is in great shape.... the brown.... not so much. It's a Vita Felt though! The sweatband makes me sad.
stetsonians.jpg
stetsonian2.jpg
stetsonian1.jpg

Thanks Fruno (Jim) for mentioning this thread. I had no idea it existed. The Stetsonian is one of my favorite hats. Colors are great and the style is perfection! IMHO

stephena310

One of the Regulars
Per your request, here is my Stetson Stetsonian......If you can give me any information regarding "dating" it, I would greatly appreciate it !

Stetson “Stetsonian” 5 X - IIII style stitch on sweat band – Byrnie Utz – 310 Union Street, Seattle – Rim is edged with ribbon matching hat - paper size tag – 7 ¼ & 58 cent. With Union stamp on back.

Type: Fedora

Mfg: John B. Stetson

Model: Stetsonian – Slade of 3008

Serial #:

Material: 5 x

Color: Tawny

Size: 7 1/4

Length of Crown: 8 ¼ inches

Width of Crown 6 ½ inches

Height of Crown: 5 inches

Brim: 2 ¾ inches

Type of band: ribbon

Width of band: 2 inches

Attachments

• IMG_3337.jpg
    IMG_3337.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3343.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 258

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Per your request, here is my Stetson Stetsonian......If you can give me any information regarding "dating" it, I would greatly appreciate it !

Stetson “Stetsonian” 5 X - IIII style stitch on sweat band – Byrnie Utz – 310 Union Street, Seattle – Rim is edged with ribbon matching hat - paper size tag – 7 ¼ & 58 cent. With Union stamp on back.

Type: Fedora

Mfg: John B. Stetson

Model: Stetsonian – Slade of 3008

Serial #:

Material: 5 x

Color: Tawny

Size: 7 1/4

Length of Crown: 8 ¼ inches

Width of Crown 6 ½ inches

Height of Crown: 5 inches

Brim: 2 ¾ inches

Type of band: ribbon

Width of band: 2 inches

my guess is 60s or later

stephena310

One of the Regulars
my guess is 60s or later

Thanks.....I figured later, but was hoping for early rather than later 60's but what can you do....I get more compliments on this hat....wherever I go, someone always throws a compliment about the hat ! I figure the more I wear them, the more I increase the awareness and the acceptability of them being worn all the time, by more people!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks.....I figured later, but was hoping for early rather than later 60's but what can you do....I get more compliments on this hat....wherever I go, someone always throws a compliment about the hat ! I figure the more I wear them, the more I increase the awareness and the acceptability of them being worn all the time, by more people!
If I remember correctly, Stetson added the metric size to the square size-tag in late 80s or early 90s. Whatever the vintage - it's a great hat :)

Personally I don't long for more hat wearers. Prices would grow even higher, which nobody needs - and being young in the 70s filled up my life-quota for uniformed "mass-looks". I feel fine, not looking like everyone else :)

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Stetson added the metric size to the square size-tag in late 80s or early 90s. Whatever the vintage - it's a great hat :)

Personally I don't long for more hat wearers. Prices would grow even higher, which nobody needs - and being young in the 70s filled up my life-quota for uniformed "mass-looks". I feel fine, not looking like everyone else :)

I looks "nicer" than 80s or 90s Stetsons, though. Could it be a Canadian made Stetson (possibly Biltmore)? Were they using metric sizes earlier?

Just throwing it out there...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I looks "nicer" than 80s or 90s Stetsons, though. Could it be a Canadian made Stetson (possibly Biltmore)? Were they using metric sizes earlier?

Just throwing it out there...
I see what you mean, but I believe it's just the removal of the stamped crease, that makes it look like that. The sweatband and it's stampings plus the execution of the brim binding is so 80/90s in my eyes, though. That looks like the usual post-Philly-Stetson work to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana