Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetsonian Institution

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This Royal DeLuxe Stetsonian arrived today. It is in absolutely pristine condition. The felt is a rich shade of chocolate brown, with a matching edge binding -- complemented by a dark brown ribbon. The lid is 5 1/2" open crown, and the brim is 2 1/2" wide. The oil silk liner protector is still intact.

From a style standpoint, this lid is indistinguishable from a Whippet. Since, by definition, a Whippet was an entry-level Royal Stetson, I wonder whether the Stetsonian was essentially offered as an upgrade to the Whippet. [huh]

While the edge binding is 3/8" (like that on the Whippet), it is narrower on the underside of the brim, with a row of stitching (see photo below). The tag indicates a price of $12.50. I would guesstimate this lid to date to c. 1950 or thereabouts.

As I went to crease this lid, it whispered to me that it didn't want to be a teardrop. I followed where it led -- and wound up with a "diamond and cross" (at least, that's what I call this crease). It really feels right on this one.

The Stetsonian went through some changes over the years, and I know there are at least two or three here on the Lounge (Harp Player Gene has a beauty). Hopefully, this thread can be a repository for any Stetsonians out there, along with related info. :)

Here's the lid:

OpenCrown-24.jpg

Liner2-1.jpg

Liner-23.jpg

Binding.jpg

Stetsonian1.jpg

Stetsonian2.jpg

Stetsonian3.jpg

Stetsonian4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to Lefty for previously compiling these Stetsonian ads from over the years.

stetson1923.jpg

stetson1946.jpg

StetsonStetsonian1947.jpg

1948 (Stetsonian and Casual)
stetson1948-2.jpg

stetson15.jpg

StetsonStetsonian1949.jpg

stetson28.jpg

1951 -- Gotta love the color "Peacock"! Note that, on this one, the edge binding is wider on the underside of the brim, with a narrower binding and row of stitching on top -- the exact opposite of the scheme on my lid...
51Stetsonian-Peacock.jpg

1961 :eek:
StetsonStetsonian1961.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

buler

I'll Lock Up
Sweet lid!

Not a teardrop?! What have you done with Jimmy?

Actually, looks great JTL. Hopefully more will come out of the closets.

B

CRH

Call Me a Cab
:eek:

What's this? The Maestro makes a lumpy crease? - and a damn nice one too :eusa_clap! What a beauty, that Stetsonian, and thanks for the history lesson, JTL.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'll post pics of mine when Photobucket is behaving better.

jimmy the lid said:
From a style standpoint, this lid is indistinguishable from a Whippet.

I dunno buddy; when I compare my Stets' to my Whippets the Stetsonian is bigger in every way. Binding is wider, crown is taller and brim is bigger. That's why I've never thought of mine as an ideal wearer for me. Because of its scale and my skinniness it kind of wears me, y'know?

EDIT/ADDT'N: Y'know, my Stetsonian is much more of a match in its proportions to my Knox Tom & Jerry than anything else in my collection.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Stunning specimen of a hat. I always love to see such pristine lids like that. It's like getting a brand new custom to be proud of.
Yes, the hat will always let you know what it wants to look like & it can't be persuaded otherwise. Good job! :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gene-Jimmy, those are beautiful specimens! They look like they are in immaculate condition and are real classics. Jimmy, that is a great crease on yours; you are the Chief for sure!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Out of all the creases you do [and I have seen a few of them in person] that DC [diamond/cross] is the best ....bar none!!!! :eusa_clap

Wow -- thanks, Rusty! :) Thanks for the many nice comments, gents -- as always, much appreciated!

DanielJones said:
Wow! Stunning specimen of a hat. I always love to see such pristine lids like that. It's like getting a brand new custom to be proud of.

Thanks, Dan. I completely agree with you -- if you are able to find a vintage lid in this kind of condition, it really is like getting a brand new hat. As I've said before, it's like getting in a time machine, walking into a hat store, and magically emerging with a "new" vintage lid! :) Oh, and good to see you posting again! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Gene -- that Stetsonian is just gorgeous. What a fantastic lid!

I've got more to say, but gotta run. More later...;)

Cheers,
JtL

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
From the US patent office

The Stetsonian

First used in commerce April 1917

Filling date July 24, 1923

Regestered March 18 1924

Serial # 71183637

Reg#0181329

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
As I went to crease this lid, it whispered to me that it didn't want to be a teardrop.

Stetsonian4.jpg

I think I figured out who did the whispering. I think you got a ventriloquist dog! TLH

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another Brown Royal Deluxe

The felt on this hat is everything I'd want from a dress felt.
Crisp, but not stiff, thin and dense. Nice rich brown.
Somehow I still haven't warmed to this hat. I think the
problem is the way the crown is formed. I should reform
it to make it appear a bit taller. Note that the brim binding
is the reverse of JtL's (and presumably HPG's).

3584028407_02677f1988_b.jpg

Excellent condition.

3584029587_741d5e03b8.jpg

3584839750_abee793944.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21