Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Randall Renshaw Restorations

It’s getting close and the anticipation is building. Randall has sent me several color options and I’m showing a few. I’m leaving most of the details to him. It’s been a while since I have been this excited over a new custom hat.

IMG_0285.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0282.jpeg
IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0280.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
The actual color in person is a much lighter color than the Sunrise photo. I’d say it’s very close to bone.

But yes, the color of the felt from my phone camera is way off, too.

It’s very aggravating trying to get lighting that shows a decent representation of felt colors and ribbon colors, but don’t know what to do about it.

Tips, anyone?

The actual color in person is a much lighter color than the Sunrise photo. I’d say it’s very close to bone.

But yes, the color of the felt from my phone camera is way off, too.

It’s very aggravating trying to get lighting that shows a decent representation of felt colors and ribbon colors, but don’t know what to do about it.

Tips, anyone?

Photography is a mystery to me. I struggle with this all the time when listing hats on eBay. I want the buyer to get the color they are expecting, but even photos at the same spot seconds apart can look vastly different. I’m sure those who know photography can compensate or make changes, but I’m a point and shoot guy.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Here’s a photo that best represents the Playa color from Sunrise. The ribbon is also pretty close. An indoor photo taken with every light on I have in the area. Even my bright reading/working goose neck LED light was pointed at it. :)
36DAFA47-5C36-4770-91D5-121B01282ACD.jpeg

Attachments

• 5C372770-5775-4BA2-9172-7FD178059EA7.jpeg
    5C372770-5775-4BA2-9172-7FD178059EA7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Photography is a mystery to me. I struggle with this all the time when listing hats on eBay. I want the buyer to get the color they are expecting, but even photos at the same spot seconds apart can look vastly different. I’m sure those who know photography can compensate or make changes, but I’m a point and shoot guy.
A fellow hatter here in Vancouver is also a professional photographer with a studio. He says the best lighting to take hat pics is outdoors, natural lighting under slightly grey skies. Lighting or sunlight distorts the colours and the greyness gives the most accurate colours.

A fellow hatter here in Vancouver is also a professional photographer with a studio. He says the best lighting to take hat pics is outdoors, natural lighting under slightly grey skies. Lighting or sunlight distorts the colours and the greyness gives the most accurate colours.

That’s odd. I have a disclaimer in my eBay sales that says if the sky in the background is cloudy the colors won’t be accurate. The colors rarely photograph accurately on overcast days for me. Evening when the sun is behind the hills, but not yet at the horizon has been the best for me. Golden hour. It just doesn’t always work that I can be there at that time.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
It was an overcast day when I took those first photos where Randy guessed this Playa felt might’ve been a light blue felt.
But like you’ve said before, even in the same light the colors can change drastically by moving the phone camera to a slightly different angle or a difference in seconds between pics.
Until someone can offer FOOL proof tricks, think I’ll be taking my pics inside with ALL my lights on.
;-)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Less UV on cloudy days, so you have better color saturation, but also less light so you sometimes have to tweak the exposure and/or white balance. It is difficult to manually control these photo settings on a phone and most phones I've seen default toward cool light which gives the blue tint. I love my DSLRs but handling the files is a lot less convenient than the quick snaps we post here. I threaten to dig out my 18% grey reflector or buy some cheap 18% grey paper to use as a backdrop...one of these days.

That’s odd. I have a disclaimer in my eBay sales that says if the sky in the background is cloudy the colors won’t be accurate. The colors rarely photograph accurately on overcast days for me. Evening when the sun is behind the hills, but not yet at the horizon has been the best for me. Golden hour. It just doesn’t always work that I can be there at that time.

It was an overcast day when I took those first photos where Randy guessed this Playa felt might’ve been a light blue felt.
But like you’ve said before, even in the same light the colors can change drastically by moving the phone camera to a slightly different angle or a difference in seconds between pics.
Until someone can offer FOOL proof tricks, think I’ll be taking my pics inside with ALL my lights on.
;-)

Last edited:
Less UV on cloudy days, so you have better color saturation, but also less light so you sometimes have to tweak the aperture and/or white balance. It is difficult to manually control these photo settings on a phone and most phones I've seen default toward cool light which gives the blue tint. I love my DSLRs but handling the files is a lot less convenient than the quick snaps we post here. I threaten to dig out my 18% grey reflector or buy some cheap 18% grey paper to use as a backdrop...one of these days.
It's what I do when I take pics of my hats; use a grey card and balance the colour off that. It takes some time and you still cannot always capture the colours of a felt, but it gets you pretty close.

One of my vintage ribbon suppliers gave me a bunch of ribbon for free. She said it was impossible to shoot pics that accurately showed the colour and she was tired of fielding complaints from buyers about it NOT being the colour they thought it was. So I am of the belief that it may be possible to shoot better pics but it is impossible to shoot great, accurate photos most of the time. If the client is not sure my default position is to mail him a cutting of the felt and the ribbon. A bit of a pain but the only sure fire solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner