Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE STEVENS SPOTLIGHT

Viktor

One of the Regulars
Stevens Deluxe

Stevens.jpg

CDoBbCWkKGrHqFiME0Hdo6VZBNPMKUHyfw0_12.jpg

0011.jpg

0021.jpg

0031.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Either that or a Strat.

Right. Maybe some other make in the same vein. What I'm trying to get someone to comment on is, is it a Stetson 100 or 50 or 25, or some other variety of all-beaver fur hat? It looks pretty classy, and you would think the hatters would make sure the Prez got the top of the line. Actually Harry Truman himself was a haberdasher in Missouri, so no doubt he had a clear idea of the clear beaver hat that he wanted.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Right. Maybe some other make in the same vein. What I'm trying to get someone to comment on is, is it a Stetson 100 or 50 or 25, or some other variety of all-beaver fur hat? It looks pretty classy, and you would think the hatters would make sure the Prez got the top of the line. Actually Harry Truman himself was a haberdasher in Missouri, so no doubt he had a clear idea of the clear beaver hat that he wanted.

I'm sure that HST had quite a number of hats. That being said, I have seen a photo of him accepting a Shady Oak lid from Amon Carter (which would have been at least a 7X CB), and here is a photo of him with a 7X CB made for him by Stetson:

trumanhat5.gif

trumanhat2.jpg

trumanhat3.jpg

trumanhat1.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure that HST had quite a number of hats. That being said, I have seen a photo of him accepting a Shady Oak lid from Amon Carter (which would have been at least a 7X CB), and here is a photo of him with a 7X CB made for him by Stetson:

trumanhat1.jpg

Wow! The Shady Oak. And a 7x Stetson Clear Beaver. Two other holy grails. I haven't even received my Stetson 25 yet, and here I'm looking at another similar hat. I heard from Monabla of the Shady Oak, and now there's a picture of the 7X. However, I think Shady Oaks are around 800 dollars or something like that, so that idea will go on the shelf for some indefinite period of time. Harry no doubt knew hats though, so I'm sure he got the best.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Well here's my submission for The Stevens Spotlight!

It's also my very first fedora, originally belonging to my Grandfather. I inherited this in around 1976...maybe 77? It still has pieces of a Christmas ceremony with the words from silent night from our church.
PS5.jpg

PS1.jpg

PS2.jpg

PS4.jpg

PS3.jpg

You know I always kind of wished the bow was on the correct side. But regardless, I would wear the darn thing just because it was Grandpa's. Since then I had Graham at Optimo bring it back to life, so now it's a keepsake. I'm thinking late 50's or 60's???

Last edited:

Alex

Practically Family
EXCELLENT, Alex!!! Thats a great looking Stevens for sure. And the sweatband looks to be in great shape as well. Congrats on your find!!
Thanks a lot Josh! I was so surprised to come across it, being it such good shape.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My first experience with a Stevens, and it's very positive so far:
stevenshat001copy.jpg

stevenshat002copy.jpg

stevenshat004copy.jpg

I've never seen a black-rainbowed heather like this. I think it's really catchy. I'm fond of the bow and edge binding as well. Would this ribbon count as a Petersham? It seems to have the right texture, but the edges are finished, not the typical Petersham unfinished/scallopped edge. I think it technically would classify as a pork pie as well, though I've arranged it in a loose center dent.

Thanks for directing me to this thread, Josh!

002copyw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy