Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Is there anyone here looking to part with one of these beautiful works of art? I've been wanting a strat for quite a while now, but am having a hard time finding the right one that suits me. I'm looking for a size 7 1/4 in either silverbelly or grey. I'd prefer one with an original pin, but it's no big deal if it's missing.

These hats are turning up on Ebay in record quantities lately and 7 1/4 is a pretty common size. They are actually selling much cheaper than the vintage whippet (which is the last of my bucket hats that I still need to acquire). You probably won't find one with the original pin though but they are easy to find. I bought a couple originals on Ebay (one from a member here) for twenty or twentyfive dollars.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My wife is an art student... I've commissioned her to do a "young" Howard Hughes with a 6-7/8 noggin so that I've a place to display my NOS sage green Stratoliner purchased from the Johnny Phi stash. Here's the photo:

howard-hughes-seated-in-the-cockpit-twa-everett.jpg

But Howard about 10 years YOUNGER (circa 1939-40). (This photo is him at the controls of a Connie.)

Last edited:
Early Vita-Felt Stratoliner

An early Stratoliner example - 1940-42. It has the gold printed size label and transitional three section manufacturing label which was replaced by the single section tag somewhere around 1940. It also has a sweatband lot number imprint - unfortunately the third digit is hard to decipher, but I believe it is 7607.

2 1/2" brim, 5" crown.

vitastrat1.jpg

vitastrat2.jpg

vitastrat3.jpg

vitastrat4.jpg

vitastrat5.jpg

vitastrat6.jpg

vitastrat7.jpg

vitastrat8.jpg

for comparison, here is the label from my other 1940s Stratoliner:

oldstrat5.jpg

sweatband lot number:

vitastrat9.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
True, Mystic.

Seriously, I can see an online museum of hats taking form from the many excellent pages of the Fedora Lounge, with contributions from all of our photographically gifted members. Perhaps the distillation of images is unnecessary, but my traditional sensibilities await such an endeavor. It could be thought of as a digital "coffee table book."

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
True, Mystic.

Seriously, I can see an online museum of hats taking form from the many excellent pages of the Fedora Lounge, with contributions from all of our photographically gifted members. Perhaps the distillation of images is unnecessary, but my traditional sensibilities await such an endeavor. It could be thought of as a digital "coffe table book."

That would be a great idea. Not only interesting and enjoyable but instructional and a great tool for all hat wearers.

One thing i do know from searching through old threads.....

Way too many photos of nice hats have been lost, removed or just no longer there. :cry:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
An early Stratoliner example - 1940-42. It has the gold printed size label and transitional three section manufacturing label which was replaced by the single section tag somewhere around 1940. It also has a sweatband lot number imprint - unfortunately the third digit is hard to decipher, but I believe it is 7607.

2 1/2" brim, 5" crown.

vitastrat3.jpg

Alan; CONGRATS sir! That is a grand example of the Vita felt (nutria) Stetson Stratoliner. Finding such a Strat in a hat that fits deserves a big cheer. CHEER! The 2.5" brim and crown height is just a perfect combo and shows this to be a good example of the designers initial intent (as it is an early 40's example). I can not wait to see it on the "What Hat Are You Wearing" thread.

I continue to search for a such a hat in a size that works for me. They are precious when you come across them. I am so pleased for you. Again, congrats on finding such a treasure. That treasure has found a perfect home in your collection.

Best, Eric -

Thank you Eric (and Randall and Mystic). I will share some better pictures once I have a chance to steam and refresh the block and flange.

I think it is especially interesting to find this example with older mfg. label and gold size tag... the first Stratoliner I have seen showing these elements. It was suggested some time back on this thread that the Stratoliner featuring this sweatband:

stratolinerfedora12.jpg

was the oldest. I now believe this vita-felt hat and David's (posted a page or two before) with O.P.A. label are examples of an earlier version... perhaps the original. I only wish I could peek between the pages of Jeffrey Snyder's Stetson Hat book to see more of Patty Stetson's Stratoliner.

Hi Ed, I'm not clear on your question. The colors are reasonably close in this picture. The felt color is a brownish beige... less brown than my other old Strat.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Some additional photos!

Brim wide in the front, 2,76 inch , sides, 2,56 inch and in the back 2,76 inch - crown high with bash 4,53 inch
Now I need a Stratoliner pin!! :D
stetsonstratoliner4.jpg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Manfred; Thanks for sharing your wonderfull Stratoliner. The black felt does not turn up often. It is in excellent condition. The embossing on the leather says it all, "Excellent Stetson."

I am so glad that you found this hat and can give it an excellent home. Best, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot