Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Landman

One Too Many
Maybe i am wrong you guys would know better than I

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You should be able to feel the hard reed if you lightly pinch the area where it is connected to the hat body. Personally, I love unreeded hats. They are just so much more comfortable to me. That is why I got excited for you and made my initial comment that started this whole discussion:)

I'm quite sure, you're right. It's not looking reeded to me, either - but may be "taped" (or what it's called) with fabric.

This sweatband attachment method appears in late 1940s lightweight Stetsons (and Mallorys) - perhaps a nod to the flexibility of the non-reeded sweatband that was used earlier in the decade.

Early Stratoliner with box

This is the fifth 1940s Stratoliner I've collected - the first with a box. At one time I discussed with lounge member Zetwal which Stratoliner came first... was it with crown tip medallion or was it this version? I believed the medallions came first. Now I'm not so sure. No evidence that a medallion was ever affixed to this one.

The hat weighs 2.5 ounces... among the lightest Stetsons I have handled. It has been creased previously but shows no other signs of wear or prior ownership. It has deeply scooped sides from 70 years in the narrow Stratoliner box. The sweat stamp lot7673 suggests a date very close to 1940. The manufacture tag is the single field variety. The size tag has been cut off. My Vita-Felt Strat with tip medallion is marked LOT760X (hard to read) and has the older 3-field manufacture tag. 2 5/8" brim, 5 1/2 open crown... very happy to find a blue/gray hat rather than the brown suggested by the auction photos.

earlystrat1.jpg

earlystrat2.jpg

Bow ends secured above the ribbon...

earlystrat3.jpg

earlystrat4.jpg

earlystrat5.jpg

earlystrat6.jpg

earlystrat7.jpg

earlystrat8.jpg

earlystrat9.jpg

earlystrat10.jpg

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Echoing the sentiments above and adding that I love the taco flange and deep sweatband embossing :eusa_clap

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That's a real beauty, Alan ... and it sure won't restrain your hearing! ;)

I love a good taco, but I usually keep it out of my hair (getting easier and easier as my hair gets converted to naked skalp). I do love a deep Strato-flanging, but I would probably flatten the sides a little - and curl it a bit more in the neck. Anyway, that's just details, telling I'm green with envy. Congratulations :D

tommyK

One Too Many
my vintage Stetson Stratoliner
_DSC1131_zpsc189b8ec.jpg

It came to me as a "second chance" ebay purchase. I guess the guy who outbid me had buyers remorse. It does have 2 nasty stains on the crown ribbon. Otherwise it's a really nice hat after a little steaming and brushing. I'd prefer to preserve it as is but i may be tempted to get a new ribbon on it.

_DSC1115_zpsffc27114.jpg
_DSC1120_zps4796fad9.jpg

_DSC1119_zps62e58c45.jpg _DSC1123_zps7f71472c.jpg

_DSC1124_zps71c3926d.jpg
Crown was a little over 5 1/2 and brim is 2 3/4 which is why I wanted it besides being a rare size 7 1/2. Very soft and plush and shapes to anything you want.
No tags inside this one so not sure of age. I'm guessing early to mid 50's

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
It's a hard color to capture. It's kind of a mid brown with a little mauve in it. Looks very different in direct sunlight.

2014-10-15142214_zpsce4c81c3.jpg

The color is another reason I wanted it. I like Open Roads a lot but you don't see many colors besides silverbelly especially in my size.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I'll spend some time over the weekend devouring this thread! A Stratoliner is my next vintage purchase! Can silverbelly in 7 1/8 be found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21