Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Mark G

A-List Customer
Mine is very soft, thin and pretty tough. It's probably from the late forty's early fifity's and the felt is great.

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ipokebadgers said:
HarpPlayerGene,

That is a great color. I haven't any like that before. Is it as soft as it looks. Very nice looking hat.

Thanks, ipoke. It's good quality felt. Very smooth finish and fairly lightweight. Similar to my old Borsalinos which is a compliment to a hat in my book. It isn't "soft" in the velvety, velour-ish sense. It holds it's shape and doesn't smush easily. But if I were to wet it and hand block it differently, it would hold that shape just as well. Real 'agreeable' hat.

MarkG's looks very similar to mine. Same liner logo and tag style.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I know they say to hate the game, not the player; but it is tough to share a hat size with you GWD.lol That strat is amazing, nice score:eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Joe_Frances said:
Sorry, what features make a hat a Stratoliner?

A stratoliner is a particular model of Stetson. It's basically an open road, but with bit of extra curl to the brim. Unlike ORs, which have been around forever and are still made, strats were only around for a short while, and are a tie in with an airplane of the same name. They're nice, but go for insane sums on ebay.

Joe_Frances

New in Town
Lefty said:
A stratoliner is a particular model of Stetson. It's basically an open road, but with bit of extra curl to the brim. Unlike ORs, which have been around forever and are still made, strats were only around for a short while, and are a tie in with an airplane of the same name. They're nice, but go for insane sums on ebay.

Thanks Lefty, you're a gent.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
David Conwill said:
Gosh guys, these are nice. If I weren't so concerned about looking like a cowboy, I might have to someday get a Campdraft and try to fit in with you stylish gents.

-Dave

The thing I like about the Stratoliner is that its like a cross between a fedora and an OR. I'm just not a traditional fedora person, I much prefer the thin ribbons, but I do like stingy brims. My favorite hat is the Stetson Range, its like an OR on steroids. I live in NJ and have no problem wearing a western hat, the thing I like is that when you wear one you are basically saying &^%* #$% to the people that don't like it. :D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dixon,
I've got that pin, but I thought that it had been decided on another thread that this was something other than a strat. I think it this pin was being called the TWA service pin since it's flying the other direction and has 4, rather than 2 engines. Am I right, or is this just a different representation of a strat? I'm not a plane guy, so forgive my ignorace on this one.

Dixon Cannon said:
DSC_0012_0167.jpg

Here's my Stratoliner. Someday I'll buy the hat to attach it to!

-Dixon Cannon

GWD

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Dixon,
I've got that pin, but I thought that it had been decided on another thread that this was something other than a strat. I think it this pin was being called the TWA service pin since it's flying the other direction and has 4, rather than 2 engines. Am I right, or is this just a different representation of a strat? I'm not a plane guy, so forgive my ignorace on this one.

Your pin looks like a Stratoliner, the Boeing 307 had four engines.
307-2b.jpg
DSC_0012_0167.jpg

I think the pin used on the Stratoliner Hat only had two engines. I remember a thread a few months back where a comparison was made to 1940's add and picture of someone's hat here in the lounge and the silhouette was almost identical.

FOUND IT!

web.jpg

1ff5_1.JPG

I still don't know if any one knows without a shadow of a doubt what pin was used.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
Your pin looks like a Stratoliner, the Boeing 307 had four engines.
307-2b.jpg
DSC_0012_0167.jpg

I think the pin used on the Stratoliner Hat only had two engines. I remember a thread a few months back where a comparison was made to 1940's add and picture of someone's hat here in the lounge and the silhouette was almost identical.

FOUND IT!

web.jpg

1ff5_1.JPG

I still don't know if any one knows without a shadow of a doubt what pin was used.

GWD,

Now that I have a dog in this fight, (just won it on OFAS.....can't wait to get it), I'm very interested in the pin. The photo of my hat doesn't show the left side, but I doubt if there's a pin included. (I'm also hoping that it's a 7-1/8, or a "large" 7.)

Anyway, it's obvious from the ad that the airplane on the pin is flying Right to Left:

StratAd.jpg

But it's not so clear whether or not the plane has 2 or 4 engines. It doesn't make sense that it should have only 2 engines, since the Boeing 307 Stratoliner had 4 engines. But the prevailing thought is that it had 2 engines.

Hopefully, mine will include the pin.....I strongly doubt that I could be so lucky. If not, I've already purchased a replacement pin HERE. And it only has 2 engines, so I'm hoping it's fairly accurate.....especially since I paid a premium for it. Any thoughts?

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo