Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Jokerwolf

New in Town
It kind of depends on when it was made. It was and is a felt quality (not that I see it in their current offerings), but it was also a model…sort of. You can buy a Sovereign (felt quality) Temple (model), but there is also the older Sovereign Twenty that doesn’t have another model name printed on the hat so “Sovereign” is also used as the model. That’s been my understanding anyway. Those old hats may have had factory model names that were not printed on the hat, but that’s just speculation.

What I do know, if you find a mid-1950s or earlier Sovereign in a style you like you should buy it. :)

I got this one for about 45 including shipping etc. It was labeled "the sovereign" heritage. It was touted as vintage but as to it's actual age I have no idea. Thoughts on the type, quality etc?
DC56A1A6-EDE3-4EC2-81C2-1BF8F95A1DF7.jpeg
6A17FDCA-3CC0-4FBD-A520-95EDAB041E08.jpeg

I got this one for about 45 including shipping etc. It was labeled "the sovereign" heritage. It was touted as vintage but as to it's actual age I have no idea. Thoughts on the type, quality etc?
View attachment 392595 View attachment 392596

I’d guess mid 1960s to late 1970s and lean more toward the 1970s.

Quality is a different question. I’m sure it’s serviceable as long as moths haven’t gotten to it and the sweatband has been ravaged by dry rot (a common issue). The US hat industry was in steep decline from the later 1950s. Sales were falling steeply and corners were being cut and quality suffered. Stetson went out of business and sold the right to use their name in 1970. The earlier hats, particularly those in larger sizes and in shapes and proportions many here prefer, are expensive and harder to find and getting evermore so.

Jokerwolf

New in Town
I’d guess mid 1960s to late 1970s and lean more toward the 1970s.

Quality is a different question. I’m sure it’s serviceable as long as moths haven’t gotten to it and the sweatband has been ravaged by dry rot (a common issue). The US hat industry was in steep decline from the later 1950s. Sales were falling steeply and corners were being cut and quality suffered. Stetson went out of business and sold the right to use their name in 1970. The earlier hats, particularly those in larger sizes and in shapes and proportions many here prefer, are expensive and harder to find and getting evermore so.
By that do I mean do you have any idea if the sovereign is the model or the quality? Have any idea? I figured the quality was probably pretty good for that for price. Thanks!

Last edited:
By that do I mean do you have any idea if the sovereign is the model or the quality? Have any idea? I figured the quality was probably pretty good for that for price. Thanks!

My guess is that this hat had a model name. In a Stetson catalog of its day it was probably called something other than a Sovereign. I think that the use of Sovereign here is to describe the felt quality. There are really a lot here who can speak with more authority on this. I’m just giving my opinions.

Your hat has a strong alpine or tyrolean vibe and I wouldn’t be surprised if the model name reflected that. Sometimes we can find scans of old catalogs and match up hats, but it’s often still guesswork.

Jokerwolf

New in Town
My guess is that this hat had a model name. In a Stetson catalog of its day it was probably called something other than a Sovereign. I think that the use of Sovereign here is to describe the felt quality. There are really a lot here who can speak with more authority on this. I’m just giving my opinions.

Your hat has a strong alpine or tyrolean vibe and I wouldn’t be surprised if the model name reflected that. Sometimes we can find scans of old catalogs and match up hats, but it’s often still guesswork.
Any idea where I might be able to find some such individuals or groups. If not, it's all good but I'm learning as much as I can. Thanks

View attachment 392595 View attachment 392596

Well, it's not a Stratoliner, which this thread is concentrated on.

Thanks, Jim. The Commander looks like Stefan’s “Strat” in that the wider part of the ribbon in on the underside of the brim (assuming that the row of stitches seen is sewing the binding on to the brim on the underside). I’m looking for the opposite where the wider part of the binding is on the top.

Here's a link to a Penney's Marathon that fits that description.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-penneys-marathon.1679/page-12#post-2786347

Now, we need to get back on topic.

Was watching Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt this evening (for the umpteenth time... I always enjoy it. There are a lot of interesting hats but I never noticed before that the thin ribbon worn by the detective's assistant (played by Wallace Ford, at right) is a Stetson Stratoliner. The film was released in January, 1943 so this would have been a first generation model (circa 1942), pin adorned.

strat1.jpg

strat2.jpg

Was watching Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt this evening (for the umpteenth time... I always enjoy it. There are a lot of interesting hats but I never noticed before that the thin ribbon worn by the detective's assistant (played by Wallace Ford, at right) is a Stetson Stratoliner. The film was released in January, 1943 so this would have been a first generation model (circa 1942), pin adorned.

View attachment 443918

View attachment 443919

Good eye. Early product placement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ