Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

RBH

Bartender
Jim, I think you are right... check back a few years ... I always thought it was a "DC-3'' pin on the Stratoliner. I just had an idea it was the unstamped pin that was on the hat.
I think I gave away my stamped pin at the first Memphis get together and I gave another to a very good friend. BUT I may be on the lookout for another!!!!

Hey Zemke, I REALLY look forward to your thread on you Stratoliner collection!!! What little I have seen here makes me want to see more!!!

RBH

Bartender
RBH said:
I think I gave away my stamped pin at the first Memphis get together and I gave another to a very good friend. BUT I may be on the lookout for another!!!!.....

I was doing some looking and found my last TWA stamped pin.
I may have to look for another hat to put it on. :D

jimmy the lid said:
RBH -- I think you've been right all along...:)

Cheers,
JtL
Thank you my friend!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I will...

I have several Stetson advertisements from the period that I will photograph soon. I got the best of them framed before scanning, so it will take me another day or two to get around to it...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've been eagerly waiting to see the scan of that really rare one you picked up a few months ago.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Stetson made the Stratoliner hat, Knox made the Flying Cloud, and Lee made the uniform hat for the Stratocruiser. Did any other hat companies have something going with these planes?
panamhatboxfull.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Stetson made the Stratoliner hat, Knox made the Flying Cloud, and Lee made the uniform hat for the Stratocruiser. Did any other hat companies have something going with these planes?
/IMG]

Other than the Boeing Stratoliner with the same name, I wasn't aware that the Knox Flying Cloud had anything to do with airplanes. The liner shows a ship in the clouds.

DSC00855.jpg

Am I missing something?

I do have another Airplane themed Stetson, The Stetson Skyhawk,

web.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I know that they use the ship on the Knox hat, but I can't believe that the name Flying Cloud would have been a conincidence when Stetson and Lee were pushing their connection with these Boeing planes, and Resistol had the 990 - I don't know planes, so I don't know what that one's about. I could be wrong, but I think Knox was sort of riding the wave (sorry) of plane names, while deciding to take the look in a different direction.

That Skyhawk is yet another one that I've never seen. Good stuff.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
My Strat has finally arrived...

I never thought I would ever score a Strat, but it has been well worth the wait. Judging by the liner, which still has the oil silk protector, I think this lid could well date to the 40s. Despite its age, it is in virtually mint condition. The felt is absolutely pristine -- lightweight, soft and smooth. Now I get what others here have said about the lightweight nature of their Strats. At 2 3/4", the brim on this one is a tad wider than the norm. As usual, Optimo did a fabulous job on the clean and block, and the felt is gray with a hint of blue undertones -- the actual shade changes depending on the light. I can already tell that this one will be one of my favorite lids. :)

OpenCrown-16.jpg

Liner-17.jpg

StratSweat.jpg

Right-6.jpg

Left-5.jpg

Center-8.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

spim

New in Town
I posted these pics in the Stratoliner box size thread but then decided enlarge them slightly and save them to my Smugmug account so they don't expire when eBay dumps them.

This box sold for $22.27 back in August, the buyer then bought the hat for it yesterday for $355 :D (wasn't me)

409441434_K9828-XL-1.jpg

409441412_6a9Mo-XL.jpg

409441491_Q7SwW-XL-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart