The summer wardrobe

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Dirk Wainscotting, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

GHT, you look truly classic down to the last detail. Thanks for the link to "Clobber...Vintage Fashion". What a great looking shop. I can see from the gallery that I'd happily be able to spend several hours in there.

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Jinkies, Nik - that's a fantastic wardrobe. Send it all to Simon for SJC to replicate in my size!! ;)

What Price Glory in the US, and Soldier of Fortune in the UK, do a very nice version of the RAF bush jacket in a sturdy cotton. Just the long-sleeve version, which I personally prefer - though ironically I think it looks best with the sleeves rolled up(!). I bought ones about seven years ago, and have been wearing it a lot since in the Summer, esecially when gonig to a 'big game hunter' type look. I tend to just wear it over an undershirt, though I have considered buying another one in a size up for wearing as a jacket (as originally designed). SoF used to do 'em in green too, but alas no longer. I might well buy another one to dye....

In Summer, I like to wear cotton trousers, a lighter blazer (boating blazer ideally, though I've grown out of one or two in the last couple of years), and co-respondents. Bows or four in hand, often a cravat. We're hitting the time of year when I switch wool caps and felt fedoras for straws or linen or cotton caps. I feel less organised with my Summer wardrobe this year, alas, as we're into process of sorting out my flat. I have'nt cleared out clothes in nearly twenty years, and really a *lot* of stuff has to go - much of it not worn in a decade. Hopefully I'll have a better wardrobe this time next year (especially after losing some weight....).

3. ashleysummer

ashleysummer Banned

Summer is coming! I'm going to replenish my wardrobe significantly this year. I've already ordered this mini dress for myself and I can't actually wait to try it on! By accident I found this great website with the best women’s vintage clothing . I have been searching for a dress like this with a retro look for weeks, there are so many garments I wish I had!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Very 1960s. But needs big sunglasses and an extravagant hat. (What outfit isn't improved by a hat, right?) Makes me want to watch "The Man from UNCLE" again.

Mr. Nantus and MisterCairo like this.
  5. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I immediately thought of Alicia Vikander in the Man from UNCLE before I got to that part of your post!

6. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Some summer outfits with the new SJC polo shirts

30s French/ German SB beltback linen jacket, 40s US flecked flannels

[​IMG]

30s-40s French DB linen jacket, 40s US pink-tan rayon slacks with blue slubs,

[​IMG]

late 30s/ early 40s US Donegal tweed jacket, 30s heavyweight work trousers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30s UK boating blazer, 30s UK cream cotton trousers

[​IMG]

7. Dirk Wainscotting

Dirk Wainscotting A-List Customer

Love that boating blazer, and the DB(?) linen jacket. Could a donegal tweed and heavyweight trousers really be a summer outfit?

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

I reckon it couldn't. We're having a very late late summer now.
    And yes, that cream linen worn with the brown polo is a DB with a rather unusual narrow DB overlap and button stance for the period.

9. L.deJong

L.deJong Familiar Face

Looks really nice Rabbit, I also like that polo.
    I haven't seen polo's with suchs a wide collar in a long time, really classy!
    I can't find them anywhere in my country:(

10. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Still a few left:
    http://www.simonjamescathcart.com/polo-tees/

Patrick Hall likes this.
  11. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

PeterB and Michael A like this.
  12. L.deJong

L.deJong Familiar Face

I can't choose size uk8,5.
    So, unfortunately, I have to let this one go.

13. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

They fit quite wide but work on wiry feet (like mine), too. I sized down 1 size but a half size would have worked, too. If you're normally a UK8.5 then a UK8 should work nicely.
    For comparison, the last is similar to the wide (G) last that Grenson, Sanders and Mark McNairy are often using for some of their more popular/standard models. Like the Grenson Archie, for example. I forget the name sof the other brands' models.

14. marmalademan

marmalademan Banned

Can anyone here advise on where I might procure some lightweight trousers for summer?

Ideally it's good quality vintage repros that I'd like but I am open to suggestions. TIA

15. Edward

Edward Bartender

The SJC stuff I have is about the best repro I've found - Simon still has some of the lighter trousers from last year on sale - https://simonjamescathcart.com/collections/trousers

The Chinos are also very nice.

At the budget end of the market, I've recently picked up a pair of these: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-summer-service-trousers-chinos-product,13793 At £30 I don't know how long they'll last, but they seem plenty sturdy that I'll at least get one season out of them. Previously had a pair of these, at forty quid; I added some braces buttons, and got about four Summers of heavy wear out of them. I still have them, though they are much past their best now: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ww2-khaki-drill-kd-trousers-product,7759 I believe both of these are ultimately sourced from What Price Glory, so.

Darcy do some nice trousers as well; their cotton ones are plenty wearable in Summer; I also have a pair of the moleskin cricket whites which look superb. http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/trousers.html

16. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

SJC's products look fantastic and almost like owning the real thing! A bit too pricey for me, to be completely honest, especially the trousers. If they had a sale on polo shirts, I perhaps would get a couple.

17. marmalademan

marmalademan Banned

@Edward some very good Intel here, thanks for that.

I'm already an SJC fan and would buy the white deck pants if there were any left. Darcy's is new to me though, and looks promising.

I'm looking at the cricket trousers. Are the moleskin ones that you have more of a spring/autumn weight than they are summer? I want light and airy and it's these and the regular cotton ones than I'm set to choose between

Edward likes this.
  18. Edward

Edward Bartender

The moleskin are about 13oz, I think.... I'd guess the regular cotton probably wears cooler.

Narrower than the SJC trousers - more very early 30s than later, wider stuff, but still plenty wearable wide, not modern skinnies.

marmalademan likes this.
  19. marmalademan

marmalademan Banned

It's bad news from Darcy's. The lightweight cricket trousers have been dixcontinued. At 10.5oz I think they would have been perfect.

So back to the drawing board it is. Is there nobody else reproducing vintage trousers in a light white fabric? SJC has some 11oz light golden chinos just now but I want white, and ideally a bit lighter if possible

20. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

If you scroll down on this thread, on the first page, you will see my off white Oxford bags. They aren't light because they are pure wool, but you can get them made in any fabric that you like. A good choice is a 60/40 mix of cotton and polyester. Don't be put off by the synthetic material, it gives the cotton strength and is wonderfully crease resistant.
    A good starting point is George Dyer, he's based in South London. Just click on his name to see his website. Alternatively you can get yourself a lovely pair of trousers, made to measure, at a very reasonable price, from Rob Crossley, of Rocacha Tailoring. The link that I've given you shows his testimonial page, I'm on the second row down.