THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

Discussion in 'Hats' started by RBH, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Telemaster

Telemaster One of the Regulars

Oh dang... I just saw that Sunbody has a model called The Prez. Not a lot of shops carry it, and there’s almost no pics out there. Looks like the 2.5 oak with a cattleman and a cool leather band instead of the ribbon. The sunbody site describes the crown as a “V Cattleman”... I have never heard of that, but I assume it means that the center-dent is more of a v than a u shape. Anybody heard of this one? The only pics I can find are from the side....

2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Send them an email. They’ve made special orders for me in the past. Great service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Telemaster

Outlaw is on the way to my folks in NY... on Friday I will be too. Unfortunately my “Shipping” is a bit more expensive than the hat’s.

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  4. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Of course, you realize you're now obligated to post photos once you have your new Outlaw in-hand. :cool:

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. deadlyhandsome

Yep. Forum rules and they’re strictly enforced.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Telemaster

It’s going to beat me to my folks place I think. Once I get there and see what I’m going to do to / with it, I will oblige.

deadlyhandsome and Redfokker like this.
  7. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Even if you don't post them, it's not a bad idea to take a few "just out of the box" photos to make it easier to compare how it looked when you got it to how it looks after you've modified it. When I received my "2-1/2 inch brim Oak-colored Tear Drop" (as Sunbody describes it on their website) the Teardrop was in place, but the side dents were almost non-existent and the brim was flat and wavy; boring and disappointing. Fortunately the palm leaves they use become quite malleable after you soak them in water for a few minutes, and I was able to give it the shape I wanted easily.

deadlyhandsome and Redfokker like this.
  8. Redfokker

Redfokker

This hat is one of the models I'm interested in. Are all Sunbody hats needing some tweeking out of the box? Not that it is a bad thing, we all love twerking our hats.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

This was my first (and so far only) Sunbody so I don't know if they "all" need some tweaking, but mine did to take it from this...

[​IMG]

...to this:

[​IMG]

In a way, I'm glad it needed a little help to become what I wanted it to be. I didn't do much--a bit of rake to the crown, deepened the side dents, and gave the brim a more traditional "fedora" shape--but playing with the weaved palm leaves gave me the opportunity to see what they would and wouldn't take.

Oh, and if you twerk your hat, please don't post photos. :D

10. deadlyhandsome

Hat twerking...nope, I’m not looking at that thread. I got in enough trouble googling “XXX hats.”

11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I must have done something wrong; all I got was a bunch of photos of hats. :(

:D

12. Scuttle

Scuttle One of the Regulars

Whoa-- what a great difference! Nicely done. :)

~ S.

Zombie_61 and Redfokker like this.
  13. Redfokker

Redfokker

Very nice! I like a nice fedora crease on a straw. Better get my order ready.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Thank you Gents, I appreciate it.

Funny you should mention a fedora crease Mr. Dicianna, because that's pretty much what I wanted; a "straw fedora". And when I took the time to measure the brim and found out it was 1/16" to 1/8" wider on the sides and 1/4" wider front and back than the stated 2-1/2" on Sunbody's website, I realized I essentially had a palm leaf version of my Fed IVs. :D

RJR, Redfokker and deadlyhandsome like this.
  15. Telemaster

Ok.... shipping took a bit longer than I had expected. Got it today.
    Here’s before. A9B4BC2B-96BB-43BA-BB99-F489B458EF42.jpeg 2C215328-C021-4EF4-A911-FE0E9FEBE110.jpeg

RJR, Zombie_61 and johnnycanuck like this.
  16. Telemaster

Here’s after.
    I foresee further fiddling in my not-so-distant future, but I am quite pleased.
    F558890C-1E4D-4F2C-A501-243F1D6B87C0.jpeg 6F2CED3F-30FC-46F5-AC5A-70D0B6FC223D.jpeg 2122B91F-06BC-4472-9B52-BC61482B78C1.jpeg

17. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. Telemaster

Thanks man!

johnnycanuck likes this.
  19. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack A-List Customer

Hi Brent, how has this hat worked out for you? I'm leaning toward the fedora style Sunbody. That way I can wear it for work, and if I don't dirty it up too much it could be a more casual lid for the summer as well. I'm debating between a 3 or 3.5" brim, but I worry that the larger size will look a little weird seeing as the crown isn't very high. On the flip side, my Akubra felt measures 4" crown in front (4.5" sides) with a 3" brim. So the dimensions are pretty similar. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with adding the half inch to the brim and still make it look "casual" and balanced.

Also, what is the difference between the standard and fine palm? I know it's been mentioned in this thread before, but i don't really want to take the time to fish through it again. From what I remember, there wasn't a whole lot different, but there's about $30 difference in price. I didn't want to miss out out anything if I decided to go the cheaper route.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  20. deadlyhandsome

Hey Ryan,

First, I wasn’t too impressed with the differences between standard and fine palm. I also have a fine palm with a 3 inch brim. I like the wider brim for sun protection, but the low crown and overall proportions don’t work for me. I’ve tried to reblock the 3” but it didn’t help. The 2.5” has much nicer proportions and I like it a lot. I don’t wear it often, but it’s a keeper. Also, the brim dimensions are just approximations and my 2 1/2 brim measures closer to 2 5/8; not a big deal to me.

For me, my 3” brim fine palm fedora is now a yard work hat. My newer 2.5” brim oak fedora looks much nicer dressed up a bit and is an entirely more stylish hat.

The nature of palm means it really can never be a dress hat. Palm is also thick and not very cool wearing. These hats won’t take the place of a Panama hat, but they are rugged and shrug off abuse. Good luck and post photos.

Brent

Zombie_61 and Just A Hat Rack like this.