Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I took a few snaps of the hat last weekend, none came out very well, but you can get an idea of what the hat looks like. It's the 4" brim Guatemalan palm, medium crown, with eyelets. It was shaped in a pretty ugly Cattleman crease, I didn't order an open crown model because of the attendant delay, this was in stock and ready to ship. Ordering was very easy the hat was well packaged and shipped immediately, I was very happy with the whole process, and I'm liking the hat the more I wear it. Yes, it's a bit heavier than I would like but it's not a dealbreaker.

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG

circle_t

New in Town
Has anyone here removed the cotton sweatband from their Sunbody? The hat I bought last summer is feeling a little tight, and I've already wetted and stretched it. I was thinking about the back half of the sweat out for some extra breathing room but don't want to ruin the thing...

Yahoody

One Too Many
I have not. But I have put them in a hat stretcher many times when soaked. Easy to get a couple of sizes bigger and not hurt the hat using a decent hat stretcher.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I had mine replaced with a real leather sweatband.

Has anyone here removed the cotton sweatband from their Sunbody? The hat I bought last summer is feeling a little tight, and I've already wetted and stretched it. I was thinking about the back half of the sweat out for some extra breathing room but don't want to ruin the thing...

20200506_203828.jpg

Oh I like that idea! I’ll give stretching another go, and if I’m still not satisfied then I’ll probably try removing part of the sweat knowing I can replace it with leather if I don’t like the results. Thanks!

I too had one replaced with a leather Sweatband. Mike at Mustang Mike’s Custom Hats said it was a difficult thing to do and he wasn’t looking to do another.

Yahoody

One Too Many
I used to buy the Akubra 2nds and returns cheap @ David Morgan when I lived closer. They were shocked I'd buy some hats just to rip the sweat out and put it in another hat. Never for a Sunbody however. Cheaper to just buy a new Sunbody :) These days I have a box of nice new leather sweats ready sew up. But have to say I really like the cloth sweat in a Sunbody. It cooled down to a balmy high 80s his afternoon. But mid 70% humidity. Really high for us. I needed to move an hour's worth of hay. It was either a Sunbody or a head band to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I took a Sunbody. As intended it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I dig the existing sweatband for how I use this hat, very comfortable when wet and no need for maintenance or worry about shrinkage or drying out after repeating soakings. It's a different feeling fit than a leather band, a bit spongy, but not a bad one.

Last edited:

GabGarde

New in Town
Got my first SunBody a couple of months ago: the Golden Gus in Mexican fine palm. It provides great shade and is very soft and comfortable. The one qualm I have is that the crown measured an inch lower than it’s supposed to; a shame considering I love tall crowns, but I’ve grown to love it regardless. I replaced the band with a beaded band, and added a stampede string.

73C13575-2FFC-4ED5-B8C1-5687E1B12C2B.jpeg

65E591F0-0BD3-48E1-B3CA-466CC5925CBB.jpeg

7983FB02-C1C5-4C3F-B5FC-FBA39A55422D.jpeg

Today, just received my Plantation hat with cream band, in Guatemalan standard palm. Cream was the only band colour left; I like that it’s classic and elegant, but I think the darker brown or black would’ve worked better with my darker complexion and black hair. Love the brim curl and it’s just wide enough without being as wide as the Sam Houston, which was my other option.
319E337F-D619-4937-AFD5-539E299E02D5.jpeg

06BF7DFD-E915-41D0-991A-9CF91F8B7F47.jpeg

2DEA5677-1973-4A23-9524-70B741316474.jpeg

Now, a side by side comparison of the Mexican fine palm and the Guatemalan standard. It’s really night and day! I’m sure both are equally tough. The Mexican is springy and soft, and has a very refined, smooth look. The Guatemalan is coarse and rougher around the edges, but feels robust and has a classic, rustic beauty to it. Also, I love how they both smell; reminds me of straw hats I used to wear as a kid back home in the Philippines. It’s funny because, shape wise, the Plantation is the more “formal”, but the straws tell a different story. I will get some great use out of both in the Brisbane heat.
957E7F4B-90B9-43C0-A46F-A0D3D1B60C64.jpeg

A0423048-3687-4B1D-B204-1210E380C495.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E7C46DA-C08B-44B3-8DED-8F9932B9E8BC.jpeg
    0E7C46DA-C08B-44B3-8DED-8F9932B9E8BC.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18

TBert

New in Town
Got the Sunbody today in the mail. Added a beaded hatband to spice it up a little.
Gb30dVW.jpg

Eiw3I3P.jpg

UMpYEGg.jpg

Cxt11KJ.jpg

I like it so far. I think it will tighten up a little and there is just enough room for that. I think this will get a lot of wear this summer even with shorts and t-shirts and flip flops.
ET, love the band, can you please tell me where you found it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner