Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

laotou

One of the Regulars
It has been awfully quite here at the Association. For years it looks like.
Heck, I'm new here, maybe it time I start something.
Spring is soon upon us, and I see a Sunbody in my future.
I have a question for those of you that have seen both the standard and fine weave.
How do they compare?
I'm leaning toward the fine. For the small price deference, I figure , why not?
I'm just wondering how they stack up.

Duper

Practically Family
4465707758_58c1459f6e.jpg

laotou, Sorry I don't have both types but I did just receive this fine Guatemalan palm fedora a couple of days back. I like it very much. I just noticed last evening that I could have had some ventilation eyelets installed when I had placed my order directly from Sunbody Hats. I also ordered an upgraded hat band at purchase time.

I wonder why they don't offer real leather sweatbands for an additional fee? That would be a nice upgrade as well.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have a gambler, but I don't think it looks good on me.
Here are two picks with different shapes (I like the wet shaping feature of these hats).
Photo266.jpg

Photo251.jpg

It is just a little two country for me. As it turns out, three and a half inches is quite a lot.

It will probably end up as a birthday gift for my father.

rrog

A-List Customer
Duper said:

laotou, Sorry I don't have both types but I did just receive this fine Guatemalan palm fedora a couple of days back. I like it very much. I just noticed last evening that I could have had some ventilation eyelets installed when I had placed my order directly from Sunbody Hats. I also ordered an upgraded hat band at purchase time.

I wonder why they don't offer real leather sweatbands for an additional fee? That would be a nice upgrade as well.

Nice hat Duper. I think that's a good looking hat band you've got on that one. If I recall correctly, one of my Sunbody Hats did come with a plain, brown leather band. But I'd have to dig it out to make sure. And about the eyelets, there's some discussion earlier in this thread about doing it yourself. I've done it and I don't consider myself a great do-it-yourself-er. But since I already had the punch, all I had to buy was a bag of eyelets. I just ordered another Sunbody for this spring. I got the Silver Creek Fedora, but I'm getting mine in the fine Guatemalan palm. I like the ability to re-shape it myself, which you're not supposed to do with the Mexican palm. (One of the things I love about Sunbody Hats is they will customize a hat the way you want without it costing you an arm and a leg.) Once I get it, the first thing I'll do is put in some eyelets to make it a little cooler. I'll post some pics as soon as I have it fixed up.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
laotou said:
I have a question for those of you that have seen both the standard and fine weave.
How do they compare?

Hey laotou, welcome to the lounge. I have both a standard and fine Guatemalan hat. Even though they're very similar, you can tell a difference. My guess is that as you wear the hat, most people wouldn't notice any difference. I just ordered another fine. I asked my wife's opinion between the standard and fine before I placed my order and she liked the fine better than the standard. She couldn't say why - she just said it looked better. There was a time when I said that I wouldn't pay the extra money for the fine since the standard was very adequate. Since my wife liked the fine, that's the one I went with. If she had picked the standard, I would have ordered that without a blink. But in my opinion, you really can't go wrong either way. I think I wore one or the other of mine just about everyday last summer and they both stood up to the use very well.

For what it's worth,
rrog

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Duper said:

I did just receive this fine Guatemalan palm fedora a couple of days back.

That hat looks super, Duper (couldn't resist). Mind sharing just which model it is? I've been thinking about straw hats lately. I'm not as keen on my Shantung as I once was.

-Dave

Big_e

Practically Family
Oh, Fedora Lounge is merciless!:eusa_doh: I'm gonna get just the one that Yeps is wearing. A gambler.
Ernest

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Big_e said:
Oh, Fedora Lounge is merciless!:eusa_doh: I'm gonna get just the one that Yeps is wearing. A gambler.
Ernest

It is a nice hat, and I think that you will look good in it. I gave mine to my dad for his birthday and it worked great for him. It just wasn't quite right for me.

rrog

A-List Customer
Nice looking hat, laotou. That one was my first one too. And if you're like me, that won't be your last Sunbody. They're very comfortable.

rrog

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone comment on how these compare comfort wise to a Panama in hot humid weather? More specifically a Cuenca if possible.

laotou

One of the Regulars
CRH said:
Can anyone comment on how these compare comfort wise to a Panama in hot humid weather? More specifically a Cuenca if possible.
I haven't had my Sunbody long enough to help much with your question Craig, but I can tell you it is more "robust" than the woven straws I have. I like the heft of it.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CRH said:

I believe you will find the Sunbodies much heavier and hotter than would be a Cuenca. If you want a comfortable and cool hot weather hat try a Cuenca brisa weave. It will be much more open to the breeze if there is one.

I do have a Sunbody and have made it an outdoor work/leisure hat for such as mowing and beach sitting. It takes the sweat and moisture very well and keeps on looking good, and you can reshape it time and again until you wear it out.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeps said:
I have a gambler, but I don't think it looks good on me.
Here are two picks with different shapes (I like the wet shaping feature of these hats).

Photo251.jpg

It is just a little two country for me. As it turns out, three and a half inches is quite a lot.

It will probably end up as a birthday gift for my father.

Hi Yeps

Your second picture reminds me of Wally Stephens who was working as a dishwasher in the diner, and was a great dancer in the movie 1941. Now you need a zoot suit to do with the look. You truly look like the kind of guy Dads warn their daughters about. lol

If you still have it, DON'T give it to your Dad.

Later

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS said:
Hi Yeps

Your second picture reminds me of Wally Stephens who was working as a dishwasher in the diner, and was a great dancer in the movie 1941. Now you need a zoot suit to do with the look. You truly look like the kind of guy Dads warn their daughters about. lol

If you still have it, DON'T give it to your Dad.

Later

Thanks for the compliments, but it is a bit late, I did give it to my dad and it looks really great on him, so I am happy. I have filled the gap in my hat wardrobe with a panama, and I like how that has been working out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner