The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by resortes805, Nov 18, 2011.

1. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

Another perfect condition DB 3-piece suit. Originally owned by the same guy who owned the suit I just posted above. He really knew how to take care of these things. Really nice lapel shape. This one is sold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

The third and last one for the night...another DB 3-piece in pretty much perfect condition. The jacket buttons were moved at some point in time, I will move them back to their original positions. Beautiful chalkstripe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

There's a few British companies that might be of interest to you. It's a bit like fishing, you need hours of patience.
    Tweedman, Savvy Row, Sir Plus. And for all those authentic accoutrements like original ties and socks, try Rocket Originals. Happy hunting.

4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

These suits are all new, but made to measure using original patterns. The first is a blue pin stripe zoot suit.
    zoot suit riot.jpg robmg.jpg
    The second one is an exact copy of my father's demob suit. At the end of WW2 and demobilisation of the armed forces, everyone was given a suit of their choice. The styles were all from the 1930's because, when you are fighting a war, there's little time for the fashion show.
    422746828.JPG
    Not all thirties styles were double breasted, this brown pin stripe is a classic example, copied directly from a magazine dated 1938.
    hercules.jpg
    We went to a wedding last year that had an Hawaiian theme. For the formal part I wore a classic, blue linen suit. It has a half belt at the back. Look how easily linen crumples.
    wedding.jpg

5. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt A-List Customer

Awesome suits you guys showed above!

6. michael78

michael78 One of the Regulars

What a stunning suit!... just love that fabric, and its British! Yephee!!

7. michael78

Hey Guys,
    Here are some images of suit i acquired a couple of weeks ago, seller described it as 1930s but i've had a look at the union label and it seems to say 1939, difficult to make-out.
    Would that make it later? ( 40s ).
    The fabric is a lovely Mid to dark blue with a very faint red pinstripe, and has a slightly rough texture.
    The label on the inside of the jacket says Staunton Clothes, any of your guys no of them?.

Cheers
    Mike

30s1.jpg

30s2.jpg

30s3.jpg

30s4.jpg

30s5.jpg 30s6.jpg

30s8.jpg

8. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

I have a suit in almost identical fabric and similar style made in 1938, American as well, made by Utah Woolen Mills. Comparing some details, I'd say your suit dates a bit later, since:
    - the shoulders appear more squared-shape and padded;
    - the front quarters are more closed (mine are rounded and open)
    - the jacket is overall longer;
    - trousers have a significant taper, which was more common in the 40s.
    Great find anyway!

9. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Staunton is not a name that I have come across before now, nonetheless that is a very sharp, aesthetically pleasing suit, compliments to you.
    Debbie & Oscar have a really good website that gives you a flavour of 1930's fashions, from suits to blazers, from the golf course to the races, everything that you need or just wish to compere or refer to. Here's a link to them: Vintage Dancer.

Kennyz likes this.
  10. michael78

Many thanks guys, will have look at there site.

11. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

I concur with Mathematicus. I'd guess pre-war 1940's. Beautiful suit!

Michael A likes this.
  12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Whilst at The Goodwood Revival, I saw this rather good Savile Row suit. Made by Gieves & Hawkes, it is just so classy. But with a 40" chest regular, 35" waist, & 29.5" inner leg, I need to lose some weight to get into it. But for some with the right measurements, it's a steal at £65. Here's the suit.

Michael A likes this.
  13. VintageEveryday

VintageEveryday A-List Customer

thank you. Still challenging, but it's a new lead

14. buler

buler I'll Lock Up

Store window, 1935:

suits_window_1935.JPG suits_window_1935_zoom1.JPG suits_window_1935_zoom2.JPG

willyto, Johnny J, Michael A and 4 others like this.
  15. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt A-List Customer

The roll of these lapels - stunning!
    Especially on that SB suit.

willyto and Michael A like this.
  16. buler

buler I'll Lock Up

Nebraska Clothing Company window, 1934:

nebraska_clothing_co_1934.JPG nebraska_clothing_co_1934_zoom1.JPG nebraska_clothing_co_1934_zoom2.JPG

17. Jarrettgs

Jarrettgs New in Town

1930s (I think? Maybe I could get some help dating it.) suit from Billings, Montana. 1930suitblue.jpg

18. Jarrettgs

Jarrettgs New in Town

1930s DB suit, belted back, charcoal color 3-piece.
    28407533_1624507587640055_432826803_o.jpg 28460963_1624507574306723_188494455_o.jpg

19. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

Was that belted back that overattired vintage was selling on etsy? It's quite nice. Would love to see a photo of the back. Re: the navy suit in your first post, it's really had to tell from those photos how old it is. Shots of the inside of the coat, any union labels in the inside pocket, and shots of the trouser closures and belt-loop set up would help a lot. How wide are the hems? Regardless, it's a classic, versatile suit that will serve you well! Great finds! Thanks for sharing pics.

willyto likes this.
  20. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

And I thought it's impossible to find other color than black around here. The color is navy blue. Condition isn't perfect, there are few moth holes and some cleaning is needed, but it cost less than ten dollars excl. porto. intact waistcoat included. Master tailor was V. Hampejs from Zduchovice (then Czechoslovakia). Any advice how to repair moth holes ? Largest is ca 4 mm long and 3 mm wide.
    IMG_0338.jpg