Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to end all Hair Advice Threads

SayCici

Practically Family
bangs002.jpg

My version of the second look from this page:

2009-08-0108-30-04428.jpg

Next time I'll need to use an actual setting lotion and smaller pincurls I think!

Adele

One of the Regulars
Ohh, I think that hairstyle would look wonderful on you (your first attempt already looks cute)!

If I happen to see any vintage hairstyles meant for short hair, I will be sure to pass it on to you. For now, I can only contribute this (though your hair would have to be longer... not exactly what you were asking for):

(Focus on the "The Lady From Shanghai" photos.)
http://www.doctormacro1.info/Movie%20Star%20Pages/Hayworth,%20Rita-Annex.htm

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
Hiya,

SayCiCi this is a great thread to start - I too have short hair like yours.
There are allot of vintage hair threads - but I don't think there are any on very short hair like ours.

At the moment I am trying to grow my hair so I can achieve something like Ingrid Bergman from the 1940s hairstyles book. But I do love Audreys hair in Roman Holiday and Sabrina.

SayCici

Practically Family
Celia Crowson said:
Hiya,

There are allot of vintage hair threads - but I don't think there are any on very short hair like ours.

At the moment I am trying to grow my hair so I can achieve something like Ingrid Bergman from the 1940s hairstyles book. But I do love Audreys hair in Roman Holiday and Sabrina.
Good luck growing it out! Ingrid Bergman is such an inspiration!

snowcrocus

New in Town
Help!

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread - there seem to be many about hair and pin-curling, but I haven't found one yet that answers my questions (though I have found a lot of useful information!). I apologize if this is a repeat. I’m bad with this forum thing, and I couldn’t find a search feature…

So first, my questions:

1. Is setting lotion/setting spray the only name this goes by, or is it a category that might have other names?
2. Are there brands of setting lotion/spray that you’d recommend – particularly spray?
3. What do I do to keep my curls in horribly, horribly humid weather (think 97+% humidty)?

Next, some explanations, so you know why I’m asking:

My hair – very long, very straight, no layers.
My goal – I’m not specifically looking for a vintage style, I’m just using the techniques to get a look I like. I’m not really interested in layering my hair at this point, and I’ve been considering for a while but have finally decided I don’t really want to cut it shorter, either. Some friends suggested I pin curl my hair, as I’d been saying maybe I’d get a perm to have some body/wave or loose curls. I tried it, and really liked the results, however, all is not well in paradise!

I started doing the pin curls in Paris. Basically I’d roll them up at night and sleep on them, usually dry because I do not wash my hair every day. It would make these great ringlets that were a little crazy when I first took the pins out, but which I could very gently shape and would then pin around a rolled bun in the back. This style would last all day and looked nice. I brushed the curls out a couple of times to experiment. The results were completely unpredictable; sometimes it’d look nice, sometimes it’d be straight again within a very short period, and sometimes it’d look like a frizzy mess of a lion’s mane. So mostly I just stuck with the bun/ringlets combination – meaning I did not comb the curls at all after unpinning them in the morning (with my long hair, I suspect the weight means handling will quickly stretch the curls out).

Then I got home to Florida. As you might imagine, the climate is rather different here… I did my hair as usual yesterday, and within 10 minutes 75% of the curls were gone. (And no, I’m not exaggerating!) I read some suggestions for wet rolling the curls, and as I hadn’t found setting spray or lotion in France (I had no idea what it’d be called there), I thought the combination of wet curling and setting spray might do the trick.

The next step was complete disaster. Perhaps what I got is not the setting spray referred to here, but my hair has never looked worse than when I removed my pins this morning. I bought the only product I could find that had “setting lotion” in the name. I allowed my hair to mostly dry, applied the setting lotion (which was really a spray), and rolled my curls as I’ve been doing. Nearly 12 hours later, the curls were still very slightly damp when I unrolled them. They were uneven and lumpy. The hair looked stringy and disgusting. I shouted out loud in horror. Then I brushed my hair out, because there was no way I was leaving that scraggly mess in view. It looked tolerable, but after an hour or two just looked kind of puffy without much wave.

So… wet curling them is apparently not going to work here in Florida. I don’t know if it was that or the setting lotion that gave the really awful-looking texture to the curls, or what else I can do here. Darn, I was so enjoying the curls in Paris!

Thanks for any help and suggestions!
Charlotte

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
So, I've been watching the "film costumes" thread and I fell in love with this:

hairstyle.
It doesn't seem too hard to do either, a bit of finger waves, then pin curled at the bottom. So, where do I find setting lotion, and is it going to be crazy for me to try to do it by myself?

Annex20-20Tierney20Gene20Laura_05.jpg

also....I found a video of someone at a Salon doing a finger wave. Only it looked like it was actually being permed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImXzW6ZPxl8

anyone know what's up with it?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
It doesn't seem too hard to do either, a bit of finger waves, then pin curled at the bottom. So, where do I find setting lotion, and is it going to be crazy for me to try to do it by myself?

Annex20-20Tierney20Gene20Laura_05.jpg

To do Gene's hair here, it has to be just above shoulder length (at least), and the top hair must be 4-5 inches. You curl the top and side hair, including bangs, backwards away from the face, and the rest is just curled. When you take out the set, brush the hair out really fervently, and flip the ends outward.
You'll need long layers and some mousse to do this. Trust me, if I can achieve it with my heavy, pin-straight hair using only mousse and some sponge rollers, its not very difficult! lol

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
Celia Crowson said:
Hiya,

I forgot to add SayCiCi, other than Audreys short lovely locks - I also think these other actresses with short hair look amazing: Jean Seberg in Bonjour tristesse and À bout de souffle; Mia Farrow in Rosmary's Baby and A Dandy in Aspic AND Anne Heche in Psycho [I don't care what anyone else says I like the remake :)]

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For setting lotions questions, please search for Lottabody in the Beauty section. Did you know that you can sort the threads alphabetically? Makes it much easier if you know the title of the thread.

I agree that the FOL search SUCKs, but that is why we have a stick at the top of every room telling you how to use the google to search the FL.

Too many new threads!

We REALLY need a major sorting with SUBCATEGORIES in the Powder room and Beauty, it is out of control...

Beauty:
Hair
Makeup
Skin Care
Nails
Posture/Body/Exercise

For instance.

So draft me as a bartender already...

Miss_Amanda

New in Town
My First Ever Post!!!

Hi Ladies,
This is my first official post as a new member; however, I’ve been reading the forums for so long I hardly feel new. In any case, I’m going for a hair cut on Thursday and have decided to take the plunge and get a good deal of my hair cut off. It’s at the middle of my back now, and I’m thinking it would be great around my shoulders or so. I know that’s somewhat longer than what has been discussed on this thread, but I figure you ladies will have some wonderful ideas for us mid-length short gals, too.
I would like a style that is very basic, that I can pin curl and part or do the flip, or even throw in a pony tail when it’s time for finals.. Also, I kind of prefer the late 40s early 50s haircuts. Pre-bouffant but post victory roll, (yes, I know that’s vague) although I do enjoy rolling my ‘do from time to time!  Honestly, I don’t even know where to begin or what to look for. Though I have been interested and involved with vintage for a while, I’ve never really cut my hair to fit the style; rather I reworked the style to fit my hair. Any advice?
I hope I posted in the right place and in the correct manner. If not, please let me know. I’d be glad to move my post wherever you think it might be more appropriate. I will try to post some photographs I found on the cover of my vintage Seventeen’s as well as on Google image search. I hope nobody minds my using these images. I will source them!

Miss_Amanda

New in Town
Those Photos!

The styles I really like come from Beauty and the Bath. They can be found at:http://www.beauty-and-the-bath.com/womens-1950s-hairstyles.html
I like tiles 1,2, and 6. The photos come up as x's. So, I won't upload them. Plus, I really don't know if it's allowed. :)

Also, I really like the blondish haired woman sitting in the big photo about half way the page. That's the the look I'm really going for. I just don't know if that might work with my hair.
:eek:fftopic: Does anyone know how I can upload a photo in my own files?
Again, I hope it's okay to use this site. If not, I'll delete the post!
Thanks!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can't upload photos, there is not room on the Lounge to store them, so, they have to be linked from somewhere on the web, so use Photobucket or Flicker or your Myspace or Facebook pages to store them, then link to them using the little mountain icon thingy above this box you type in.

Mirinda

New in Town
Hi girls,

I've got lots of questions about hair (mainly because my thin, super-straight hair is impossible to set or curl :( ), but I wanted to ask you a simple mundane question: I've been wearing my hair short for years and now I've finally let it grow past my shoulders but I have no idea what to do with it when I go sleep - up until now there was no problem but lately my boyfriend keeps on lying on it and it's annoying :p
Should I tie it up in a braid? I thought that could be less harmful for the hair than a ponytail, but I'm not sure. Any advice?

Thanks in advance! :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Mirinda said:
Hi girls,

I've got lots of questions about hair (mainly because my thin, super-straight hair is impossible to set or curl :( ), but I wanted to ask you a simple mundane question: I've been wearing my hair short for years and now I've finally let it grow past my shoulders but I have no idea what to do with it when I go sleep - up until now there was no problem but lately my boyfriend keeps on lying on it and it's annoying :p
Should I tie it up in a braid? I thought that could be less harmful for the hair than a ponytail, but I'm not sure. Any advice?

Thanks in advance! :)

If your goal is long hair, then the general advice is to keep your hair "confined" some how; braided, low ponytail, but not too tightly. Satin pillow cases are good too because it prevents friction that might otherwise damage your hair. I know that ladies who have very long hair often prefer to sleep with their hair braided. A sleeping cap?! I don't know what your boyfriend will think of that.

Mirinda

New in Town
Lillemor said:
If your goal is long hair, then the general advice is to keep your hair "confined" some how; braided, low ponytail, but not too tightly. Satin pillow cases are good too because it prevents friction that might otherwise damage your hair. I know that ladies who have very long hair often prefer to sleep with their hair braided. A sleeping cap?! I don't know what your boyfriend will think of that.

Thanks for your answer!

Well, my goal is long hair at least until Christmas (I'm sort of getting bored of long hair, overall because I can't set it nicely).

I hadn't thought of satin pillow cases, it sounds nice :)

I don't think my boyfriend would complain about a sleeping cap but I move around a lot while sleeping, so I don't think it'd stay in place!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've actually got silk pillowcases, I find them better than satin and they make me feel all princessy.

When I had very long hair (to my thighs) I used to braid it every night and pin it up around my head, very Little House on the Prairie!

Mirinda

New in Town
Smuterella said:
I've actually got silk pillowcases, I find them better than satin and they make me feel all princessy.

When I had very long hair (to my thighs) I used to braid it every night and pin it up around my head, very Little House on the Prairie!

Oh my, thigh-long hair! How did you do to dry it??

Silk pillowcases sound very girly and princess-like, I love it! I must try to find some :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff