Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to end all Hair Advice Threads

SayCici

Practically Family
I couldn't find some of the older "what should I do with my hair?" threads so I thought I'd make one that everyone could refer themselves to! I'll start :)

I'm relatively happy with my short hair, it takes little to no upkeep and I feel suits me, but I'd love to know if anyone had an idea as to a vintage style that may fit me just as well (or better)? I don't care about the era (as long as its pre-60s), but I do dress mostly in 1940s-50s fashion.

Pictures to show face shape and whatnot:
3763286875_4a2043f269.jpg

3708938336_c992a08813.jpg

3536764942_7406332fb4.jpg

Thank you!

SayCici

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
There are over 180 threads on hair in beauty :)

LD
That was my oversight, sorry! I always forget Beauty exists, I only looked in the Powder Room, but I figure they can still be combined so new ones don't always have to be started!

SayCici

Practically Family

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Fewer threads are good, as long as they are each a sub-topic and kept to that topic.

Sadly, the issue with toooo much combining...is that by page 52 of a 'thread to end all other threads', people stop reading pages 1-52...and then they just ask their question again either in a new thread...or on page 53....'because I couldn't possibly read all of that other stuff'....so its an endless circle.

heh...

SayCici

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Fewer threads are good, as long as they are each a sub-topic and kept to that topic.

Sadly, the issue with toooo much combining...is that by page 52 of a 'thread to end all other threads', people stop reading pages 1-52...and then they just ask their question again either in a new thread...or on page 53....'because I couldn't possibly read all of that other stuff'....so its an endless circle.

heh...
Ah, well hair is fairly personal! Looking at other threads wouldn't help me with trying to find a new hairstyle because I'm looking for personal suggestions from my peers. Like I like Shirin's example of marcel waves, but I wouldn't know what kind of cut it requires, how to do the wave, or what it would look like on the average day I couldn't do my hair!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
SayCici said:
Thanks for sharing that site! Unfortunately I can never find much evidence of women having short hair (above the ears) in the 40s and 50s, as abundant as it is in the 20s and 30s.
I'll try to scan and post pictures later, but I have a few 1950's knitting pattern books that show models with pixie hair cuts quite similar to yours.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
SayCici said:
Thanks for sharing that site! Unfortunately I can never find much evidence of women having short hair (above the ears) in the 40s and 50s, as abundant as it is in the 20s and 30s.

I *LOVE* this photo of Joan Crawford in the 20's with an Eton (or shingle??) haircut. It's clipper cut in the back! I actually gasped when I saw it.
I wonder if she got it at a barber shop.
It's from a book called, "Grand Illusions" by Richard Lawton. Lotsa old school hollywood pics.

joan2.jpg

You are rockin' the pixie cut. You could grow it just a little into a baby middy. With a little tweeking it could be very Hepburn.

Audrey-Hepburn-Pixie-fb-28113037.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Thank you very much to the three of you!!

Kamikat, that's great, thank you! I'd love to see some hair that isn't all glamour!

MissAmelina, I love Joan Crawford's hair in that picture! I also love Audrey's short like that, I always mean to take a picture in with me when I get my hair cut but I can never find one big or clear enough. Do you have an example of a baby middy? I searched to no avail!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
SayCici said:
Do you have an example of a baby middy? I searched to no avail!

Whoops..... I lied. :) I was thinking of something called "the shingle" haircut. A baby middy is still about 3-4 inches long all over, which is much longer than yours at this point. Let me see what I can come up with. Audrey's is about the same length as a shingle I'm thinking of in that photo. It's the cut she wears in Roman Holiday. So if you look for photos of her from that period you will find some great examples. Or rent it, if you haven't seen it. It's so cute.

There is also a great book called, "Creative Hairshaping and Hairstyling" by Ivan of Hollywood. You can get reprint copies on amazon. We are not allowed to post images of it here, due to copyright. It is mentioned in both the "what to ask for vintage haircut thread" , and the "books about the looks" thread too.

(That's the shingle of the 40s/50s that is in Ivan's book, not the 20s shingle bob......there are a lot of names for these things, and sometimes I have no idea what I am talking about when i think i do....hehe....anyone else have that problem? and I am looking everywhere to find the exact name of her cut, and "pixie" is the only thing that keeps coming up)

SayCici

Practically Family
MissAmelina said:
Whoops..... I lied. :) I was thinking of something called "the shingle" haircut. A baby middy is still about 3-4 inches long all over, which is much longer than yours at this point. Let me see what I can come up with. Audrey's is about the same length as a shingle I'm thinking of in that photo. It's the cut she wears in Roman Holiday. So if you look for photos of her from that period you will find some great examples. Or rent it, if you haven't seen it. It's so cute.

There is also a great book called, "Creative Hairshaping and Hairstyling" by Ivan of Hollywood. You can get reprint copies on amazon. We are not allowed to post images of it here, due to copyright. It is mentioned in both the "what to ask for vintage haircut thread" , and the "books about the looks" thread too.

(That's the shingle of the 40s/50s, not the 20s shingle bob......there are a lot of names for these things, and sometimes I have no idea what I am talking about when i think i do....hehe....anyone else have that problem? and I am looking everywhere to find the exact name of her cut, and "pixie" is the only thing that keeps coming up)

I love Roman Holiday, despite the ending! haha

That book looks great, thank you! I may just have to invest in it, most of my searches for the shingle only brings up information about the same cut from the 20s/30s! Thanks for all the information and help!

Shirin, I'm practicing my finger waves now! I thought they were the same as marcel waves until I realized the latter implements something hot and scary. :p

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Your hair is so cute! You look rather like a friend of mine, too. =)

I don't have any suggestions, but i think this is great - there's not much that i've seen here on really short hair. The examples people have posted are just wonderful.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
SayCici, i was looking at your pictures and i think you'd look good with this haircut, i think i like this better than Audrey's hair, easier to maintain too! ;) But you must let it grow a bit,, not much layering is needed for this one, so go easy whith the layering.

~Isn't she gorgeous? Natalie Wood in the 1950s~

0000116638-73766L.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Hadley, thank you for that picture! I think that's the 'Joan of Arc'/gamine hair style that Ingrid Bergman popularized in the 50s! The great thing about that cut is that it would look cute styled or not!

And she's definitely gorgeous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda