Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate bad-guys of cinema-history?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I doubt there was a kid of a certain generation - when "The Wizard of Oz" came on once a year and everyone gathered to watch it - who was at the right age - 5 or 6 - who wasn't scared out of their mind at Hamilton's awesome performance.
There's only one movie villain that still creeps me out, some 40+ years later; Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.

If Ann Savage had been cast as the Wicked Witch, well..how should I put this delicately,
the film's title would be changed to The Witch of Oz, and fondly recalled as the greatest chicken choke flick ever....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Darth Vader destroying a planet to test the Death Star.
Technically, it was Governor Tarkin (Peter Cushing) who came up with the idea of and carried through on destroying Alderaan.

In fact, I would argue that Vader seemed to mildly disagree with it at first.

Oh, I forgot! Michael Corleone, aren't he?

Brainwashed by military and war, more and more cold as ice, murdering step by step. Psychopathic and alone in the end.

Among the great movie characters.

Godfather II is in most ways a better movie than the first one. The original is more lush, but the story in II is more credible, and the characters — especially Michael and Fredo — are more developed.

Just love the scene in Michael’s office at the Tahoe compound when Senator Geary really steps in the doo-doo.

Last edited:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peter Lorre has been an outstanding actor for imho.
In a motion picture a pretty bad guy would be Ralph Fiennes as Amon Göth in Schindler‘s list in my opinion.
In kind of a documentary movie it is certainly Otto Ohlendorf testifying during the Nuremberg Tribunal and Adolf Eichman during his trial in Israel.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Technically, it was Governor Tarkin (Peter Cushing) who came up with the idea of and carried through on destroying Alderaan.

In fact, I would argue that Vader seemed to mildly disagree with it at first.

Coming up with the idea.

Pulling the trigger.

25 words or less - who is more evil.

Twenty five words.

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
Although it is a TV show, the meanest, nastiest guy I ever watched was Jeffery Dean Morgan in The Walking Dead as the character Negan. I've seen Jeffery in several movies playing similar bad-ass characters.

0645B5AB-9CAA-421D-9A26-9B5E6966E3FA.jpeg

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
When I have been among friends at an earlier age we asked ouselves what was the scariest move we ever viewed. I always said it was "The Wizard of Oz" with specific reference to Margaret Hamiliton's characterization of the Wicked Witch of the West. I agree with Fading Fast that part of the terror was that I first viewed the movie when I was 4 or 5 and it scared me to death. I also support the inclusion of John Huston as Noah Cross in "Chinatown" and Lee Van Cleef in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". I will also add Raymond Burr as Lars Thorwald in "Rear Window".

Harp

I'll Lock Up
When I have been among friends at an earlier age we asked ouselves what was the scariest move we ever viewed. I always said it was "The Wizard of Oz" with specific reference to Margaret Hamiliton's characterization of the Wicked Witch of the West. I agree with Fading Fast that part of the terror was that I first viewed the movie when I was 4 or 5 and it scared me to death..

Margaret Hamilton flew her broomstick twelve minutes on screen to its absolute pinnacle.
Her castle garrison ensemble added lustre as did the munchkins et al to wonderous, truly earned classic status.

Edward

Bartender
Darth Vader destroying a planet to test the Death Star.

In all truth, I can no longer really take him seriously as a villain, after those diabolical prequels. Especially the first, arguably the worst because of the monumental stupidity of having the kid even enter, let alone win, that pod race thing.

Robert Englund's 'Freddy Krueger' ..............I know he was bad but I was always rootin' for him.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Robert Mitchum ( Harry Powell) in 'The Night Of The Hunter'

Yes, Mitchum was superb. Also an influence - I suspect - on Robert Helpmann as the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. That scene where ne comes into the house and intones "Chilllldren..."

Although it is a TV show, the meanest, nastiest guy I ever watched was Jeffery Dean Morgan in The Walking Dead as the character Negan. I've seen Jeffery in several movies playing similar bad-ass characters.

View attachment 348467

Excellent casting. Really brought Negan to life as he appeared on the page; especially in the flashbacks which gave Negan's back story. These were perfectly timed in being given after his fall. I have not yet seen the final series, but I have high hopes for Negan's continued development therein.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
In all truth, I can no longer really take him seriously as a villain, after those diabolical prequels. Especially the first, arguably the worst because of the monumental stupidity of having the kid even enter, let alone win, that pod race thing.
Incidentally, Vader under Disney has been the most terrifying we've ever seen him.

Also, perhaps one of the most emotional scenes in Star Wars.

Edward

Bartender
Incidentally, Vader under Disney has been the most terrifying we've ever seen him.

Also, perhaps one of the most emotional scenes in Star Wars.

Can't see the third one - though I assume it's not the 'putting him in the armour' sequence from the third prequel.... I assume with that scene they were going for suffering; all I got was "he'd be good in an ad for constipation relief medication", tbh. (Not that I blame the actors - I've seen all too first hand what bad editing can do to a screen appearance.)

Rogue One is great, though - for my money, easily the best film of the entire franchise. Both Lucas and Mouse eras in play.

PatinaPen

New in Town
Hans Landa the jew hunting nazi in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS.

Mona Demark (Lena Olin) in ROMEO IS BLEEDING, a femme fatale who cuts her own arm off to appear to die in a fire. (Sorry, I know that one is a bit obscure. But I am betting a lot of Fedora/Leather Jacket lovers are film buffs).

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Hans Landa the jew hunting nazi in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS.

Mona Demark (Lena Olin) in ROMEO IS BLEEDING, a femme fatale who cuts her own arm off to appear to die in a fire. (Sorry, I know that one is a bit obscure. But I am betting a lot of Fedora/Leather Jacket lovers are film buffs).
Not to mention laughing like a maniac while running in handcuffs with one foot bare and the other in a high-heeled shoe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points