Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate bad-guys of cinema-history?

Jean Hersholt (right) as Marcus Schouler in Greed.

It's actually a bit of a tough call as none of the main characters really have any redeeming qualities: McTeague is a brutish oaf, Trina is miserly and manipulative and Marcus is two-faced and vindictive. But I would consider Marcus to be the real villain of the piece as he ultimately precipitates their downward spiral when he causes McTeague -- they were formerly best friends -- to lose his dental practice by informing on him to the authorities for practicing dentistry without a license which, in turn, causes McTeague's now increasingly abusive marriage to Trina to fail and he eventually murders her. What also makes Marcus a douchebag is at the beginning of the story he's dating Trina who is his cousin.

Yeah, I know that was fairly common back then even for non-royalty but still there is that creep factor :p

greed.jpg

Last edited:
What is it with you and Lizzie, the Wicked Witch of the West was scary. And she's the one - and her ball of flames - that set the scarecrow on fire (it wasn't like he was cooking dinner and accidentally caught himself on fire). And her frightening and ominous delivery of "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too," didn't scare you? When she is sending the flying monkeys on their way - running around the castle waving her broom stick - didn't scare you? When her head appears out of nowhere in the crystal ball didn't frighten you to near death? God bless you, you both are made of stronger stuff than I am.

I dunno. My sister was terrified of the flying monkeys. It's probably due to my rather weird, detached view of the world. Very little on TV or at the cinema has ever frightened me. One scene in The Exorcist gave me the willies, but only the first time I viewed it. I've always wanted to be truly frightened by a movie, and never have. The reason, I think, the Scarecrow scene got to me was due to his utter helplessness. Not that he was on fire, it just seemed he could do nothing about it and was vulnerable.

I remember the first time my parents pointed out the Folgers Coffee Lady was the WW. I thought that was high-larious.

I dunno. My sister was terrified of the flying monkeys. It's probably due to my rather weird, detached view of the world. Very little on TV or at the cinema has ever frightened me. One scene in The Exorcist gave me the willies, but only the first time I viewed it. I've always wanted to be truly frightened by a movie, and never have. The reason, I think, the Scarecrow scene got to me was due to his utter helplessness. Not that he was on fire, it just seemed he could do nothing about it and was vulnerable.

I remember the first time my parents pointed out the Folgers Coffee Lady was the WW. I thought that was high-larious.

I'm sure you know, but my comments about you and Lizzie are meant in light-hearted fun.

And the scariest thing for me in "The Exorcist" is the line, "God is not here today, priest." Chilling - I think about that line regularly and always feel a bit of a shiver.

Hamilton appeared on "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" in 1976 specifically to subvert this image --- she slowly and methodically demonstrated how she applied the "witch" makeup and costume, and then removed them to demonstrate that she was not, in fact, a scary witch. Mister Rogers then added a helpful song, "Witches Aren't Real -- Even If They Seem To Be."

She did a similar thing on Sesame Street, and it did not go over well with kids or their parents. I've read that Sesame Street has refused to ever show it again.

As for the character...not only are her and her flying monkeys the scariest thing in the history of cinema, she has the creepiest part of "Dark Side of the Rainbow" (where you listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album while watching The Wizard of Oz). The first scene she appears in the movie is as Miss Gulch riding her bicycle to Dorothy's house to confiscate Toto. Just as the song Time begins with all the clock chimes and alarms, they cut to her on her bicycle. Still gives me chills, even though I know it's coming.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
View attachment image.jpg View attachment image.jpg

Ben Hubbard, the brother of Regina, in Lilian Helman's "The Little Foxes". Charles Dingle absolutely nails the casual malevolence of the character. It is the one role that I love which I have never had the opportunity to play, for the entire show revolves around Regina, who must b an actress of great strength and subtlety. If Regina even slightly overplays the show is farce. If she underplays, it is pointless.

Hi****uru Tori, the Japanese businessman played by Sessue Hayakawa in "The Cheat" ranks pretty high on my scale of unadulterated cinematic evil. He makes even Fanny Ward look like a sweet, simple girl.

By the way, the character's name is H I S H I T U R U T O R I. The websites bad word filter is apparently too frightened to allow his name to be spelled correctly.

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
Jean Hersholt (right) as Marcus Schouler in Greed.

It's actually a bit of a tough call as none of the main characters really have any redeeming qualities: McTeague is a brutish oaf, Trina is miserly and manipulative and Marcus is two-faced and vindictive. But I would consider Marcus to be the real villain of the piece as he ultimately precipitates their downward spiral when he causes McTeague -- they were formerly best friends -- to lose his dental practice by informing on him to the authorities for practicing dentistry without a license which, in turn, causes McTeague's now increasingly abusive marriage to Trina to fail and he eventually murders her. What also makes Marcus a douchebag is at the beginning of the story he's dating Trina who is his cousin.

Yeah, I know that was fairly common back then even for non-royalty but still there is that creep factor :p

greed.jpg

Jean Hersholt was chameleon like in switching between vile villains and kindly benign souls. He was at his most brutish oily best menacing sweet young innocents in films like MAMBA and HELL HARBOR where he teams up with Gibson Gowland again. In BATTLE OF THE SEXES he is the opposite as a kindly respectable married middle age man seduced and abused by gold digger Phylis Haver.

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds.

YES. Also Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector and Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.

But Waltz was evil because he was so charming about it. A chilling smile, courtly manners, just before he puts a bullet in your head. It's his unique gift as an actor. The perfect guy to play a Nazi.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Three pages of replies and no one has mentioned Peter Lorre in M or Der Verlorene . Whatever part he plays he has that sinister quality. Even when he isn't doing anything in particular you don't want to turn your back on him. Must be near the top of the list of bad guys of crime.

220px-GutmanCairoMaltFalc1941Trailer.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk