Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Umbrella

Pennies from Heaven!

moustache said:
I looked over the Brigg models online
http://swaineadeney.co.uk/
and what a splendid lineup!! But at the cost of a flight to London, I will have to pass for now. JD in Vancouver,Wa

Do you have to go in to be "fitted" for their umberellas?

I have a "Totes" fold up that does well for one person and in the rainy season usually keep it in my truck at the ready. BUT for sharing it definately lacks the size.

It seems to me I remember reading a great write up in the J. Peterman catalog for an umbrella.

I'll be trying to keep the rain off of my glasses!

Sincerely,

moustache

Practically Family
Funny...

I just spent 3 hours in the wind and rain soaked malls and shoppes trying to find a decent umbrella.Everyone sells junk!!!The same umbrella brand at Sears selling for $9.99,goes for $35.99 at Macy's.And Nordstroms.SAME umbrella!!And they were all plastic,off-shore garbage.
The only place with a good selection in the Portland area(so far) has been John Helmer.But i still don't want to fork over $200+ for an umbrella.

So the search continues.

JD in the rainy pacific nw.

Connie

New in Town
Here are a couple suggestions for reasonably priced umbrellas that are decently constructed:

Raindrops is located in Canada and they have a nice Atlas Doormans umbrellas. It's a 62" arc and a good size for sharing. I bought one a couple years ago in navy and it's held up very well. Here's a link.

http://www.raindropsto.com/product/Adult_Umbrellas/Other_Full_Length/Atlas_Doormans_Umbrella.html

Uncle Sam's Umbrellas has been mentioned before I think. They sell Gustbuster Umbrellas which makes a very nice Doorman's Umbrella with a curved wood handle and this one does not have the Gustbuster logos plastered on the canopy so it's very elegant looking. It also has the double canopy so it will hold up to the winds. It's available in 2 sizes. I have one and I love it.

Here's a link
http://www.unclesamsumbrella.com/doorman.html

Hope this helps. Would love to hear when you find something that you like. I have a collection of umbrellas so I'm always looking for a new place to shop for umbrellas. lol

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
All I need is another distraction...

...but this thread has me looking on eBay for antique umbrellas. Surprisingly, they're not a hot commodity.

As to reasonably priced umbrellas, I have these two:

A Met Museum design store "blue sky" umbrella. I like how its secret is hidden when closed. It's solidly constructed and withstood a full year's worth of hard use in New York.

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=11771&engine=bizrate

The second is a stick umbrella from Muji, the Japanese design store that boasts no branding on its products. Mine is a bit different, a bit short for my size, but still well made. Well worth the $25 US I spent for it.

http://www.mujionline.co.uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?Sec=6&Sub=30&PID=330

Travis

Suspended
mysterygal said:
Another Vancouver/Portland lounger!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap This calls for a small get together! I'll have to get MK on this;)

I'm from Portland as well, so I know about wet weather.

I had a larger walking stick-esque umbrella that wasn't too expensive that I loved, but when I broke my foot I took to using it as a walking stick and it ended up breaking. I than invested in a nice straight walking stick but have yet to find a decent looking umbrella to replace my old one that is priced in a reasonable range.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Nice vintage umbrellas do turn up on ebay. As a resident in the rainiest part of Britain, I've been collecting 30s umbrellas for a while now. Trouble for women is that you need them to go with your outfit. You men have it easy!

On a practical note, one real problem with vintage umbrellas can be *fading*. Particularly rayon umbrellas, and some colours more than others -- but make sure you check that it hasn't developed pale stripes from being stored furled (is that a word?) and exposed to light.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been looking at this one. I assume it sheds water. ;)

http://www.real-self-defense.com/umbrella1.html

umbrella_stand.jpg

pgtips

New in Town
Hi all, i'm new but have been reading the site for a while as an unregistered user.

i have recently bought a Fox Umbrella direct from www.foxumbrellas.com, living in London i spent a lot of time looking at all the umbrellas, i held most from Swaine Adeney Brigg, James Smith to the Fox.

All i can say is the workmanship in the Fox Umbrellas was better than the others (although the others we also very nice). Ordering online was easy and i saved money over getting it from a highstreet shop.

the Umbrella i got was the GS7TC (http://www.foxumbrellas.com/gents_stick_umbrellas.htm) it really is stunning. Did you know they also made the umbrellas for "The Avengers" (John Steed) they also made the umbrellas for the Jackie Chan film Around The World In 80 Days.

Anyway i'm very happy :D

now to find a good suit!!!

Paul

Topper

Vendor
Chaps,

I personally use a Brigg, and understand the cost - though will last for life, and are so sturdy can be used as walking stick when old aged.

As an intermediate brand I recommend Classic Canes.

Should you be looking for Umbrealla Seats, or "Shooting Sticks" as they are called in England and can supply them as well as traditional "tippling sticks" - that a walking stick with i hidden vial to put your alcohol in.

Please understand that an Umbrella is of vital importance for a Gentleman - though its primary use is often mis understood - It should always be furled - on the first sight of rain, when in the City, one takes one umbrella in hand, still furled, and points it up an an angle of around 60degrees and belows in an authoritave voice "Cabbie!" :D

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Topper said:
Chaps,

I personally use a Brigg, and understand the cost - though will last for life, and are so sturdy can be used as walking stick when old aged.

As an intermediate brand I recommend Classic Canes.

Should you be looking for Umbrealla Seats, or "Shooting Sticks" as they are called in England and can supply them as well as traditional "tippling sticks" - that a walking stick with i hidden vial to put your alcohol in.

Please understand that an Umbrella is of vital importance for a Gentleman - though its primary use is often mis understood - It should always be furled - on the first sight of rain, when in the City, one takes one umbrella in hand, still furled, and points it up an an angle of around 60degrees and belows in an authoritave voice "Cabbie!" :D

Topper,

Should one carry an umbrella when it's cloudless and no rain is forecast?

Topper

Vendor
An umbrella is not just for rain, but for being an umbrella - especially useful for hailing cabs! Shows one is always prepared - remember when centries ago there were no weather forcasts! :eek: and England is very rainy so would not leave home without one.

I love a classic seen in he film "A Bridge too Far", the Airbourne division at Arnhem, and a Officer questioned why he already carried his umbrella - the film has the character saying that he carried it as he had trouble remember ing the password :rolleyes: and as an officer and he would not get challenged as being a Jerry in disguise if he had his umbrella, as only a true officer and gentleman would have one .. ;)

Actuallly the umbrella story is based on partial fact - maybe not the reason, but british officer did take one into battle, leading charge on the bridge with it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/11/a8256611.shtml

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Nice!....Always have wanted to get a Brigg or Fox "stick" umbrella, but, at least at present, neither is within my budgetary range.

There is always hope for the future though....LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot