Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

rue

i understand someone in a very cold climate, or isolated from the world. they need fur and meat. but i have other options that don't involve the death of animals, so i've made my choice.

Not that I'm justifying it, but it does get to be 10 degrees below 0 here in the winter. I totally respect your decision no matter what though :)

Foofoogal

Banned
Vintage fur is fine. I just rescued a collar off of a coat as the coat had moth holes.
To me some animal gave his life for it. The least one can do now is use the things.

Foofoogal

Banned
In Seattle, a fur protestor accosted me at the opera. I pointed out that he was wearing a down jacket- did he think that someone, somewhere was knitting sweaters for those geese? They are deader than doorknobs. His parting shot, no doubt aimed to hurt my vanity :
"Lady, that fur makes you look fat!"
Me:" Kid, I am fat!"
Priceless..

Puzzicato

One Too Many
In Seattle, a fur protestor accosted me at the opera. I pointed out that he was wearing a down jacket- did he think that someone, somewhere was knitting sweaters for those geese? They are deader than doorknobs.

I had a similar conversation with a friend who thought that someone was combing out squirrel tails for squirrel-fur makeup brushes.

Foofoogal

Banned
IMG_2333.jpg
I had a similar conversation with a friend who thought that someone was combing out squirrel tails for squirrel-fur makeup brushes.
you people are killing me. Little tiny combs to make squirrel brushes. This is way too hilarious...Thanks for making my day.
I used to and still do have tons of squirrels in my yard. I should start a cottage side business. Where is my tiny comb?

Last edited:

Jools

New in Town
Rue- take a look at some old movies where the women are wearing furs; those 1940s shoulder pads were huge as well. I have a pretty 1980s mink jacket with big shoulder pads, I wear with vintage suits. I also have a vintage 1930s long mink- the shoulders are gigantic!
I love my white mink muff, but I do admit that it's not entirely practical; I always feel like a Christmas caroler when I get it out.

rue

Rue- take a look at some old movies where the women are wearing furs; those 1940s shoulder pads were huge as well. I have a pretty 1980s mink jacket with big shoulder pads, I wear with vintage suits. I also have a vintage 1930s long mink- the shoulders are gigantic!
I love my white mink muff, but I do admit that it's not entirely practical; I always feel like a Christmas caroler when I get it out.

Oh I know they (and I'm sure you) look lovely, but when I wear them I look like a tick... you know.... small head, big body lol

I love mink muffs! I wish I had one myself. hmmmmm..... maybe I should use part of the furs for that :)

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
I prefer vintage furs-- my mother has an amazing fox stole that belonged to my great-gran which I have coveted for years-- but I have purchased new furs from friends who trap and trade for a living. Their area has very strict licensing requirements for who may become a trapper and how the animals must be dealt with, and they are alloted only a certain number of furs of a certain limited number of types per season.

I know it's not popular, but I grew up on a subsistence farm so it's as much a part of normal life to me as raising meat animals.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
While I would never buy my own fur I was given one that my mother got when she became engaged (nearly 30 years ago!). It's a French Rabbit coat and VERY warm to wear on cold winters nights when heading out. If people want to go out there and buy furs that their business, I wouldn't want them forcing their philosophies on me, just as they wouldn't want mine forced on them.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Nutria

Interesting that this thread popped up. I read this link a while back regarding using nutria fur, and thought it was a bit of a silly article since all nutria fur clothing I've ever seen are still trimmed with other things like mink and fox.

But this weekend, I met a lady at a wedding wearing an all nutria coat. It does get pretty cold here in New Orleans, so it was warranted. And when I asked her about it, she said she lives in an area where people hunt it to lessen the population and make clothing out of the pelts and give the meat to Audobon Zoo to feed the gators.

Jools

New in Town
Ok, I admit it. I love fur. I have a black mink, brown mink, long brown mink, mink and fox, white mink, persian lamb+ mink, karakul+ sable, stone-marten, (coats)a beaver lined raincoat, a whole bunch of fur collars, mainly mink, a white mink muff, and a sable hat that is as light as a dandelion head. I also have quite a few vintage coats with fur collars. I've actuallly sold a beaver coat and a honey-blonde mink because they were too small. I grew up in Alaska; trust me, without a fur coat, you're going to be mighty miserable, even with a heavy down coat.

When anyone asks if they are real, I just say "No."
Now, I just wish it would snow.

rue

Ok, I admit it. I love fur. I have a black mink, brown mink, long brown mink, mink and fox, white mink, persian lamb+ mink, karakul+ sable, stone-marten, (coats)a beaver lined raincoat, a whole bunch of fur collars, mainly mink, a white mink muff, and a sable hat that is as light as a dandelion head. I also have quite a few vintage coats with fur collars. I've actuallly sold a beaver coat and a honey-blonde mink because they were too small. I grew up in Alaska; trust me, without a fur coat, you're going to be mighty miserable, even with a heavy down coat.

When anyone asks if they are real, I just say "No."
Now, I just wish it would snow.

lol lol lol lol

Oh and I know what you mean about the cold.... skiing in Utah that parka wasn't doing anything, but when I put on a fur afterwards it was then that I was actually finally warm :D

Jools

New in Town
According to what Etsy considers "Vintage", all of my furs fall into that category.

Rue- you might consider selling them on Etsy or Ebay, if they are in good condition.

People are always selling old furs for "crafts", meaning that they aren't in good enough shape to wear, but you can always make them into muffs, stoles, or pillows. One of my friends is a milliner, and she makes them into hats!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My girlfriend wouldn't buy it- she doesn't like fur, but we all got one heck of a kick out of the monogramming inside a vintage fur coat we found at the value village.

73164_456863590908_630485908_5316305_1425997_n.jpg

74003_456864340908_630485908_5316308_6977427_n.jpg

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Like many of you have already said, I have no qualms with vintage fur. It's certainly better for the environment and the local economy to get a fur coat at your local antiques or vintage store than to buy a new synthetic coat that's been shipped from a manufacturer miles and miles away!

... though for my everyday winter coats I like 60s faux fur coats with the big gaudy jewel buttons; they're a little lighter, more durable, and almost as warm in my opinion.

Jools: I wear (carry?) my antique fur muff with pride; it's more fun than mittens and so cozy, plus I kinda enjoy looking like I just walked out of a Victorian Christmas card lol. I also have a 50s or 60s white rabbit fur capelet that matches the muff. It's slightly ridiculous but I loveeee white fur.

Last edited:

Jools

New in Town
When i wear the white mink muff with the matching coat AND the vintate black velvet headband with white mink pom-poms, I look like Sonja Henje. All I need to complete the look is a skater skirt and white ice skates. I wish I had more occasion to use it- but, as it cannot be used while driving a car, and if it's cold enough out to use it the streets are typically so icey that you'd want to have your hands free to stop a fall.....well, where's that horse-drawn carriage when you want one?

I did recently buy a black velvet bathrobe at a consignment store, trimmed in black fox fur. A. I'm sure it was there because it would be impossible to wash and B. I feel a litttle like Henry VIII when I wear it. I don't care, it is incredibly girly. And I do have a pair of bedroom mules (can hardly call them slippers, with a heel!) with a maribou pom-pom on the toe....very 1950s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points