Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
As for me, the only vintage fur I have is my cat. She'll be 10 next month.

Yes, yes, yessssssss!

emoticon1.gif

Cherry_Bombshell

New in Town

Snuggling Sphynx 003 by susanmcs, on Flickr

AAWww! Babies! XD

I personaly think (or hope really) that if people really knew where their animal products were coming from and how they were farmed, they would rethink their dependancy on such items.

There is no fundamental difference between man and the higher animals in their mental faculties.… The lower animals, like man, manifestly feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery.
—Charles Darwin, naturalist and author (1809–1882)

As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together.
—Isaac Bashevis Singer, writer and Nobel laureate (1902–1991)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I would never buy real fur. However, I do have about 5 or 6 vintage mink stoles. I also love a good leather handbag and shoes. I do agree that an animal killed 50 years ago suffered just as much as an animal killed 50 days ago. I guess I am a hypocrite because I love my stoles and can admit that it is an endorsement for the fur industry each time I wear them (which isn't much).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ordinary leather is, generally speaking, a byproduct of the meatpacking industry. I eat beef and pork unapologetically, and my belief is that if an animal is going to be raised and slaughtered for human benefit, it's our obligation to the sacrifice of that creature to not waste any of it.

The use of animal byproducts is far more widespread than most people realize. The chair you're sitting in might be held together by glue boiled down from hides. The gelatin capsules containing your vitamin supplements might have been rendered from cattle hooves. The hairs in your makeup brushes might have been extracted from a squirrel's tail. The bristles in your hairbrush might have once adorned the back of a badger. The essence of your favorite perfume might have been squeezed from the glands of a civet. The lanoilin in your soap came from the wool of a sheep. The collagen in your face cream might have been rendered down from chickens.

It's a laudable goal to want to eliminate cruelty from one's life, but if one insists on banishing all animal-based products, it's a lot more difficult than you might realize.

Last edited:

Cherry_Bombshell

New in Town
Oh, ok. So fur = bad because the animal was killed purely for vanity's sake and the rest was wasted? Valid point. But I still like my stuff blood shed free.

"The use of animal byproducts is far more widespread than most people realize. The chair you're sitting in might be held together by glue boiled down from hides. The gelatin capsules containing your vitamin supplements might have been rendered from cattle hooves. The hairs in your makeup brushes might have been extracted from a squirrel's tail. The bristles in your hairbrush might have once adorned the back of a badger. The essence of your favorite perfume might have been squeezed from the glands of a civet. The lanoilin in your soap came from the wool of a sheep. The collagen in your face cream might have been rendered down from chickens.

It's a laudable goal to want to eliminate cruelty from one's life, but if one insists on banishing all animal-based products, it's a lot more difficult than you might realize. "

Believe me. I am very well aware of the amount of animal products are in our everyday products. However, there are MANY easily availible alternatives everywhere. And its not difficult at all to find cruelty free products. Just check a few labels (and who doesn't do this already). Those who choose this path know very well that complete eliminiation is impossible. What is important is to do your best! If that is your lifestyle choice.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I have a quick question ladies - I saw this cardi on Etsy and I have been hoping to find one with a faux fur collar for ages - the seller doesn't know if it's real or not as the label doesn't make it clear - I assume from the cut and style that the fur is real - can anyone confirm by sight alone please:

Cardigan-2.jpg

Marilyn Monroe used to wear something similar to this and I would LOVE one - once the fur isn't real though!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
There are many advantages to a vintage fur. It's recycled, and most of them have been dead a lot longer than my lunch. They're very warm in the warehouse I work in- I know, furs and warehouse don't usually go together. Mine is a very special case. If you have the kind that have the heads and tails attached, your ability to freak out some coworkers is guaranteed. Just hang the head so it stares at them over the cubicle wall. They may talk about you, but they won't try and outdo you during a joke war.

It makes older ladies happy when they seeing you having lunch in your fur, hat, and gloves.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I took my fox fur into work yesterday to masquerade as a cat in a photo of a project one of the boys had made (long story). I have to say that it universally freaked them all out. They were baffled by the whole concept.

It didn't look much like a cat in the photos either!

tuppence

Practically Family
I just got my grandmothers fur stole, It originally came from Myers fur department, because her brother-in-law worked there. My mother and Auntie were both surprised because they could remember it when it had a head, but she must of had it re-styled later on.

I'm not sure I'll wear it though.

Donna/Dante

New in Town
I was recently gifted with two vintage mink furs: a shoulder wrap/stole, and a four-skin scarf (heads & tails included, these little guys need names!). They're likely from the Forties or Fifties, and are in fantastic shape. I'm very pleased to have them and intend to wear them when the weather turns cooler again in several months (probably not til November!).

-d

RodeoRose

A-List Customer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points