Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Does anyone know if it's possible to clean, or at least freshen up fur at home? I have just bought a dress and matching coat in purple (faux ? not sure)shantung silk, and the coat has a mink collar that looks a little grubby.
I wondered if i sprinkled talc or something similar into the nap and then gently brushed it, if it would help. Any advice?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's sounds like a good start with the talc, i have used a steamer on my furs and given them a good brush which has sorted mine out although luckily they weren't too grubby. I have heard you can use dry cleaning fluid mixed with some sawdust and then apply to the fur. The sawdust soaks up the dirt and the residual fluid, then steam and air dry. But that sounds like it could be fraught with danger. Although apparently that's not far removed from what a professional cleaner would do anyway.

The suit sounds delicious by the way, purple silk and a mink collar, divine!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
The advice I've gotten from several sources who know is to do as follows: use corn meal (not starch - too fine), and for especially old or soiled (i.e. body oils) furs warm the corn meal (you can do this in a pan on the stove or in the microwave, but do not add any liquid), LIBERALLY sprinke on your furs, and fluff and smoosh around a bit to really work it through, then carefully roll it fur side in, remove to an outdoor area, and shake the dickens out of it. Those same several sources have told me NEVER to brush a fur, as it puts strain on both the hairs and the pelts, which are fragile by nature of not being alive anymore. Heavily soiled furs may require more than one treatment, but a professional furrier once told me that this is essentially identical to his process, only he pays more for his supplies. He also told me not to be afraid to use loads of corn meal... won't hurt the fur any, won't hurt you any, and works better than not enough. Best of luck to you! :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's very interesting about the corn meal, i shall remember that for future reference thanks for that. As i said i thought the sawdust and cleaning fluid sounded a bit treacherous, although that came from someone who is in the know so to speak, but the cornmeal sounds a more sensible option. I didn't know you shouldn't brush furs. But i have a couple of thirties silver fox stoles which were moulting dreadfully so i brushed 'em with a soft brush to remove the excess hairs and steamed them and they've been great ever since. I have been lucky enough to find a friend who has cold storage so mine are away for the duration, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Marla

A-List Customer
I wear vintage fur, but I draw the line at this:

1025.jpg

(photographer: Vivian Maier)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice on cleaning the collar. I think I will try the talc first (only because I have that in!) and then the corn meal if I have no luck.

BTW a lot of my furs have heads, tails and paws! Although I only wear them to events, I have to say the little beady eyes (and lil' paws) have never bothered me because, the way I see it it's dead and to worry about weather it still *looks* like the animal seems pointless. A bit like liking your meat all wrapped up in clingfilm at the supermarket because you don't like to think of it as once being alive.

I would never buy a modern fur, or anything modern with fur trim. All of my furry bits and peices are at least 50 years old.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I would never buy a modern fur, or anything modern with fur trim. All of my furry bits and peices are at least 50 years old.

If fur is to be worn I prefer it to be vintage too - and there has to be some kind of cut off for it - like you if it's pre-1960's I'm fine with that - I won't wear it myself - but I have to say that I hate the idea of a perfectly good coat going to waste because of fur collar or whatever.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes i agree, i don't condone modern fur at all. All my pieces are vintage, 30's - 50's. While i'm not a fan of the heads and feet on those forties tippets, i do wear one sometimes if i go to an event like Miss WD. Actually tell a lie i did put one on for a bit yesterday at work, as it is flippin' cold in the shop and Mr Fox looked like he could do with a cuddle!

Like Miss G, i can't abide the thought of all this vintage fur going into landfill or what have you. I feel like i am doing the right thing by wearing and cherishing the vintage fur i have acquired. I know it's a sensitive subject for alot of people so i won't rattle on too much.

However, this winter working in a shop with a stone floor and no heating, i was grateful for my furs as they kept me alot warmer than any non fur items i have in my wardrobe and i didn't feel at all guilty going out swathed from head to toe, as i felt i was wearing the appropriate vintage attire for the weather conditions. Not one customer said a word either which was unusual!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
There's a story I was once told about the first Europeans to explore the Yukon and Alaska. They arrived wearing the woolens they were used to, and their native guides thought they were nuts. Soon, they learned that woolens become easily waterlogged, and are then quite heavy. They switched to the furs their guides were using and were amazed at how much lighter and warmer they were, and never went back. Kind of random, but I love a fur jacket (vintage, of course) on a chilly day :)

Marla

A-List Customer
I personally do not like wearing fur stoles with the head and feet still attached. Subconsciously, I must still find wearing fur disturbing, even vintage fur. So, I need that little bit of self-deception to be able to stomach it. However, I completely agree with the argument that that we shouldn't discard old coats (or accessories) just because they have fur attached. I have several. And having lived in arctic regions I can testify to the fact that sometimes it's just necessary to wear fur for warmth.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
There is always alot of talk about fur these days, so i was wondering what the other ladies on here think of it?
I personally think that if it is vintage then it is alright to wear, as it was killed over 60 years ago for someone to wear it, so it shouldn't go to waste.

Using vintage fur this way doesn't go to waste.

You can donate vintage fur to the Humane Society, who then repurpose the pieces to create beds, warm nests or surrogate mothers to orphaned and injured wildlife rescued and placed for recovery at wildlife rehabilitators. When the animals are strong enough, they are re-introduced back into the wild.

rabbits-sleeping-in-recycled-fur-humane-society-e1294935847196.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alright everybody.
Lets cut the talk about whether fur is wrong/right good or bad. No one is changing anyone's opinions by stating them in this thread. Lets keep the talk to Vintage Fur, please.

Thanks,
LD

Louise Anne

Suspended
I agree there are two different points of view when it comes to vintage fur and feeling can be run high on either side, Please respect each other view point of view and please do not make this thread into one of those debates with the bar tender having to step in and sort it put ( I do not want to give them more work).

I just wanted a place where ladies could ask question to others about real vintage fur, from storing, cleaning to buying and wearing fur. I hope other ladies will join in.

So where to start .. Well I will kick off with a photo of my vintage 1950 Mink Coat worn in a modern context

fur.jpg

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
I am having trouble trying to work out what length of dress/ skirt it would have been originally worn with, even on a average lady it would have been above the knee.
The question then comes to the front as to if it was realy 1950 or 60's
It looks odd in my view with a long skirt ankel length.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
a20791b131057b0ab59ce4_s.JPG

I have a thirties artic fox collar like this, although mine is so beautiful this photo doesn't really do it justice.

The coat we have at work is the same length too. We put it at late fifties, it looks great with a midi skirt, or a circle skirt as i did try it on with both. I think it would also work well with a long, evening gown too myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav