Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

Caledonia

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
See the hat in my pic... it's fur felt... they have to kill the animal to make them. I wear them for the look, though could go with a cotton boonie hat. I prefer the fur.

Do they kill the animal only for the hat? And surely you could make yourself a nice little hat from some kind of felt? You look like a man who knows how to get things done. (adapted film quote :D - ooh just thought of a new thread!)

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:
Good point Moxiegirl, I know people who do that. Please all read that I amend my last statement to include Moxiegirl's point. I also have to add that my dogs kill rabbits, and I've slaughtered rabbits myself (for welfare sake) so I could see myself using rabbit fur on that basis, but I still wouldn't go public with it. I also understand everybody's views on the fact that vintage fur is well dead and shouldn't go to waste, but I still think there is an advertisement thing going on.

Yes, they have to kill the beavers for their fur to make hats. The esteemed headgear that this forum is named after is best when made from beaver fur. And they have big teeth, shaving is not an option. [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is cruelty in that

colleency said:
Oh my gosh! They do kill the silkworm for silk!

I haven't found anything to say that sheep are anything but shorn for wool. Is there cruelty in that?

I guess I rather do take a stand, not on fur, but I do wear leather and silk, and I eat meat.

Because the animals are often bread/ over bread to have baggier skin, and there fore more wool. This extra skin can cause great problems and discomfort for all of the extra wool.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HA Im in the same boat.

Caledonia said:
And don't forget that dog and cat fur is also being sold, although you won't know it. Pets are stolen and killed into the fur industry. But that apart - on no account would I wear fur vintage or otherwise. I haven't got a leg to stand on as I wear leather, wool, and worse silk, and claim to be a vegetarian. But nonetheless if you wear it you advertise it, and when people see it they thinks it's ok, and may be encouraged to wear it. Leather, wool etc is the by product of our omniverous tendencies. Fur is no longer a by product of our need to survive. It is a luxury market for human pleasure, like hunting for sport. No. No fur, no way, no how. Google some pictures of farmed or wild trapped animals. You'll find them, and while some of them are vintage others are not. The horror of them doesn't change over the years. Stepping off the soap box now.

lol I am a vegirtarian, but I love wool and I wear silk. I am trying to weed the mout, but its hard. :eusa_doh:

As far as fur, my Granny has some, and some minks that had all their parts. Id make puppets out of them when I was a kid and run them around the house. Yes, I was a geek :)

As far as wearing fur, or even fake fur, no no no no no. I would just feel too uncomfortable doing so in the least. Same reason for no leather. Im enought of a hypocrite, gotta cut it down somehow.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree with you.

mysterygal said:
Animals are here for our consumption...I do not believe in animal cruelty however.
haven't heard about fur coat makers using cats and dogs though...It seems it just wouldn't look the same [huh]

But it is us, who have lost the respect we should have for these animals that has made their use in today's world unethical in my eyes. Thats what I hate.

LD

Naama

Practically Family
I think It's quite cruel to say animals are here for consumption............... I mean, don't they have no souls as well? Aren't they worth living? Is this world just for us humans to use and abuse as we wish to?
I would never wear fur, not even vintage fur because I think it's quite disgusting when I think about the fact that this is actually a dead body (or well, part of it).

Naama

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although I am a vegetarian, I wear leather, which I feel kinda badly about but my feet don't like vegan shoes! I also wear wool and silk, and don't feel bad about it for even one second. I will wear vintage coats with a fur collar, but I won't buy new fur.

That is probably morally dubious, but for now it works for me.[huh]

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't have a problem with vintage fur. I actually love it- makes a whole outfit have that movie star quality. But as for modern, no thanks. If the animal was killed 60 years ago for the fur it's not as bad to me- he has paid his price for fashion so we might as well make his sacrifice go on as long as possible. I don't get why people don't push vintage instead of modern furs- there is so much left out there from the 50's that you'd think that modern fur salons would go out of business.

And I was one of the kids playing with the minks as well, Lady Day. My cousin had vintage minks and we'd make them talk.

maisie

Practically Family
Wow, there are so many different opinions!
I have a couple of furs that have there faces and glass eyes and the little claws, which kinda freaks me out a little, but then thats what the wore in the 40's so it just finishes an outfit off, and as other people have said they have been dead for over 60 years.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a fan of fur coats. I just don't care for the way they look.

That being said, I do own a couple of vintage coats with fur collars, and I love them. I wouldn't buy a vintage fur coat, but that's because I don't care for the appearance. New fur - no way. I hate animal cruelty, but I am a carnivore and I have no illusions about where my steak comes from. How's that for a paradox? lol

If you must wear fur, I say wear vintage.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I really don't think it's cruel to say that animals are for our consumption. Even though my diet is mostly vegetarian..I do not feel guilty eating meat once in awhile. I really don't want to come across as an animal hater...I love animals and have more than my share around my house (thanks to my daughters :p )

P

Paul

vintage fur is ok with me

Personally I am strongly against farming animals just for fur today and being used to make fur coats etc.As it already been said what about vintage fur! That's fine in my view ,the animal die when altitudes were different and we cannot put the clock back, and just sending it to the tip is so much of a waist.
I do wonder how a lady would today wear a vintage fur in public, this could attract a lot of attention without some fashion knowledge they might not realize that it was vintage fur and had not been made a few months ago.
If any one of you do wear vintage fur I would like to know how you do go on with it and the attitude of others seeing you wearing it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The vintage fur coat I bought will probably only be worn on fedora lounge events, since around here, I know wearing fur is very much frowned upon.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I only wear vintage fur to events as well. I'd be afraid of getting something thrown at me if I were to wear it out and about.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a vintage green coat with a mink collar I bought at a thrift store (for $15 because it had no buttons). I wear it in the winter on snowy dress-up days - fur is incredibly effective at keeping out the cold and wind. So is down, which I wear when skiing or when it's in the negative degrees, which I believe also entails killing a goose.

P

Paul

Show case your fur here

Whilst writing the post I did think these days it would be impossible to wear a fur ( vintage events exempt) a great shame because is something just so special with a lady and her real fur. (vintage fur)
This maybe the place to show case your furs to every one and not one can through any thing.Just compliment you...:eusa_clap

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What I would be delighted to see, would be a demand for responsible fur equivalent to free-range organic chicken. A free-range organic rabbit, killed in an efficient and humane way, doesn't strike me as any great moral crime.

I eat meat. I wear leather.

I like fur. I would wear it had I the budget, vintage or new. But only for small, non-endangered animals with fast reproduction rates, i.e. chinchilla, rabbit, or mink.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fur is very warm. From prehistory up to the end of the Golden Era, it was the warmest thing you could put on your back. Like everyone else here, I don't blame my ancestors for having worn fur. For most folks today, however, anything made of fur is superfluous. Wear vintage, or don't wear any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana