Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The vinyl player thread!

Oh man, everytime I listen to the old vinyls of Vangelis, The Kinks, Blues Rock over and over, on other peopIe's vinyl player, I get in the mood to get a new vinyl-player myself again, but that mood doesn't last very long.

It's not the thing, that the vinyl has to be often turned around and undusted. But in the end, I would listen to only my favorite ten vinyls and getting a new player for just that is more or less senseless to me.
AND the next problem: Youtube! :D

Man, I tell you, when I got my classic 2.0 stereo computer speakers from Creative plugged in the notebook, the sound of youtube-videos is kind of excellent, as long as you're above a specific volume. Not much far from vinyl on first class speakers, for my taste!

Of course, my parents got their cheap vinyl player (same I got some years ago) on my grandma's former and expensive 1996's Denon stereo equipment with first class speakers, I adjusted to my taste. ;) And this sound is top-notch!

You, know the money is actually not the real problem. If I wanted, I could easily get a new stereo-equipment with AUX and PHONO. They are still available in the stores, actually more than years ago! And vinyl player are of course available, too.

But getting all that, just for some dozens of vinyl?

Could you convince me?? :D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Here's my vinyl player. Convinced?
422746823.JPG

I just hooked a turntable back up after going several years without (my daughter stole my functional turntable and I had not taken the time to mount and align a cartridge on my other one). I'm enjoying playing vinyl that I had not heard in years as I don't have that much duplication in the form of CDs or MP3s. Once I get through the 500 or so albums I'm not sure how often it will be in rotation (pun intended) as popping five CDs into that player is easier. I'll probably use it to torture/educate my kid's when they visit.

5f8eb6de767e254922e6f7db2a5f901b.jpg

Edward

Bartender
If I just want music in the background or when I'm doing someting else, CDs are fine. If I want to it down and listen, the vinyl is best - including the ritual of it all. Buying a quality turntable is a good excuse to buy more vinyl. ;)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I just hooked a turntable back up after going several years without (my daughter stole my functional turntable and I had not taken the time to mount and align a cartridge on my other one). I'm enjoying playing vinyl that I had not heard in years as I don't have that much duplication in the form of CDs or MP3s. Once I get through the 500 or so albums I'm not sure how often it will be in rotation (pun intended) as popping five CDs into that player is easier. I'll probably use it to torture/educate my kid's when they visit.

5f8eb6de767e254922e6f7db2a5f901b.jpg
The torture Bob, will be telling the kids to get up and put #199 of 500 on, properly dusted and without fingerprints replacing #198. No press playlist button. Lol
Ahh...the good old days! Enjoy
B

The torture Bob, will be telling the kids to get up and put #199 of 500 on, properly dusted and without fingerprints replacing #198. No press playlist button. Lol
Ahh...the good old days! Enjoy
B

What was that meme? "Back in my day we had to walk across twenty feet of shag carpet to flip the record over"

I was thinking of torturing them with some of the vinyl in the stack: :rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
This is a good era to get (back) into vinyl, actually. Production is on the rise, and there has never been such a great range of quality turntables at all price ranges.

I realise recently that music is like writing. I'm open to typing on a computer for the advantages and convenience that often brings, but alldone and said there's nothing quite as satisfying as writing a note for myself on nice paper with a fountainpen. Find/replace typing / mp3s & fountain pen / vinyl LP.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was astonished the other day to see that LPs are now being sold in Wal-Mart -- all reissues of conventional baby-boomer stuff from the 60s and 70s, but LPs nonetheless. Most of the live acts that come thru here now feature LPs on their merch tables, and have for several years now, but this is the first display of records I've seen in a mainstream store since 1988.

I was astonished the other day to see that LPs are now being sold in Wal-Mart -- all reissues of conventional baby-boomer stuff from the 60s and 70s, but LPs nonetheless. Most of the live acts that come thru here now feature LPs on their merch tables, and have for several years now, but this is the first display of records I've seen in a mainstream store since 1988.

German news this year said, vinyl has overtaken CD sales in the US.

Some people say, they can't hear the difference between CD and LP.

My sensory filter is weak, weaker than normal. I can hear the difference easily. Listen to Blues Rock, electronic music etc., the difference is very clear. LP got that warm juicy sound, while CD sounds diluted.

Edward

Bartender
For my money, CD can come close if the mix is well done and its played back on quality equipment. It's certainly not, however, the "superior" sound it was when CDs were introduced, back in the days the CD version always had a "bonus track" to encourage people to buy into the new format / rebuy back-catalogue they already owned. The biggest fail with CD were how many versions used poor mixes, or played with over-compression and such. Course, they were light years on from the medium I grew up on - compact cassette. What shocks me are the hipster kids who have gotten into cassettes, which truly are an inferior sound...

Same here. My local Sainsbury's supermarket has drastically reduced its music and DVD section in the last four years, but since Christmas they've had maybe eight or ten vinyl LPs on offer at any one time. Usually a recent Bowie hits compilation, a 1990s era compilation of the least challenging Britpop stuff (Oasis and such), and a couple of full albums - Dylan's latest, Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, and such. It's tokenistic, BUT the simple fact that these are being sold in such a venue is a huge signifier of the strength of the vinyl revival. I've noticed second hand vinyl prices going up on eBay markedly in the last few years.

Definitely more new releases are coming out on vinyl now too, across all genres. A few years ago the only "new" vinyl I saw was by neo-rockabilly bands, a scene where there are still people who would rather not own an album at all than have to buy it on a modern format. Bear in mind, certainly here in the UK, there are a fair few in that scene who go to weekends purely to dance to dj'ed records - they won't listen to live acts because they aren't 'authentic' 50s bands. Vinyl is no longer limited to purists like that and the hifi-hardcore. That said, my favourite fact about it all is that for all many of these vinyl hardcore will sneer at hip hop and dance/rave music, it's those very modern genres that really kept vinyl alive prior to this recent revival.

Edward

Bartender
The Sony turntables from a couple of hundred Euros and up are pretty decent machines. Pro-Ject are also a brand I'd look at, and Elipson (the French speaker / amp brand) have released some very nice turntables at a range of prices in the last couple of years. It's worth going to a stockist if you can (in these Covid times) and trying a few. Turntables moreso than most other types of format players do get better as you spend more, but then 'better' audio can be subjective too. I have a strict rule that there is a ceiling on what I'm prepared to spend, and, if in doubt, if I can't *hear* the difference in sound, no matter how measurable, it's not worth paying for.

TMP

Familiar Face
I second the idea of looking into Pro-ject turntables. If you don't mind used, there are a lot of options. When I got back into vinyl I had a Thorens TD-150. Prices have probably risen, but it's an excellent deck. I now have a TD-165 with an SME arm although my system is in bits due to a house rewire. Also, check out Lenco - Swiss made and "sleeper" decks.

I've finally succumbed to music streaming (Tidal), but I do have a lot of blues and jazz LPs that are just unavailable else where. I also enjoy the tactile nature of vinyl - it's what I grew up with.

Like previous posters, I've noticed vinyl cropping up in Sainsbury's of all places. Back to the future indeed.

There are a number of manufacturers who produce quality turntables for a reasonable price. The aforementioned Pro-Ject is one, as is Rega, Thorens, and Music Hall. I have a U-turn, made here in the good old US of A. Even the old standards by Technics and Audio-Technica are decent. You could also consider buying used vintage. There are lots out there. Dual was a popular brand from Germany, and they must have made millions, as they are still quite common today. Of course, you can spend thousands and even tens of thousands on a turntable. But if you’re in that category, you’re probably not soliciting advice from here. For spinning a few dozen or so of your old or new favorites, a quality turntable can be had for a few hundred bucks.

On a side note...I’ve always felt the biggest differentiator is in the speakers or headphones. You can have a great turntable, but if you’re listening through crappy speakers, it will sound like crap.

Reactions: TMP

TMP

Familiar Face
On a side note...I’ve always felt the biggest differentiator is in the speakers or headphones. You can have a great turntable, but if you’re listening through crappy speakers, it will sound like crap.

Good shout on Dual, AT, etc. The 505 was Dual's workhorse if memory serves. I agree about the importance of speakers/headphones, and would only add that the front end is important. The cartridge plays a massive role.

Of course!
I'm listenting Vangelis at my parents rooms on the cheap vinyl player (same model, I had years ago!), BUT through 1996s premium Denon 2.0 speakers! Delicious!!

But I'm always turning Bass to neutral and Treble to nearly maximum. That's still my personal taste.

I'm interested! How do you set? :)

Of course!
I'm listenting Vangelis at my parents rooms on the cheap vinyl player (same model, I had years ago!), BUT through 1996s premium Denon 2.0 speakers! Delicious!!

But I'm always turning Bass to neutral and Treble to nearly maximum. That's still my personal taste.

I'm interested! How do you set? :)

I have a U-Turn Orbit turntable with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. It is what I'd call "entry level audiophile" quality. It's better than budget turntables and cartridges, but it's certainly not top of the heap or anything. The 2M Blue is a solid mid-level moving magnet cartridge. I run that through a Bellari tube phono pre-amp, then through a vintage (from around 1970) McIntosh MA6100 integrated amplifier to Paradigm 7SE MK2 speakers. Yes, the MA6100 has a phono input, but I like the warm fuzzy tube sound. My primary headphones are Grado SR325e, but also have a pair of AKG K701 that I use a lot. I have numerous other headphones for various reasons, but always one or the other of these with records.

The U-Turn, Bellari, McIntosh and Grado are all made in the USA, the Paradigm speakers in Canada, and the AKGs are authentic made in Austria, prior to their moving manufacturing to China. These things are important to me, but everyone may feel differently about that.

Most of my records are vintage and are not pristine, and I've spent more hours than I'd like cleaning them. That's OK, it's a labor of love, and you have to love to labor on your love.

abone

A-List Customer
Here is my Technics SP-10. I bought it 15 years or so ago, but it was used in a radio station somewhere in British Columbia in the 70's. I designed and had a carpenter build a double tonearm plinth out of multiple layers of baltic birch. Rosewood for the tonearms. It was a fun project.

IMG_4976.jpeg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto