Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The vinyl player thread!

Here is my Technics SP-10. I bought it 15 years or so ago, but it was used in a radio station somewhere in British Columbia in the 70's. I designed and had a carpenter build a double tonearm plinth out of multiple layers of baltic birch. Rosewood for the tonearms. It was a fun project.

View attachment 299624

Cool. I've seen double tone arms, but I've never used one. I assume one is a stereo cartridge and one is mono?

Edward

Bartender
Of course!
I'm listenting Vangelis at my parents rooms on the cheap vinyl player (same model, I had years ago!), BUT through 1996s premium Denon 2.0 speakers! Delicious!!

But I'm always turning Bass to neutral and Treble to nearly maximum. That's still my personal taste.

I'm interested! How do you set? :)

I've always tended to setting my EQs flat across the board (or, in the case of my vintage Pioneer stereo receiver, the tone knobs to the middle point) and let the sound balance as originally mixed come through. Ideally I'd prefer not to have tone controls at all if I was designing an amp, but I suppose they can be handy to tame the sound of a poorly mixed disc. Used to be handy in the old days with muffly bootlegs (i.e. unofficial live recordings of artists - NOT counterfeit copies of legitimate releases), but given most of those nowadays seem to originate with the sound crew....

(One of the best live albums I have is a double CD of a Damned show I was at where you could buy a ticket at the merchandise stand. then after the show you joined a queue and they traded it for a double-CD recording of the show you'd just seen. The Pixies pioneered this as a way of defeating bootleggers, but really it's a superb idea - who doesn't want a recording of a show they were at? I wish Dylan had been doing this is 2011, maybe then I wouldn't have had to watch the entire show through the digital screen of the guy in front of me who was more concerned with capturing a recording of the show than actually experiencing it...).

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Vinyl?
7925DC1E-4029-4A99-B59A-5F4FE5C9C708.jpeg
5570AC30-FB98-4ED0-9221-3FD04F0CEDC4.jpeg

Yesterday, I was in electronic chain store, surprisingly founding a 5 CD-compilation box of the most famous GDR "Amiga" blues/blues rock stuff, I like so much!
The original stuff of GDR parents's good old vinyls.

No "REMASTERED" marking anywhere on the box, so should be the original recordings! :)

I grabbed it and couldn't wait to get home to compare to the vinyl, I tell you!! Went to my Mum first, to test it on her Roberts 67 radio. AND I was surprised, totally surprised!
The CDs sound fantastic, and I indeed couldn't find any significant difference to the vinyls! I didn't expect this.

Whoever had the supervision of making the new CD editions, he made sure to save the full, rich sound of the vinyls. Kind of blewing me away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk