Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the watch cap

Richard

Familiar Face
there's something to be said for justa plain watch cap. my dad recently died and my mom says he used to wear a bere in nyc in the 50s and 60's, but evidnetly going through hsi things all he wore were wacth caps, he had a dozen of them, all different colors. i have one of his perched on my head right now. we found it in his jacket pocket. my mom says he was actually looking for this particular one and couldn't find it before he died.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Richard. It's great you can share this fashion with your father, it'll be a way you can always remember him. It sounds like he was a pretty special guy.

When I was in the Navy, we all had our standard issue black watch caps. They were comfortabe and super warm, but, i'm lanky and pale, and when I wore mine I tended to look like a Russian spy. But alas, if you can pull it off, by all means go for it.

Thanks for sharing!

hatflick1

Practically Family
Navy Watch Cap

Richard, I also want to extend my condolences. Family loss is most difficult. But the watch caps will be a wonderful reminder of the man and his spirit.
Many years ago, downtown Philadelphia boasted the presence of I. Goldberg, Army/Navy Store. In the fifties there were virtually barrels of genuine WWII surplus...gloves, hbt caps from the Pacific theater, brown boots, web belts and so forth.
My mother bought me a genuine USN watch cap worn by sailors and merchant marine in the north Atlantic. It was a heavy wool and a dense weave. The warmest headgear I have ever owned in my life. For years I wore it when I made pocket money shoveling snow. I wish I had saved it. It would have been a great hand-me-down for my son who attended college in Oregon.

Magus

Practically Family
scotrace said:
My condolences on your loss.

Not to be a complete dolt, but what is a watch cap?

Richard...Though your beloved father is gone...the memories are yours forever...wear the cap in good health.

Now...as to what a watch cap is...it might be called a "toboggan" cap in Ohio, or a stocking hat. In the great white north you might hear the term "tooook" for a similar cap (though those tend to have ear flaps).

M

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...of Woolly Hats

The kind of woolly hat that Cat Burglars and Longshoremen are supposed to wear-
-or what a Sailor might wear on watch.
woolwatchcap.jpg

I like the classic British Commando woollen hat ('Caps, Comforter' was the nomenclatory vernacular). It's a short, tube 'scarf' with one end closed- you can fold a portion of it up and apply it to yer noggin.
BE726.jpg

BC038.jpg

I like the Pudelmutze too- the type a U-Boat man might wear-
MVC-114S.JPG

I would like to add my condolences.

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Now I have it

Those are stocking or toboggan caps in this area (right you are Magus). Or my mother used a bastardized German term that was never clear. "Szupel" or something like that.

Thanks gentlemen. Sorry to hijack a somber thread.

furious

New in Town
I have a couple of watch caps and they are by far the warmest headgear that I own. Condolences to the gentleman who lost his Dad.

TomS

One Too Many
I'm sorry for your loss. I occasionally wear a watch cap, "dock style" while working over-nights. I'm going to wear it tonight in honor of your Dad.

Longplay

Familiar Face
U.S. Navy Watch Cap Design Questions

I've looked around for a vintage watch cap and don't really want to spend the bucks I see them going for. My wife is a great knitter and just made a sample for me based on a pattern we found on the web. She made a 1x1 weave with a 6-panel top at a length that requires a double roll. If I decide it fills the bill (and I think it does), we'll look for a more authentic yarn.

Questions:

Was the double or single roll the standard?

Does anyone have recommendations for a correct yarn?

Hercule

Practically Family
Not to dog you or otherwise suggest anything but, seriously? What prices were you seeing? Federal Army and Navy has a USN issue one for 7.99/ca.$15 shipped. I'm less than 100 yards away from an Army/Navy shop that wants to go out of business, next time I go for Thai (prob tomorrow) which is next door I'll duck in and see what they have if your interested.

Then again, having one made by the wife does have its advantages.

Reminds me - in college I had my mom knit me a cap once. I swear the thing was the size of a sleeping bag! Ah the memories.

Longplay

Familiar Face
Not to dog you or otherwise suggest anything but, seriously? What prices were you seeing? Federal Army and Navy has a USN issue one for 7.99/ca.$15 shipped. I'm less than 100 yards away from an Army/Navy shop that wants to go out of business, next time I go for Thai (prob tomorrow) which is next door I'll duck in and see what they have if your interested.

Then again, having one made by the wife does have its advantages.

Reminds me - in college I had my mom knit me a cap once. I swear the thing was the size of a sleeping bag! Ah the memories.

True vintage caps seem to go for over $100.00, which in comparison with vintage peacoats is ridiculous. They're probably just harder to find.

I've purchased one or two of the newer issues from military surplus stores and they just aren't like the one I had in the 70's. Usually they're double-lined, making a double-roll very thick, and stitched closed at the top in a way that creates a bump. To re-create a vintage look, the cap needs to be a single layer and have a decrease into a six-panel top. It is the case however, that the Red Cross WWII hand-sewn caps probably did bunch at the top because they were made a bit differently.

Regarding size, you're right about hand-knits being, well, a bit of a risk size-wise, and it's an especially sticky situation when it's made by a relative. But my wife is a great knitter and the sample she just made, albeit not out the yarn I want, is pretty darned good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner