Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Well Dressed Man by The Baron

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
One thing that stands out to me is how he addresses the issue of whether it's OK to wear a black waistcoat with white tie and tails. He makes it clear that while white waistcoat is much smarter, a black one is completely acceptable. This in 1920, not 1895. But the tail coat requires a white tie with a wing collar.
Don't understand what he means by double collar. Can someone explain? And the checked morning coat! That one came and went real fast, I guess!
This also makes me wonder when the fold down collar became acceptable with the morning suit. Also, when waistcoats other than black became OK with morning dress.
The Double Collar, is the turn-down detachable collar, as opposed to a Single (Stand Up) detachable collar. They were felt to be casual, and hence, at first inappropriate, and later, less appropriate for wear with Morning Wear which was fully formal.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why do I have the image in my head of Jeeves imperiously reading one of these columns to Bertie Wooster as B is attempting to don something wholly inappropriate?

"Dash it, Jeeves! If I wish to wear a silk hat with a jacket suit, I jolly well will!"

All the better if it turns out that "the Baron" is the nom de plume of Jeeves himself.

Last edited:

Wolf99

New in Town
As I recall, it was Bertie who penned the occasional column on What The Well Dressed Man is Wearing for Aunt Dhalia's Milady's Boudoir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21