Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Paradox of the Well-Dressed Man

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Emily Post, Orig. Pub 1922, Pub. date 1945:

The well-dressed man is a paradox. He must look as though he gave his clothes no thought and as though literally they grew on him like a rabbit's fur, and yet he must be perfectly groomed. He must be close-shaven and have his hair cut and his nails in good order (not polished). His linen must always be immaculate, his clothes "in press," his shoes perfectly done. His brown shoes must shine like old mahogany, and his white buckskin must be whitened like a prize bull terrier at a bench show.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Unfortunately the true paradox of the modern well-dressed man is that in this now uber-slobby world we live in, a well-dressed man is often assumed to be a to-be-avoided eccentric, a blatant attention-seeker, or a flamboyant homosexual.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
“Once, sissies were mistaken for gentlemen; alas, now gentlemen are mistaken for sissies.”

personally, i don't think a man should ever be TOO pristine. even the most well dressed man, to my eye, should still have a touch of roughness somewhere, even if its just one out of place fore-lock of hair, or leather shoes that are well worn (but lovingly polished) rather than immaculate.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
scotrace said:
He must look as though he gave his clothes no thought and as though literally they grew on him like a rabbit's fur, and yet he must be perfectly groomed.

Sounds like Beau Brummel.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
MudInYerEye said:
Unfortunately the true paradox of the modern well-dressed man is that in this now uber-slobby world we live in, a well-dressed man is often assumed to be a to-be-avoided eccentric, a blatant attention-seeker, or a flamboyant homosexual.

Two outta three ain't bad... ;) (I'm married, with kids...you figure out which two lol ) But seriously, I agree....even trying to dress decently will get you too many odd looks these days...I've honestly been asked the question "What are you dressed up for?", when I was wearing nothing but a button down shirt and slacks....and that's the most casual thing I ever wear!! (well, except for the hawaiian shirts...in hawaii)

"We've come a long way, indeed...my question is, are we going in the right direction?"---Grim

Twice this weekend i was accosted by older gents, both of them complimenting me highly on the state of my attire (once in late 30s DB, once in late 40s tweed SB). They seemed to enjoy reminiscing about when clothes were made well, and gents looked good as a matter of course.

I was also accosted by two separate herds of frat boys. Their comments were not so complimentary.

For once Emily Post says something interesting.

bk

Eccentric to be avoided? Ok, I can live with that one. "Get away from me kid. You bother me." :D
Truth is most people actually comment one way or the other. I went to the grocery store with the wife, probably the first time this year, and we both got four compliments on our hats before we got to the checkstand. Interesting.
I usually like being the best dressed person in the room. For some reason your opinion means more when you like like an authority. :p

Regards to all,

J

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
well, from a lady's point of view, there's nothing like a man who's wearing a crisp outfit that looks like it was made for him...I don't think it's sissy at all, it makes the man even that more attractive the more time he takes to groom himself. I think it's in the attitude or the confidence that the guy portrays that makes the difference between the 'sissy's ' and the men.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well-dressed story

Ten years ago, when I first became interested in (okay, absorbed by!) all things Golden Era, a friend and I were waiting to cross a busy city road, me dressed in a black full-drape zoot suit, my buddy in a dark blue pinstripe DB suit. Near us, seated on a bus stop with their backs to us, some elderly folks were commenting on the bizarre dress sense of "young people today" - mostly they were referring to the punks and Gothic-inspired characters they saw passing by.

A minute later, my friend and I went sauntering by, and the looks on those older people's faces were priceless! I guess it must have seemed to them that a Twilight Zone-type answer had been provided to their expression of distaste at the then common youth culture.

To everyone over fifty (except other Swing fans), I've been overdressed ever since 1995.

Benny Holiday said:
A minute later, my friend and I went sauntering by, and the looks on those older people's faces were priceless! I guess it must have seemed to them that a Twilight Zone-type answer had been provided to their expression of distaste at the then common youth culture.

Now that would have been worth a picture of those guy's faces. "Huh?":eek:
"Where am I?" [huh]

Regards,

J

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thank you...

mysterygal said:
well, from a lady's point of view, there's nothing like a man who's wearing a crisp outfit that looks like it was made for him...I don't think it's sissy at all, it makes the man even that more attractive the more time he takes to groom himself. I think it's in the attitude or the confidence that the guy portrays that makes the difference between the 'sissy's ' and the men.

For me, it's all about how you carry off the look. If your clothes and grooming are a natural extension of your personality, then you'll come across as confident and self-assured. Attractive qualities in either sex. If you're not comfortable in the clothing you choose, then you'll likely come across as awkwardly fopish.

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
I agree that there is definitely a paradox--most of the well-dressed men I see are self-centered, self-important business types who are either trying to impress with their wealth/success or heaven forbid, sell you something. In other words, conceit and arrogance run amock.

I remember as a child seeing older gentlemen wearing hats and ties and jackets or sweaters and thinking they seemed old-fashioned, at least until they showed how kind and considerate they were (and crazy about cute little kids like moi, of course!). So in my mind, the two go together.

I have yet to see this--in person--play out midst those of my own generation. Only against the backdrop of the Fedora Lounge, thus far!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
confidence and being well dressed go hand in hand....sloppiness makes a person look like they have no self respect for themselves so I can only imagine what that could do for their confidence level..while being immaculately dressed, you feel so much better inside and out and it radiates to those all around you which brings an irresistable charm about it. There is so much about how you dress that speaks to other people about you and how they will treat you in turn...for an experiment, I went to the mall, first time dressed so so, didn't really get all that great service, the second time, I was dressed very nice...the service I got was exceptional...almost catered to my every whim...it was actually kind of amusing :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
CWhetherby, I guess it's just personal experience because I've only met a few men who were well dressed but concieted...for the most part, well dressed men seem to be more gentlemanly (hope that's even a word!) than the average slob

Mr. PreKrime

New in Town
So much to know...

I use to subscribe to Atomic Magazine and by chance I happened on this site. Wow! I feel so behind in my clothes knowledge. I spent hours reading the posts last night. I have always loved the fashions of the Golden Era, but I've never been able to fit in any vintage styles. Now, I'm going to have to save so that I can have a custom suit made with the appropriate arm holes. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There's Confusion

Somewhere, somehow, the notion took hold that clothes are just something to cover your goods. Much of what I see people in now - sweat pants, track suits and the worst - men in gym shorts and soiled t-shirts (restaurant wear), seems to just be cloth thrown over the naughty bits and out the door you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy