Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Whacky News of Our Times

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just thought I'd share some great news headlines from the day. Honestly, how cool is it that you can turn on the news and feel like you're living in a comic book?

Of course, all of these are tragic and I'm not making light of others' misfortunes. However, it's simply amazing what goes on when you're not looking.

(p.s. I noticed some of the headlines have changed since I picked these up, forgive any discrepencies; I assure you, I pulled the headline directly from CNN this morning.)

"Truck Filled with Dynamite Explodes" Huh, no kidding? [huh] What's next, "Fruit Carts Knocked Over in Police Chase"?

"Five Held After Whale Killed with Machine Gun" Because the Howitzer wouldn't fit in the trunk! :eek:

"Man's Exit From Burning Home Blocked By Beer Cans" Just...wow...

Actually, the middle story was a crock--the real issue is the illegal kill, not the alleged weapon of choice which only seems to be designed to sensationalize the story and drive a particular agenda. The usual, approved plan for whale-hunting by the Makah requires a coup de grace by rifle of caliber .50BMG (the same round as the M2 .50 machine-gun, hence "BMG": "Browning Machine Gun")--in this case, it appears to have been a rifle chambered for .460 Weatherby Magnum (a dangerous-game round of even higher power). [RANT]Is the media to driven by agenda on firearms issues to even bother getting their facts straight? Geez, I even had to give a presentation in my Journalism 101 class about the institutionalized errors, glitches and built-in skew in the AP stylebook...:rolleyes:[/rant]:rage:

A major player in the local arms-collector's association was blitzing the news/talk circuit up here this AM, I got the tipoff from him.

I'd bet if I built something dead-identical to the classic hunter's Remington bolt-action but chambered for .50BMG, they'd call it a "bolt-action machine-gun", never mind that such description would be a technical impossibility to actually create... (just like "semi-automatic machine-gun", but that's beside the point.)

So what all other weird or BS news have y'all been seein' out there lately?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
"British couple's 22-year motel stop"
Can see a certain logic for their location and hotel choice, but I couldn't afford it at the Hampton, that's for sure...
I just read this and was going to post it. It’s kinda charming…in a weird, apartment/condo sort of way.

towndrunk said:
I suspect the whalers were impatiently waiting on a shipment of dynamite that never arrived so they had to resort to using a rifle....

HAHAHA lol I think you have a point, there!

Story said:
"Japanese develop solar-powered Space "Laser"" Meanwhile, Dr. Evil makes headway on harnesses' for sharks.

Haha, seriously…you guys are killing me!

I thought I would drop some more for you, too:

"Man Makes Guillotine, Uses on Self"
I thought this was a little grim...but hey, if you have a dream, shoot for the stars!

"Diapered Man Sends Teen Dirty Texts"
Amazing. Just imagine working with this guy and finding this out in your local news. Can you imagine him coming back to work when he gets out of jail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner