Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wifely Duties

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My mom had to quit as a Stewardess for Western Airlines ~1959 when she married my dad. They didn't allow it - they wanted single gals...

Well, she made her choice, and I think maybe it was a good one, at the time.

It is really something how many things have changed since then, rules wise.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Sitting down and thoroughly reading any five years' worth of the Ladies Home Journal between 1935 and 1950 would be an absolutely brain-scrambling experience for anyone who holds to the barefoot-and-pregnant image of the Golden Era woman. But no, they know better. "Oh look, a goofy ad we can ironically mock!"

I would love to be able to do a lot of the things those ladies we able to do - to be good at ironing (my Gran was brilliant at it - could bring a pretty tired outfit back to life), sewing (my skills are limited), to be able to follow a pattern etc. I wanted to do Home Economics in secondary school but the nun told my Mum I would be doing German and Science instead as I was smart - which leads me to think that Home Economics was viewed in my school as something less smart people would do. I was raging that I wasn't allowed to do it - I used to watch all the girls bringing home fairy cakes and the likes and think "I should be doing that" - instead I did German - and gave it up after two years. I really do think that HE is really looked down on nowadays - the amount of people I know who can't sew a button or cook - things you learn that you will use forever - it's quite sad really.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
In my home growing up, each "child" had a list of chores. Cleaning, sweeping, mopping, mowing, laundry, taking the trash out, and anything else either my Mother or Father may assign to us. I think it was a good thing for us to have chores, it was not anything we complained about, and gave me and my siblings some basic knowledge on how to do things.

I have to wonder why anyone that has a child, would not elect to have them do things around the house?
My kids have a list of chores, but my husband also expects them to get straight A's on their report cards. They do a lot more chores during the summer than the school year. During the school year, the only chores they have are to clean their own bedrooms, the playroom, the bathroom (one child on Tuesdays, the other on Fridays because a boys bathroom DOES need to be cleaned twice a week) and one child feeds the dogs breakfast and the other dinner.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I would love to be able to do a lot of the things those ladies we able to do - to be good at ironing (my Gran was brilliant at it - could bring a pretty tired outfit back to life), sewing (my skills are limited), to be able to follow a pattern etc. I wanted to do Home Economics in secondary school but the nun told my Mum I would be doing German and Science instead as I was smart - which leads me to think that Home Economics was viewed in my school as something less smart people would do. I was raging that I wasn't allowed to do it - I used to watch all the girls bringing home fairy cakes and the likes and think "I should be doing that" - instead I did German - and gave it up after two years. I really do think that HE is really looked down on nowadays - the amount of people I know who can't sew a button or cook - things you learn that you will use forever - it's quite sad really.

A secret not really, but when I was in High School and they had that class, Home Ec., many guys wanted to take it, it was not closed off to just gals....some of the reason was simply due to the fact of being surrounded by so many good looking females! I wanted to do the same, but the classes were all filled already, so I took a course in what was called, "Space Math". instead, which was a mix of many math standards and the beginning of physics.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My kids have a list of chores, but my husband also expects them to get straight A's on their report cards. They do a lot more chores during the summer than the school year. During the school year, the only chores they have are to clean their own bedrooms, the playroom, the bathroom (one child on Tuesdays, the other on Fridays because a boys bathroom DOES need to be cleaned twice a week) and one child feeds the dogs breakfast and the other dinner.

I think it is great for you to have them do this. Learning some skills on how to be responsible at a young age is good!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Way back in my personal history of dating, I knew a Gal that was about 25 years old, she was clueless about doing much of anything at home, her idea of cooking was to "float" it in water, no matter what it was....one load of wash for everything being washed, had no iron, and did not know the word, needle or fixing clothing. It was sooo bad, she had a Son that never personally in his life, had meat (steak, etc.,) and when taken to a Steak House (he was 6 years old) asked what was on his plate and how do you eat it? McDonalds was his only exposure to meat, and that was not very often, the poor kid was a cold cereal eater as that was his diet per his Mom's habits for him.

Needless to say, I was not in the mood to teach someone a life time worth of learning and felt I would be better off finding someone to date that at least knew more than what a Crayon was......

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think it has more to do with my location. In the DC area, people are very concerned with what one does for a living.

Yes, I can sure identify with that. I would perhaps not be very popular there. I speak my mind too much when others want to stick their nose into things like that.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
A secret not really, but when I was in High School and they had that class, Home Ec., many guys wanted to take it, it was not closed off to just gals....some of the reason was simply due to the fact of being surrounded by so many good looking females! I wanted to do the same, but the classes were all filled already, so I took a course in what was called, "Space Math". instead, which was a mix of many math standards and the beginning of physics.

Seems to me if guys were in that HE class a lot of cakes would have gotten burnt on all sides......

I think Space Math would have been the death of me ! Me and maths are not pals and would be my ultimate nightmare subject.

Kamikat - Ah, I see what you mean - I don't think things are quite the same here - the way I see it I have up to the age of 65 to work but my little girl isn't always going to be little and she's changing all the time - I don't want to miss a second if it and I'm lucky enough to not have to work so I have a this great opportunity which I'm loving and so fortunate to have.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Way back in my personal history of dating, I knew a Gal that was about 25 years old, she was clueless about doing much of anything at home, her idea of cooking was to "float" it in water, no matter what it was....one load of wash for everything being washed, had no iron, and did not know the word, needle or fixing clothing. It was sooo bad, she had a Son that never personally in his life, had meat (steak, etc.,) and when taken to a Steak House (he was 6 years old) asked what was on his plate and how do you eat it? McDonalds was his only exposure to meat, and that was not very often, the poor kid was a cold cereal eater as that was his diet per his Mom's habits for him.

Needless to say, I was not in the mood to teach someone a life time worth of learning and felt I would be better off finding someone to date that at least knew more than what a Crayon was......

Oh my....I'm sorry I had to laugh a little when I read that - that is unbelievable. Her poor little boy - although in fairness I was watching Jamie Oliver's programme and he showed some kids in a class an onion and asked them if they knew what it was - some were clueless and one poor kid offered up "Is it an apple"?

She must have been seriously coddled at home to not know anything about basic cooking skills/washing/ironing? I'm an only girl and was - well not spoilt - I was well taken care of - but my Mum showed me everything - used to make me watch her cook/iron - I found it all kinds of boring at the time but it has stood to me.

"Floating" food in water to cook it......cripes.....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Oh my....I'm sorry I had to laugh a little when I read that - that is unbelievable. Her poor little boy - although in fairness I was watching Jamie Oliver's programme and he showed some kids in a class an onion and asked them if they knew what it was - some were clueless and one poor kid offered up "Is it an apple"?

She must have been seriously coddled at home to not know anything about basic cooking skills/washing/ironing? I'm an only girl and was - well not spoilt - I was well taken care of - but my Mum showed me everything - used to make me watch her cook/iron - I found it all kinds of boring at the time but it has stood to me.

"Floating" food in water to cook it......cripes.....

Yes I recall telling her (sort of kindly) she had a style of cooking all her own, "Canoe,....no paddle!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Supervising homework is the school teacher function I mentioned previously. :p

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this, but taken the way I am reading it, this is one of the reasons we have so many problems with kids in school these days - parents are abdicating their role in their children's learning lives. Parents need to be involved to whatever level is necessary to ensure their own children's success. Passing the the child-specific appropriate level of responsibility off to others is, well, irresponsible, and damaging to the child's full potential.

PoohBang

Suspended
I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this, but taken the way I am reading it, this is one of the reasons we have so many problems with kids in school these days - parents are abdicating their role in their children's learning lives. Parents need to be involved to whatever level is necessary to ensure their own children's success. Passing the the child-specific appropriate level of responsibility off to others is, well, irresponsible, and damaging to the child's full potential.
Hey we agree on something!

Uh, what I meant referred to a previous comment I made that my wife supervises my son's homework to make sure he understands it and just plain does it. Unfortunately, so far, he learns more at home than he does at school.:rolleyes: So my experience has been quite the opposite. :eusa_doh:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Chores are such an important part of growing up. It establishes a sense of responsibility and makes it a part of a child's underlying thought patterns. Children should be given jobs as soon as they are old enough to carry them out. It becomes a regular part of their routine and they learn that life is not all about lying around playing x-box. They know that people have to do things just because things need to be done. They get the idea of being helpful and productive planted in their psyche early on when they are still impressionable.

Last edited:

noonblueapples

Familiar Face
In theory. But consider the practice.

Two kids, eleven years old. One is a boy, one is a girl. Both are asked what they'd like to learn to do.

Both say they'd like to learn to cook and sew.

Which one, in our Enlightened Modern Era, will receive bend-over-backwards encouragement and praise for embracing such "transgressive behavior" and which one will be told "hmph, you don't have to do that, wouldn't you rather play soccer?"

Until *both* of those kids are told to do whatever they want with no guff or interference from anyone, "cultural progress" is just so much bunk. And in all sincerity, we should ask ourselves: would those kids be told that today?

Having my third child in Medomak high school I can say without a doubt a girl would be encouraged, a boy discouraged by staff and ridiculed by peers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot