Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wild One

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Hey guys
Do any of you know what ever happened to the hat that Marlon Brando wore in The Wild One?

This is an iconic hat/cap and I wondered if it might be in a museum or if its one of those pieces lost to history.

Also wondering about the jacket he wore.
Had "Johnny" painted on the front and "BRMC" on the back with a skull and crossed pistons.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

WildOneBigPic.jpg

duggap

Banned
Just slightly off topic, but I saw a show on Debbie Reynolds and her son. They have a big business of buying up old movie costumes, hats, shoes, etc. For example, they have the red shoes from the Wizard of Oz. It would be interesting to make contact with them and get an inventory of the hats they own and whom they belonged to.[huh]

Edward

Bartender
I believe the Booze fighters inspried the gang in the film, though they were called Black Rebels and labelled as such. The Baron Hats replica (something about the strap along the front looked wrong to me, also not sure the colour was right....) was done in a very limited run of.... 75? 500? and priced at about five hundred bucks apiece. Too rich for my blood.... a shame, as Johnny is right at the top of movie icon costumes I've long wanted to put together, given the right event. The rest of it would be an absolute dawdle (it'd hardly be the first time I'd set about an mc with paint to replicate a costume), but getting the hat right would indeed be the tricky bit.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
While the tan is rare, finding a service cap is not that difficult. They wre common amongst cab drivers, truck and delivery drivers etc. I did see a tan one in 7 1/2 no less at a swap meet once. Should hav esnagged it. I have a grey one. Ity is kind of mute though because I can't legally wear one on my motorcycle and wouldn't feel safe anyway.

You can buy leather ones now, but they look too much like the vilage people guy or a gay leather daddy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Ya.
The Barron's one also has a weird looking bill. I think it's too long.
I have a couple old 7 point service caps. One for Pet milk and another for the post office. But I think the Brando hat is made with a larger cloth section up top.
With all the leather ones out there you would think someone would make a cloth version in camel hair.

Edward

Bartender
BigSleep said:
With all the leather ones out there you would think someone would make a cloth version in camel hair.

For sure. I know there's a big fetish / gay market for the leather ones, but you'd have thought there was enough of a niche market among fifties enthusiasts for a tan cloth one too. There's a heck of a lot of us can't manage a quiff that could be ruined by a hat.... :rolleyes:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Brando was such a unique man and he never seemed the kind of person to be much for nostalgia so I'm thinking that it's unlikely he kept his costume. It might be in the hands of a private collector or sadly, may even have been tossed out by the studio afterwards. A bit off topic: A relative of mine supposedly once owned the very motorcycle that Brando used. This relative had a lot of drug problems which led in one way or another to his either selling or losing the motorbike! I never saw it myself...just one of those family stories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21