Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wonders of Eldon's Wonder Hat Cleaner!

HatsEnough

Banned
Hear, ye, hear, ye, gather 'round folks because I am here to tell you of the wonders of modern science put to the task of making your life easier. That's right, YOU right there in that nice white Stetson hat. Don't you want your life to be easier, partner?

My friends, how often have you taken your best go-to-meeting hat, shoved it down around your ears to make your way out to town, only to have some unforgivable wind whip that beauty off your head and right down into a dirt patch? Or maybe you have those always grimy fingers and end up smudging your prize lid? Or maybe little Jack or little Jill is constantly putting their grubby little crumb-cruncher fingers all over your best topper leaving you with a stained and ruined Stetson?

Annoying isn't it folks?

There you are with your best hat that now has an unsightly dirt spot on it. Nothing could be worse! Now you have a hat with a terrible stain and you either have to buy yourself a new hat or incur the high costs of having it cleaned by an expert hatter.

Well, folks, let me tell you right now that those days are over!

Let me introduce a wonder of science to you right here, folks….

It's called Eldon's WONDER hat cleaner!

scaled.php

Here's all ya gotta do to make this wonder powder work...

scaled.php

LOL… OK… that is the snake oil sales pitch.

I bought this interesting little bit of hat ephemera on ebay several months ago just as a display item. Well, you all saw that neat little white Stetson No. 1 Quality I got in the mails today. It turns out it did, indeed, have some unsightly stains on her when she came in.

scaled.php

I'm sorry the photo isn't clearer, but you can see a stain the size of a quarter in front of the ribbon, a smaller one behind the ribbon and one up on the crown. Not pictured were two stains on the underside of the brim and another on the far side of the upper.

So, I used the cleaner and boy it really did work. It totally eliminated all the stains but a very small portion of the biggest, deepest stain. You can see that here...

scaled.php

The stain that is left is two small smudges that I can very much live with. In fact, I would think if I work it longer even those will go away.

Here are some more shots of the canister…

scaled.php

scaled.php

Obviously this is a vintage product. Happily, the canister was totally full of the hat cleaning powder, but once gone it will be truly gone. So, I won't likely use it much because I don't want to use it all up.

I think all it really is, is some pumice ground up nice and fine. After all, it acts like a sandpaper effect. I think it is less "cleaning" the hat and more grinding away the surface and taking the stain with it as it is brushed away.

I've used sand paper on a hat before and while it does get rid of stains, my problem is that the paper covers a spot much larger than the stain and I always feel like I'm grinding away more of the surface than I'd like. The Eldon's powder allowed me to cover only the stain and concentrate very closely on just the stain.

This Eldon's stuff worked really wonderfully. So, it makes me think about getting some super fine, ground pumice and seeing if it will do the same thing?

What do you guys think??

Last edited:

What do you guys think??

I think the packaging itself is plenty cool on its own. That it actually WORKS is, of course, all the better.

The label says it's for use on felts and straws, so I gotta wonder just what the heck it's made of. Something quite mildly abrasive, I suppose.

Take my guess and $2.01 to your local Starbucks and it'll get you a 16-ounce cup of coffee.

T Rick

Practically Family
Ack! Great, so now we're not only scouring the internet for decades old hats, but a "new" must have vintage miracle product is now added to our searches... :D Not sure what you paid for that stuff, but I'll bet you just quadrupled it's value on eBay. What was that name again? (Prepares eBay search preferences with email notification for... "Eldon"). Got it. ;).

On a more serious note, really glad it worked on your hat!

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
LOL, TRick. I paid the whopping price of $7 for it. So, anyone that finds another can of the stuff (how likely that is I have no idea) make sure they aren't truing to clean your wallet along with your hat!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This miracle product contains no acid or harmful abrasives. Not one. Its the best thing you can do for your hat.

(Caution: This product is filled with carcinogens, some known at the time of production, and many others discovered long after the the manufacturer was ordered by the government and an angry, pitch-fork wielding mob to cease its production. Impotence is likely, cancer is certain. May also cause irritability. By reading this sentence, you have relieved manufacturer of any liability and relinquished any and all legal rights and claims you might have otherwise asserted in connection with the purchase, possession, storage, use, and/or disposal of this truly deadly product. Man, you would have had us soooo bad. Sorry, but we called it.)

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
(Caution: This product is filled with carcinogens, some known at the time of production, and many others discovered long after the the manufacturer was ordered by the government and an angry, pitch-fork wielding mob to cease its production. Impotence is likely, cancer is certain. May also cause irritability. By reading this sentence, you have relieved manufacturer of any liability and relinquished any and all legal rights and claims you might have otherwise asserted in connection with the purchase, possession, storage, use, and/or disposal of this truly deadly product. Man, you would have had us soooo bad. Sorry.)
Oh man, now I really want some! Fir the record guys, none listed by name on eBay right now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails