Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worth of Vintage Boaters

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
Howdy all,

I was wondering if you could give me a ballpark idea of how much a vintage boater is worth....I have a customer who has about 10 of them, and wants to know.

Paulette

Let me be the first to say ...

It depends. Could be next to nothing, could be a whole lotta dough.

I've seen a truly splendid old boater or five I wouldn't take multiples of hundreds of dollars for, each, it they were mine. And I've seen others I'd sooner use as a dog food bowl as ever be seen wearing.

And ...

Prices of all sorts of "nonessential" merchandise are lower than they were a coupla-three years ago. People just aren't as loose with their bucks as they were. And most people don't yet realize how essential a vintage boater truly is. If I were counseling this customer of yours, I'd advise him to hold on to his hats.

The readiest way to get a sense of what almost anything collectible is worth is to check what it sells for on eBay. But even then, an item that goes for X number of dollars one week might sell for several times that the next. And then there are the other variables, such as seller's description, etc.

So, I suppose it's worth what you can get someone to pay for it. Yeah, I know, that's a cliche if ever there was one, but there's a reason cliches catch on.

EDIT: Another HUGE factor is size. If they're all 6 5/8s, they'd attract much less interest than if they were 7 3/8s.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I agree with everything Tony posted. If you need something a little more specific, provide the make, size, and condition - though photos is possible.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Go on Ebay and "watch" every boater you see. Then check the final selling prices and compare that to the size, condition, quality, etc. That will give you as reliable a rule of thumb as anything.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Vintage Boaters are fairly common compared to other vintage straw hats. Most will sell for between 15 and 100 depending on the size , name of the company and condition. Larger sizes will sell for more.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou