Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
AD590F43-07C7-47D0-8FE5-F4EBA6BA400F.jpeg
I just added the new 124060 Submariner this week. I really like that they’ve gone back to their more vintage design aesthetic.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
46mm, weight with steel bracelet about a half pound, just a ten bucks Ronda quartz movement in there but though only about three seconds per month ahead.

full

Last edited:

Turnip

My smallest watch is about 40mm and does also wear quite comfortable for me, will post a pic occasionally.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Some YouTube watch reviewers say the fashion for dinner plate sized watches comes via Sylvester Stallone in some key movies. I have no idea if this was the tipping point towards hugeness. But given this a site dedicated to vintage, it's fair to say that people like Hemingway, Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart wore tiny watches (34 to 36 mm) by today's standards.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Some YouTube watch reviewers say the fashion for dinner plate sized watches comes via Sylvester Stallone in some key movies. I have no idea if this was the tipping point towards hugeness. But given this a site dedicated to vintage, it's fair to say that people like Hemingway, Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart wore tiny watches (34 to 36 mm) by today's standards.

You rang?
My grandfather's 1926 Waltham. Not a large watch.
IMG_7567.jpg

Last edited:

Turnip

Depended certainly on the job. Here’s a pic of an original sized golden age Laco B-Type pilot watch replica, diameter 55mm....:D

https://www.laco.de/en/watches/pilot-watch-original/pilot-watch-replica-1

861930-tablet.jpg

Last edited:

Turnip

Maybe you should have considered a way less busy model like a Baumuster-A instead then.

https://www.laco.de/en/watches/pilo...t-watch-saarbruecken-erbstueck-45mm-automatic

Available from Steinhart cheapos up to IWC.

Those Panerai you mentioned to have been „introduced“ by Mrs. Stallone have been produced since late 1930s by the way.
The rest is just fashion, like pilot leather jackets, Bomber jackets, engineer boots...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Maybe you should have considered a way less busy model like a Baumuster-A instead then.

https://www.laco.de/en/watches/pilo...t-watch-saarbruecken-erbstueck-45mm-automatic

Available from Steinhart cheapos up to IWC.

Those Panerai you mentioned to have been „introduced“ by Mrs. Stallone have been produced since late 1930s by the way.
The rest is just fashion, like pilot leather jackets, Bomber jackets, engineer boots...

I didn't say there were no large watches in the golden age only that they were highly atypical. You know my dad gave me a present of many thousands of dollars some time ago and said 'go buy a watch or car' - it was a thank you for some help I gave him. I was totally unable to think of anything I wanted enough to buy. The money remains untouched a couple of years later.

Curiously, on the subject of large watches I totally forgot that my favourite watch is a 44mm Vostok 1968 Amphibian. I prefer it to the equally gigantic Seiko 6105 diver of the same period. The Vostok cost $100. I think I like it because it has a small dial despite the width and no date. I hate how dates ruin a watch face. I don't think I'll need another watch for ten years. No matter how large or small.

vostok.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21