The wrist watch.

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Wild Root, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've got a Poljot somewhere, a more basic one, but a nice watch. Also fond of my Vostoks. Very affordable - I think I paid thirty quid for my last Vostok about ten years ago - but solid, reliable, and no worries about taking them out and wearing them.

busmatt and Trenchfriend like this.
  2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Tuesday to Wednesday:

-12 seconds

viclip likes this.
  3. Trenchfriend

Wednesday to Thursday:

-12 seconds

Maybe, the drift has levelled off.

viclip likes this.
  4. Trenchfriend

I can already say, that the drift of my Miyota 82S5 is good. Fully wound up, it's less than ten seconds.

millan and viclip like this.
  5. viclip

viclip Practically Family

Yes, Miyota mechanical movements have a good reputation.

Trenchfriend and millan like this.
  6. Raul

Raul Familiar Face

I love vintage watches, here is an Eterna Kontiki first series from 1958 (my birth year) with radium indexes, in wonderful conditions for a 60+ years watch:
    [​IMG]

And here it is with his brothers Kontikis from mid 60s and early 70s (this last one found in NOS conditions):

[​IMG]

millan, RIOT, kittyhawk and 10 others like this.
  7. Raul

Raul Familiar Face

from early 70s, first LED watches (Pulsar):

[​IMG]

and the first LCD watch (Seiko 0624 lemon face):

[​IMG]

8. Raul

Raul Familiar Face

Seiko 6139 "Pogue" with yellow dial (classical 70s look):

[​IMG]

and Seiko 6105 "apocalypse now"

[​IMG]

millan, handymike, kittyhawk and 8 others like this.
  9. Raul

Raul Familiar Face

And here is an early 60s Nivada Grenchen Chronomaster

[​IMG]

10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Love those Pulsars!
    And the KonTikis!!!!!!!

11. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

My question about watches may not qualify a post here but won't hurt to try, :)

It's about the low end solar watches by Citizen, Seiko etc. that don't have a battery status indicator. It's just a basic watch with three hands, so, how would I know the charging status?

12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Not sure what you mean by 'charging status' but they basically run until they don't. When they stop (after a few months in the darkness) they can be made to live again by sticking them on the window sill.

My Dad's Citizen solar watch has run without any issues for 20 years. My suspicion is the minute hand will skip to every second second when the battery is no longer charging properly in a decade or two.

13. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Thanks Seb, by charging status I meant the battery life/status (like, how many bars is left), it is solar but still involves a energy storage unit, so it is not a binary thing, "has electricity" vs "no electricity". But I understand that it'd run normally as long as there is some electricity.

14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yep - that's what I thought you meant. :D Maybe I expressed my response badly. The watches don't tell you what charge there is as this doesn't really serve a practical purpose. The thing will run in the pitch black for months before it goes dead. It needs almost no light to function fully. The only thing you need to know with these things is when the capacitor is no longer charging in a decade or two.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  15. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Thanks Sebs. A little update, so, I aggressively charged my Seiko Astron, via an Amazon LED charger, combined with sunlight. Interestingly, after hours and hours of the LED, the indicator FINALLY moved from E to the middle. However, after that, it stayed at the middle. Then, miraculously, after an afternoon of sunlight yesterday, it pointed to F. However, after the watched came indoor for a while, the pointer went back to the middle again?????

16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think watches with fewer complications are best - unless it's a Casio G-Shock (ugly as sin but with a huge fan base), which is all about the complications. I guess your indicator is not working properly. :D

17. William G.

William G. One of the Regulars

This is going to sound weird, but there are certain types of batteries that have a much longer life if they don't stay fully charged. Some hybrid cars, for instance, charge their batteries to 80% capacity and no higher, to promote longevity. It could be that your watch is designed to keep from overcharging the battery, and the power reserve will mostly stay in that middle area.

If this is a watch you've had for a while and this power reserve behavior is different than normal, you might want to contact Seiko customer service or take it to an authorized dealer.

18. Trenchfriend

Storebrand lady. ;)

Attached Files:

busmatt likes this.
  19. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

Open the pod bay door HAL

busmatt and Boomerang like this.
  20. Trenchfriend

Grabbed a nice new no-bullshit ladies quartz, today! :D