Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

Edward

Bartender
Here is my new watch !
It's the same watch as Russian cosmonauts/pilots from 1960's : Poljot "Strela" chronograph cal.3017 (year 1966)

attachment.php

I've got a Poljot somewhere, a more basic one, but a nice watch. Also fond of my Vostoks. Very affordable - I think I paid thirty quid for my last Vostok about ten years ago - but solid, reliable, and no worries about taking them out and wearing them.

Raul

One of the Regulars
I love vintage watches, here is an Eterna Kontiki first series from 1958 (my birth year) with radium indexes, in wonderful conditions for a 60+ years watch:
VyaSrWN.jpg

And here it is with his brothers Kontikis from mid 60s and early 70s (this last one found in NOS conditions):

R2EtZeU.jpg

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My question about watches may not qualify a post here but won't hurt to try, :)

It's about the low end solar watches by Citizen, Seiko etc. that don't have a battery status indicator. It's just a basic watch with three hands, so, how would I know the charging status?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My question about watches may not qualify a post here but won't hurt to try, :)

It's about the low end solar watches by Citizen, Seiko etc. that don't have a battery status indicator. It's just a basic watch with three hands, so, how would I know the charging status?

Not sure what you mean by 'charging status' but they basically run until they don't. When they stop (after a few months in the darkness) they can be made to live again by sticking them on the window sill.

My Dad's Citizen solar watch has run without any issues for 20 years. My suspicion is the minute hand will skip to every second second when the battery is no longer charging properly in a decade or two.

regius

Thanks Seb, by charging status I meant the battery life/status (like, how many bars is left), it is solar but still involves a energy storage unit, so it is not a binary thing, "has electricity" vs "no electricity". But I understand that it'd run normally as long as there is some electricity.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Seb, by charging status I meant the battery life/status (like, how many bars is left), it is solar but still involves a energy storage unit, so it is not a binary thing, "has electricity" vs "no electricity". But I understand that it'd run normally as long as there is some electricity.

Yep - that's what I thought you meant. :D Maybe I expressed my response badly. The watches don't tell you what charge there is as this doesn't really serve a practical purpose. The thing will run in the pitch black for months before it goes dead. It needs almost no light to function fully. The only thing you need to know with these things is when the capacitor is no longer charging in a decade or two.

Last edited:

regius

Thanks Sebs. A little update, so, I aggressively charged my Seiko Astron, via an Amazon LED charger, combined with sunlight. Interestingly, after hours and hours of the LED, the indicator FINALLY moved from E to the middle. However, after that, it stayed at the middle. Then, miraculously, after an afternoon of sunlight yesterday, it pointed to F. However, after the watched came indoor for a while, the pointer went back to the middle again?????

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think watches with fewer complications are best - unless it's a Casio G-Shock (ugly as sin but with a huge fan base), which is all about the complications. I guess your indicator is not working properly. :D

William G.

One of the Regulars
Thanks Sebs. A little update, so, I aggressively charged my Seiko Astron, via an Amazon LED charger, combined with sunlight. Interestingly, after hours and hours of the LED, the indicator FINALLY moved from E to the middle. However, after that, it stayed at the middle. Then, miraculously, after an afternoon of sunlight yesterday, it pointed to F. However, after the watched came indoor for a while, the pointer went back to the middle again?????

This is going to sound weird, but there are certain types of batteries that have a much longer life if they don't stay fully charged. Some hybrid cars, for instance, charge their batteries to 80% capacity and no higher, to promote longevity. It could be that your watch is designed to keep from overcharging the battery, and the power reserve will mostly stay in that middle area.

If this is a watch you've had for a while and this power reserve behavior is different than normal, you might want to contact Seiko customer service or take it to an authorized dealer.

Grabbed a nice new no-bullshit ladies quartz, today! :D

Attachments

• IMGP7542.JPG
    IMGP7542.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 995
  • IMGP7543.JPG
    IMGP7543.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,070
  • IMGP7545.JPG
    IMGP7545.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,296

Forum statistics