Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They are fun watches, Trenchy and I have had one or two myself over the years but I don't see how a piece of disposable plastic fits into the Fedora Lounge aesthetic which is about celebrating the best of the golden era - generally early and mid 20th century. A 1950 Omega, sure. A reproduction vintage Longines, yep. But a black resin cased digital watch? Not so much.

CSG

Familiar Face
While I have some inherited vintage watches (1955 Hamilton Dorsey, early 1960's Omega Constellation, late 60's Tissot), I prefer wearing one of my Rolex's or Omega Speedmaster Pro. These are getting to be of vintage age as well. I prefer wearing a modern, durable wristwatch. Then again, I don't dress vintage so much as ivy league.

HanauMan

Practically Family
One problem that I have with vintage watches is that the ones I can afford, though in good working order and quite nice, tend to be too small for me. I feel like I'm wearing a Lady's watch. The bigger ones tend to cost more than I can justifiably afford. I'm not a suit guy, so I don't like the little 'dress' watches. A nice big vintage German Luftwaffe watch, or something like it, would be nice but too expensive. But I'll continue to look around in thrift stores and antique places, you never know....

viclip

Practically Family
One problem that I have with vintage watches is that the ones I can afford, though in good working order and quite nice, tend to be too small for me. I feel like I'm wearing a Lady's watch. The bigger ones tend to cost more than I can justifiably afford. I'm not a suit guy, so I don't like the little 'dress' watches. A nice big vintage German Luftwaffe watch, or something like it, would be nice but too expensive. But I'll continue to look around in thrift stores and antique places, you never know....
Since you like pocket watches, have you considered housing one in a wrist strap converter? I've seen 2 types, the traditional leather open-faced leather pouch, as well as a metal contraption which grasps the watch case with little feet. They've both been produced commercially now & then, the leather pouch variety can always be custom made.

It's interesting how these converters became popular around World War I as transitional devices allowing gents to use their pocket watches as wrist watches & also allowing the pocket watch manufacturers the ability to dispose of their inventories in the face of the sudden shift in popularity from the pocket to the wrist.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Since you like pocket watches, have you considered housing one in a wrist strap converter? I've seen 2 types, the traditional leather open-faced leather pouch, as well as a metal contraption which grasps the watch case with little feet. They've both been produced commercially now & then, the leather pouch variety can always be custom made.

It's interesting how these converters became popular around World War I as transitional devices allowing gents to use their pocket watches as wrist watches & also allowing the pocket watch manufacturers the ability to dispose of their inventories in the face of the sudden shift in popularity from the pocket to the wrist.

Hi,

No, that is something I hadn't thought about for wearing. However, I was aware of these converters as they have been shown on TV here recently, in a show about WWI. As you say, these became more common in that period as a direct result of officers and NCOs needing to have a more convenient method of checking the time. Thus the modern wristwatch was born in the hell and mud of the trenches.

I now have a little leather case for my pocket watch, so I can keep it in my pocket whenever I go 'wristwatchless'.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

And that's precisely why I like vintage watches: they are small and understated. Like Trenchy's plastic thing only venerable. I can't get behind all those fashionable and showy watches that are the size of a dinner plate with messy dials crammed full of unnecessary nonsense. :D

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
In the hat thread every so often it's pointed out that most vintage men's hats are too small for today's heads. Although not conclusive, there are surviving statistics on hat production which indicate that the most popular hat sizes in say the 1920s, were indeed markedly smaller than today's most popular head sizes. Many a baby boomer has bemoaned the fact that we cannot get into the hats purchased by our fathers & uncles in the 1950s.

So of course I'm wondering out loud whether the wrist size of the typical man a hundred years ago, was noticeably smaller than today. If so, this would account for the feeling of many that vintage wristwatches just seem too small on us. For example I'm partial to the rectangular-shaped LIP T18 wristwatch which was produced 1933-1949 however its 22 mm width does seem on the small side whenever I put one on. Additionally if the original strap is still attached to the watch, I'm lucky if using the largest hole position will wrap around my wrist, even if so it's somewhat tight & I must seek out a larger strap.

While smaller sized wristwatches could have been a stylish reaction against the much larger pocket watches (which themselves were decreasing in size over the years), perhaps another factor was simply that back in the day men had smaller wrists which harmonized better with those earlier wristwatches.

I've never come across statistics pertaining to men's wrist sizes then & now but if such exist some light could be shed on this issue.

HanauMan

Practically Family
I'm not a fan of those modern oversized fashion watches with all the dials. Nor do I like those tiny digital watches. I wore one in the 80s, a Seiko. I still have it but it is so small it looks suitable for a child. For the past decade I've worn an Omega (and yes, I know that I have contradicted myself!! - but you know what I mean??!!).

View media item 1458
I agree that people are larger today, in general, than in the first half of the last century. I suppose that people have benefitted from the advances in health care and food production since the end of WWII. Looking at my nieces and nephews, they are taller, and heavier, than what my friends and I were at the same age. Back in the 70s / early 80s when I was in junior high and high school it was unusual to see many 'large' kids and they tended to be that way due to health issues. When I buy vintage clothing I always have to size up; I'm a modern size 40 but need vintage sizes 42 - 44 to fit. I read somewhere that every generation is a bit taller than the previous one. So I suppose that wrist circumferences have indeed increased since 'The Golden Age' as well.

viclip

Practically Family
I'm not a fan of those modern oversized fashion watches with all the dials. Nor do I like those tiny digital watches. I wore one in the 80s, a Seiko. I still have it but it is so small it looks suitable for a child. For the past decade I've worn an Omega (and yes, I know that I have contradicted myself!! - but you know what I mean??!!).

View media item 1458
I agree that people are larger today, in general, than in the first half of the last century. I suppose that people have benefitted from the advances in health care and food production since the end of WWII. Looking at my nieces and nephews, they are taller, and heavier, than what my friends and I were at the same age. Back in the 70s / early 80s when I was in junior high and high school it was unusual to see many 'large' kids and they tended to be that way due to health issues. When I buy vintage clothing I always have to size up; I'm a modern size 40 but need vintage sizes 42 - 44 to fit. I read somewhere that every generation is a bit taller than the previous one. So I suppose that wrist circumferences have indeed increased since 'The Golden Age' as well.
I could also make do with an Omega Speedmaster Professional, any size at all would fit perfectly ... :)

Edward

Bartender
Back in May I ordered one of those Invicta watches from Amazon - a made in US (Japanese movement) "tribute" to the Rolex Connery wore as Bond. Noone wouldc be fooled into thinking it was a "real Rolex" - w2hich is fine by me - but it has that generci classic look to it. I also added a nylon Bond-style strap. Keeping *excellent* time so far.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Huge watches were a 1970's thing too. I think it's more the case that because a watch is a statement piece and as the culture has become more ostentatious and overstated in every way, our watches have become inflated too. I'm always amused by the popularity of divers watches. I have enjoyed them over they years and have a great Seiko turtle. But I have never dived. I have no fondness for water, I just like the easy to read numerals.

Talbot

One Too Many

I picked up a nice 39mm Cuervo Sobrinos watch on the 'bay recently for some $60 so large vintage are still out there.

If you want size check out the current Orient Bambino

HanauMan

Practically Family
Yes, they're beautiful watches. I especially like the Orient Bambino with the blue face. Next time I'm in town I'll see whether they're on sale at the fancy watch store downtown and, if so, I'll have a closer look.

It certainly looks better than my number two watch (number one is my Omega), a Seiko Kinetic which I bought in the late 1990s. I only wear it when I'm out hiking these days.
View media item 1484

Last edited:

RichardOfYork

New in Town
Ok, what is the watch most here prefer? For the die hard purests of the 30's and 40's do you wear vintage time pieces? Or do you go with a battery powered modern look-alike?

I have seen a very strong 30's and 40's style revival in men's watches. However they are quite a bit larger in size then the originals. Today I guess men must feel that they have to strap on a school wall clock to their wrists to feel masculine.

I have a few nice wrist watches in my collection. I have to be careful to just have a few of these lovely guys seeing there is another whole world of collecting I could be consumed in!

I have one 1940 Bulova 15 jewel, a 1936 Bulova 14 Jewel and a 1933 Elgin 7 jewel. They keep very good time and if wound up right, could last almost two days long.

If you are one who wants to dress 100% vintage, a classic wrist or pocket watch is a must! Or, if you're just some one who loves good looking watches, they make great conversation pieces.

I'll post some photos of my watches soon, in the mean time, lets see some or hear about some of them.

Cheers,

Root.
Fine words..and sounds like you have some fine watches. I think it's mostly important to be well hatted, well shod and to have a timepiece to hand and a lighter. oh and mb a penknife (and lots of money)

But I tell you, I got four wrist-watches, but finally, the classic black Casio F91W is my daily favorite, just because of its absolute useful flatness! Practical under all conditions, especially under any kind of jacket-sleeves. Really versatile, loveable. :)

I've come full circle with watches.
On the left is my 20 year old Tag- a gift, and I wear it most every day. I got into more expensive ones about 8 years ago. First was the Heuer Monaco, then Omega Ranchero, then Omega Railmaster....(for sale soon). I didn't really wear them much. Now I've bought a black version of my original Tag, and a $50 seiko 5. I think my bases are covered...
IMG_3112.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff